High Idle temps

pdinc

Limp Gawd
I have a scythe ninja mounted on my p4 560 in a p180 case. My load temps go upto ~63 deg C, which i am told is pretty normal, but my idle are around 50-55, which is too high IMO. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? All my fans are on at full speed, the back and top fans are exhausting and the one on the ninja is blowing into the HS at full speed.

take off the HSF. Clean off the thermal paste. re apply. Remount HSF. test again.
you should be getting at least 35C idle

This happened the first time, so I took out my motherboard, remounted the ninja carefully, but it didn't fix it. I put a rice grain size dollop of AS5 on the center.... should I have spread it out though? It didn't cover the whole surface of the chip, but i was also told that you shouldn't spread out the paste on a chip with an IHS.

Same problem here allthough they are not as high as yours. I just installed the scyte ninja and i get the exact same temps as i did with the stock cooler. I am 100% sure that its mounted correctly and I tried spreading the thermal paste but no effect. Also I get weird temps with asus probe. From what i understand the temps there should be lower then the temps on TAT. But here they are higher and very unstable (idle). My idle temps are 39-42 (asus probe says 42-46). My load temps are about 62-64 (both cores 100%).

I have a P160 case with 2 120mm fans. I felt the heat sink of the scyte while it was on full load and it barely even felt warm. You'd say that the Heatsink is not touching the chip properly. But that cant be since I installed it correctly. All this is at stock temps btw.. I bought the scyte so I could overclock my cpu but with these temps I dont dare to do so.

Same problem here allthough they are not as high as yours. I just installed the scyte ninja and i get the exact same temps as i did with the stock cooler. I am 100% sure that its mounted correctly and I tried spreading the thermal paste but no effect. Also I get weird temps with asus probe. From what i understand the temps there should be lower then the temps on TAT. But here they are higher and very unstable (idle). My idle temps are 39-42 (asus probe says 42-46). My load temps are about 62-64 (both cores 100%).

I have a P160 case with 2 120mm fans. I felt the heat sink of the scyte while it was on full load and it barely even felt warm. You'd say that the Heatsink is not touching the chip properly. But that cant be since I installed it correctly. All this is at stock temps btw.. I bought the scyte so I could overclock my cpu but with these temps I dont dare to do so.

Same here, the ninja barely feels warm. Could the bottom surface not be even?

My Idles are probably higher because its a P4, and apparently its one of the hottest P4 chips ever released :).

Im just incredibly pissed that I paid so much for a HS that isnt even doing its job properly.

Oh yea i forgot to say that i have a E6600. On another forum i read that a uneven IHS might be causing the problem. Some of the early batches had this. Mine is from september tho which aint that early. But i cant think of anything else causing this. Seeing no temp change what so ever between a intel stock cooler and a high end cooler like the scyte ninja is just not good. I'll see if i can still get mine exchanged for another if warranty covers it.

Was there any plastic film covering the bottom of the cooler? I've seen people forget to remove this and have heat related problems. However, it's simply a question since I'm unsure if Scythe even ships their coolers with this film...

I think there might some issues with Scythe Ninja in the actual machining of the finished product, not the design. As in not perfectly flat. When I got my Zalman 9700 the surface that mates with the CPU looks like a mirror finish.

Not in my case. The stock cooler gave the same temps which were still way too high compared to others. I do have to say that when i installed the ninja today it bottom didn't really look that flat. Not compared to the intel cooler anyway.

I removed the film, Ill check for flatness later this week.

How do I check when the cooler was made? And if the thing isn't even, what can I do? I bought it from the egg but bent a few fins when I dropped it by mistake :(

Its only cosmetically visible, the fins aren't bent to an extent that airflow is blocked.

Try to make it even yourself maybe ? I dont know if this is possible. People have done it with their IHS tho. I gues there cant go much wrong if you try it on your cooler. I'll check these things later since i'm out of thermal paste atm.

Edit:

I just checked and all seems to be fine here. It doesn't look uneven. I also tried without the fan and that gave me only 2 degrees higher idle temp, so its obvious the scyte is barely absorbing any heat at all. Tried with less thermal paste agian this time (the normal amount) and i seem to get 5 degrees higher load temps now :/.

That ruins warranty right ? No i haven't. I sent a email to my supplier seeing if i can exchange the core2duo for another one just because the temps are too high. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Ruins the warranty of what? The processor? The processor warrranty is hosed as soon as you overclock your CPU.

As for warranty on the heatsink.... why? I've never had a heatsink "fail" ever, however I have had a fan fail and that's an easy fix... simply replace the fan.

I thought you ment lapping the processor itself (the part where it touches the cooler hs). I think the problem is there but I cant be sure. I'll see what my supplier says before i try anything else.

Do you think the mechanical enginering department at my university would have something better to lap than sandpaper?

EDIT: Saw the thread here and my ninja shows the same imprint. Guess that means its a concave HS :(

I got confirmation that I can send the cpu for RMA. Now i only have to find something to send the cpu in :/. I havent got the original packaging anymore. Any tips ?

Back