• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

High end power supply- Help!

mastermike707

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
93
I am currently looking for a big power supply for a high-end system, it needs to power:

7 120mm Fans (a couple of these are linked together, but it still seemed significant to mention)
1 80mm Fan
1 Xigmatek CPU Cooler
1 4870 + Acclero S2 Cooler (with turbo module)
2 Optical drives ( both sata, one is a blu-ray rom and the other a dvd burner)
4 SATA 750GB Harddrives
1 45nm Intel Quad 9450

Could I get some recommendations? I need at minimum 6 satas and the more molexes the better, I don't really care how it looks, I just want lots of amperage on the 12Vs.
I am currently looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148035
or the 900W edition: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148036

On a sidenote, should I change out the 4870 in this build for a 4870 X2 considering that the client is going to be doing heavy graphics rendering? Or should I just stick with the 4870?
 
Ditch those Apevia ASAP! Apevia is well known for making shoddy over-rated low quality PSUs that are more than capable of killing hardware. Unless you want a client with a dead PC for a paperweight, ditch those Apevia PSUs right away.

That Silencer 750 you chose is a good choice. You might also want to check out this PSU though:
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - $98

And what graphics rendering software will he be using?
 
Ditch those Apevia ASAP! Apevia is well known for making shoddy over-rated low quality PSUs that are more than capable of killing hardware. Unless you want a client with a dead PC for a paperweight, ditch those Apevia PSUs right away.

Really? I have two comps currently with Apevia (well their former name) power supplies, one is three years old, the other is around five, never had a power problem, and they seem pretty solid.

Not sure what kind of software he will be using.

I am really thinking that 750 is sort of the minimum for this system, I would really rather pay a little bit more and get a supply with more capacity.
 
Really? I have two comps currently with Apevia (well their former name) power supplies, one is three years old, the other is around five, never had a power problem, and they seem pretty solid.

Yes really:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=92
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=79
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=78

I once had an Apevia PSU and it took out six hard drives over time. I would never recommend anyone getting an Apevia PSU. Especially since there are significantly better quality PSUs for cheaper (the Corsair and PC P&C)
 
Well, both the 750TX and the Silencer 750 has 60A on the +12V rail. Both are in fact a bit overkill for that rig. A good quality 500W PSU with at least 40A on the +12V rail will be enough for that rig. So any of those 750W PSUs mentioned in this thread are good choices.
 
I recommend the Corsair VX550W, simply because I doubt that system would use even 350W under load. For $75 AR, you can't go wrong, and spending more money on a 750+W PSU seems a little pointless to me. You could even go with the cheaper VX450 for $60 AR, and that would be plenty. The PSUs Danny suggested are excellent units, but based on the power requirements, they're also unnecessary.

By the way, the VX550 has a single-rail design that provides 41A on the 12v line (492W rated output), which is way more than enough for that system.
 
Back
Top