• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

High 2500K temp playing BC2

BlizzofOZ

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
166
Just getting my rig together... running only on stock cooler are pretty much default BIOS setting.

Regular computer use I low temps... yet when I run BC2, I get very high (85 to 90 c) temps.
I installed Fallout 3 and played it for a bit, low temps.

What could be causing this?
Any suggestions?
FYI: I'll be getting a H70 within next couple of weeks, but would like to bring down those BC2 temps!
 
What are your ambient temps like? What sort of airflow/cooling does your case have? What GPU(s) do you run and what are those load temps like?
 
Ambient/room temp is 23c.
Stock 2500K cpu cooler with Arctic Silver 5 (although on the old side from last build).
Airflow is front intake and back outtake fans. ATM, case is open as I just built it.
I have new HD6950 and... load temps of the HD6950? Not sure what that means.
Do you mean temps with playing BC2?
 
BC2 just rapes CPUs. I have an OCed watercooled 2500k that IBT/P95 load around 70-73 degrees, and BC2 brings it to about 62-64 degrees which is pretty ridiculous for a game to load a CPU like that, but thats BC2.
 
Could be... but wow!

I understand that its a crappy cooler... and that it could be improperly seated. Took it off and put it back on with no changes. Could be old AS 5? I put some out and mixed it up.

I'm still learning and found out about CPUID's Hardware Monitor. Core temps are varying:
Core 0 43c
Core 1 36
Core 2 40
Core 3 33
 
Last edited:
Crappy cooler + BC2 = High CPU temps. All there really is to it. Im sure your mounting and paste are fine...the game really is nearly as harsh as stress testing.
 
hmm, i'm only about low 70's on stock cooler for BC2.

Really??? I removed and reseated the stock cooler... I noticed that I may not have pushed the pins thru enough to make them click the first time, but 2nd time I'm still getting high temps.

I brought down my cpu clock to 30.0 just to keep temps down.

So I'm not sure now... maybe my 5+ year old AS 5 is the problem?
The newer cpus don't have pins but the "bumps", so I couldn't have bent a pin.

Any suggesstions?
 
Last edited:
Since you are planning on getting the H70 anyway, hold off on playing BC2 until that arrives. BC2 is pretty CPU intensive although, I'm surprised its getting into the high 80s even with the stock heatsink. Is it really that shitty?

Do you have a floor fan you can point at the system?
 
Check your bios voltage. Sometimes boards auto voltages are set high. Which could indicate higher temps
 
Check your bios voltage. Sometimes boards auto voltages are set high. Which could indicate higher temps

what are the stock volts on the 2600k? I had a H50 mounted on mine and in bios I was idling 48-50c in and used MX2 paste and remounted 3 times same results aswell same results on a A70 cooler push pull config in a good air flow case (cooler master storm sniper) :confused:
 
You mentioned you knocked the multiplier down to 30. What were you running it at before? A combination of an overclock, plus automatic voltage, plus lousy cooling could easily result in those temps.
 
I know that my waterloop gets really warm after a half hour of BFBC2. Even warmer than running Intel Burn test for the same amount of time. I think that the videocard and chipset are getting hot and dumping heat within the case, raising the temperatures above what just 100% cpu load can do.
With an air cooled system, it will be even more noticeable.
.
 
Did you do a proper job of removing the TIM that comes installed on the Intel stock HSF? If all you did was put AS5 over it, that could cause your higher temps.
 
I dont know what the normal voltage is I think its between 1.15-1.2

For me Prime runs the CPU hotter than BFBC2 does. I use an H50, it just doesnt make sense that it runs it hotter.
 
BFBC2 eats quads....well not as much as Prime95 on all four at 100% but compared to other games, BFBC2 will do it. Consider you also are probably having the video card dumping heat into the case as well where running cpu stress tests you aren't.
 
yah those temps are pretty high. i have the 2600k w/ a hyper 212+ push/pull and my cpu cores never get over 62 degrees, even with prime95.
 
Different arch and temp diode locations
. My 955be has never topped 50c on the stock cooler, at stock coca. Amd rates deneb at 65c iirc
Posted via Mobile Device
 
Check your bios voltage. Sometimes boards auto voltages are set high. Which could indicate higher temps

You mentioned you knocked the multiplier down to 30. What were you running it at before? A combination of an overclock, plus automatic voltage, plus lousy cooling could easily result in those temps.

My cpu ratio was set at 37.0.

I've never changed voltage... any instructions on how/where to do that?
In the meantime, I'll try to figure that out myself.
Asus P8P67 Deluxe mobo


Did you do a proper job of removing the TIM that comes installed on the Intel stock HSF? If all you did was put AS5 over it, that could cause your higher temps.

I believe I did... I put a small dollop AS5 right in the middle of the cpu. What else would you put with AS5?


I think that the videocard and chipset are getting hot and dumping heat within the case, raising the temperatures above what just 100% cpu load can do.

Could be, but the temps rise instantly when I run BC2.

I'm thinking my voltage is auto set high and will find that when I get home. I'm new to overclocking and/or setting of this nature, so I appreciate all your help.

I've ordered a Corsair H70 and should be in tomorrow.
 
I've got the H50 on my 2600K (reapplied Arctic Silver after exchanging the motherboard) and when I play BC2 I don't think I've ever seen the temps breach 60C.
 
Back
Top