hi-speed DSL question

I have a question I have been wondering about, I have Hi-Speed DSL that just came in few days ago, and is the Speed the same, weather or not I use my wireless connection or if i plug it directly into my computer?

My cousin told me, its the same speed if i use my netgear router and run it wireless rather then just plug it into my computer directly.

the DSL is 8.0mbps if that helps

Yes. However, if you're playing a FPS, you may experience a slight delay. I don't when I play wirelessly, but I know some people do.

Don't forget to secure your connection :]

wireless DOES have a slight lag, no matter what people 'notice' it is there.... try pinging your router for instance..... wired it should be less than 1ms.... wireless with a GOOD signal will be 1-2ms.... worse signal could even take it up as high as 10ms....

Posts asking "how come speedtest.net gives 2 Mb/s faster with wired than with wireless" are not uncommon. Unless wireless gives you some significant advantage, and even in some cases where it does, wired is better.

If you get lucky and tune things properly, then you can get download speeds using wireless which are essentially the same as with wired.

But after about 15 Mb/s internet speed, it gets increasingly difficult for wireless to keep up.

Posts asking "how come speedtest.net gives 2 Mb/s faster with wired than with wireless" are not uncommon. Unless wireless gives you some significant advantage, and even in some cases where it does, wired is better.

If you get lucky and tune things properly, then you can get download speeds using wireless which are essentially the same as with wired.

But after about 15 Mb/s internet speed, it gets increasingly difficult for wireless to keep up.

Not to mention the random connection drops which can wreak havoc on some applications.

Not to mention the random connection drops which can wreak havoc on some applications.

Yep, or it was good yesterday when I was measuring, but is bad today when I'm using the microwave / cordless phone / baby monitor / etc., or worse, for completely unknown reasons. (E.g. the neighbor just got a new draft 802.11n toy, and is blasting the region with it..)

As long as the connection strength is good, lag and speed should be no issue with wireless.

The only thing that gets annoying with Wireless is when connection drops happen, for me is the microwave, as soon as I turn it on 1/2 the house instantly drops wifi coverage.

Wire is best when you can, if not wireless is not all bad if you can get a good signal. I personally prefer wire as I have a file server and network to network transfers are faster with the wire :)

I can't wait until everything goes over the power cord. Kind of like POE but for everything instead of just wireless ap's and phones.

I can't wait until everything goes over the power cord. Kind of like POE but for everything instead of just wireless ap's and phones.

Won't happen soon. A/C is too noisy, and the only methods we have for circumventing that is shielding, which is very expensive.

I have yet to see one of those network wall worts work reliably and well. In my experience, you have to have very very clean power coming in from the electric company before those become feasable.

Last I heard, ethernet over powerlines does funky stuff to ham radio operators, making it a non-optimal method of delivering data to the end user. And if you'll notice, the netgear one has terrible ratings.

So my original statement stands.

I have yet to see one of those network wall worts work reliably and well. In my experience, you have to have very very clean power coming in from the electric company before those become feasable.

Last I heard, ethernet over powerlines does funky stuff to ham radio operators, making it a non-optimal method of delivering data to the end user. And if you'll notice, the netgear one has terrible ratings.

So my original statement stands.
I never claimed these devices are the end all be all. I simply pointed out that the technology exists, it can be improved upon, and in the future will be feasible.

As it stands now, it's capable of dsl line speeds, whether or not the netgear one works is irrelevant, there are many more devices out there. Linksys makes some if you aren't a fan of netgear.

I see this as how things will be done in the future. No wires other than the power cord, and you won't even need an adapter as it will be integrated into the device. I can't wait to have all my AV equipment have only power cords and not worry about any type of video cables or anything, and have every device connected to every source, yada yada yada. Some day.....

*edit* And who cares about HAM radio operators?

the devices you linked are junk.....

Fine. go to homeplug.org and look at all of the devices and manufacturers. Find one that you think isn't junk and test it out for yourself. I simply posted links very quickly to show that the technology for sending data over power lines already exists, and is simply in its infancy.

I'm sorry I didn't do extensive review checks before quickly posting links to products that don't live up to your standards.

I never claimed these devices are the end all be all. I simply pointed out that the technology exists, it can be improved upon, and in the future will be feasible.

As it stands now, it's capable of dsl line speeds, whether or not the netgear one works is irrelevant, there are many more devices out there. Linksys makes some if you aren't a fan of netgear.
It's not that I don't like the netgear one, it's that I have yet to see any of these actually work well enough for everyday use.

Big difference.
I see this as how things will be done in the future. No wires other than the power cord, and you won't even need an adapter as it will be integrated into the device. I can't wait to have all my AV equipment have only power cords and not worry about any type of video cables or anything, and have every device connected to every source, yada yada yada. Some day.....
Possibly. I doubt it, but I don't deny the possibility of it.
*edit* And who cares about HAM radio operators?
A decentralized method of communication? Ham operators have been instrumental during emergencies in getting communications in and out of an area.

I know people with 20mbit DSL connections. (j/k)

Joking huh? Too bad for us, because if the telecommunications companies did what they were supposed to do in the mid nineties we'd have fiber optic lines to most homes and businesses in the country by now. (Note: Agreed to build fiber network for tax breaks and deregulation). I hear the Japanese can get a 100 Mb up/down connection to their homes for $40 a month. Saw a show on Nova about this and it pissed me off.

Joking huh? Too bad for us, because if the telecommunications companies did what they were supposed to do in the mid nineties we'd have fiber optic lines to most homes and businesses in the country by now. (Note: Agreed to build fiber network for tax breaks and deregulation). I hear the Japanese can get a 100 Mb up/down connection to their homes for $40 a month. Saw a show on Nova about this and it pissed me off.

I'd like to see the graphs..... that is 12.5 MB/sec.... most 100Mb networks will give about 8....

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns465/c647/cdccont_0900aecd80524c34.pdf

10Mbs for less than dialup, 100Mbs for $27.00/mo, 1000Mbs for $172/mo. Looks like china is about 10 years ahead of north america as far as internet is concerned, and possibly 30 years ahead of australia for that matter.

Back