Heyas all.. new to folding..

one30eight

[H]ard|Gawd
Heyas! New to folding, but trying to get set up.

I just got my new rig together with a 1055t and wanted to put it to use folding. I downloaded the 64 bit smp client, set it up per H instructions. I then downloaded HFM.net and also set it up following the guide. Here is where I am at now.

HFM picks up my f@H client and everything looks like it is working. All 6 cores are at 100 percent and folding away. The problem is, HFM reports my PPD at around 4000-5000. After looking at what others are getting with the 1055t, I am way low. It has been running now for a couple of days and my score has gone from 43,743 to 44,261. I have the 1055t running at 4Ghz, so I should be posting some good numbers.

I am not at home right now, but I am thinking when I get home I will just uninstal everything and try to run through setup again. Hopefully I will be up and running soon and putting some numbers up for the [H]orde.

Edit: Finally got everything rock solid and am happy with the results.

Edit agian: Well my PPD dropped back down to 5000. Not sure what is going on. I have made exceptions in Windows firewall and MSE. I was almost at 75,000 and would have been there for the contest if it had not dropped off yesterday..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
your PPD will look low for the next 10 A3 WU's you do.. after that it should go up to around 13-14k PPD range, maybe more.. just make sure in HFM that it shows you using the GRO-A3 core and you should be good to go..

also welcome to the team.. if you have any more questions feel free to ask and we shall try our best to answer them all..

As long as you have a passkey, you are fine. You just need to run 10 units under that passkey, then you will start seeing the bonus and the bigger ppd. Your machine will fly through those 10 pretty quickly.

Welcome to the [H]orde!

looks right to me.. just in case did you put that long ass passkey thing in when you setup the smp client that you got from F@H? cant remember if it was in zero's guide..

edit.. nvm it was in his guide..

Make sure you get a passkey (info about it at stanfords folding site) and you will have to turn in 10 A3 WU's before the "Preferred Deadline" and then you will eligible for SMP A3 bonuses. You are alread smoking me in PPD for SMP and I'm getting bonuses for mine!

Welcome to our team. It is always great to see another AMD enthusiast who has decided to get into folding. The release of the new Thubans have made AMD processors competitive once again with what Intel offers.

Those TPF's look a little slow for a 4ghz Thuban, but i'm wondering whether that 6014 A3 work unit is one of the bigger ones. Either way, all you need to do is wait till you have folded 10 A3 WU's under your new passkey and you'll be racking up some good points. Let us know what kind of ppd averages you are getting once you get those 10 WU's out of the way as i'm curious to see what you will do at 4 ghz.

Yes I have the passkey entered. PPD is at 6100 now, so maybe it will get on up there.

Your TPF, (time per frame) looks fairly high. My Phenom II 955 BE is doing this project with a TPF under 6:00. Try checking CPU-Z to ensure your processor is not going to a slower speed than 4.0Ghz, or throttling. You shouldn't be at more than 55 celsius on any cores if memory serves.

6014 is not one of those big projects. I believe that is the P604x projects that take 10 minutes per frame on an i7 920 @ 4.0 Ghz (for me).

Welcome to our team. It is always great to see another AMD enthusiast who has decided to get into folding. The release of the new Thubans have made AMD processors competitive once again with what Intel offers.

Those TPF's look a little slow for a 4ghz Thuban, but i'm wondering whether that 6014 A3 work unit is one of the bigger ones. Either way, all you need to do is wait till you have folded 10 A3 WU's under your new passkey and you'll be racking up some good points. Let us know what kind of ppd averages you are getting once you get those 10 WU's out of the way as i'm curious to see what you will do at 4 ghz.

yeah i didnt notice his TPF last night.. here is a comparison with a phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz..
Code:
 Project ID: 6014
 Core: GRO-A3
 Credit: 484
 Frames: 100

Name: SMP
 Path: C:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\
 Number of Frames Observed: 100

Min. Time / Frame : 00:05:33 - 7,180.2 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:06:44 - 5,373.2 PPD

Your TPF, (time per frame) looks fairly high. My Phenom II 955 BE is doing this project with a TPF under 6:00. Try checking CPU-Z to ensure your processor is not going to a slower speed than 4.0Ghz, or throttling. You shouldn't be at more than 55 celsius on any cores if memory serves.

6014 is not one of those big projects. I believe that is the P604x projects that take 10 minutes per frame on an i7 920 @ 4.0 Ghz (for me).

maximum is 62C for the phenom II's before it starts throttling..

Welcome to the [H]orde!!

I am not very knowledgeable on AMD products, but it looks like your questions are getting answered :D

Well I added another hard drive and reinstalled windows. Reinstalled the SMP client and am now getting around 14500 PPD..

Well I added another hard drive and reinstalled windows. Reinstalled the SMP client and am now getting around 14500 PPD..

nice.. btw your on my hated list now :p arg i want a 1090T so badly.. god i hate not having money to spend..

Nice - now i know i need to wind up my 1090T as it is currently at stock and gets 10k PPD:eek:

That is sweet! I can't believe how awesome those new Thubans are as they have put AMD back in the game for folding. A 4.0ghz overclock on a 2.8ghz 1055T is just unbelievable.

You are putting out more than what I would be if I was still running the standard A3 work units with my folding rig at the current clock.

Nice - now i know i need to wind up my 1090T as it is currently at stock and gets 10k PPD:eek:

Even on stock cooling you should be able to up the multi to a decent OC.

I am really happy with this 1055t. The last AMD chip that I owned was a s939 opty. Feels good to be back on the AMD side. After running all day the PPD fell down to around 12,000 and went as high as 15,200. The average was around 14,000. Not too shabby..

Well I finally got a rock solid OC that will fold 24/7. Updated the OP with a screenie.

Sounds like you are not running at a full 4.0 ghz. My 1055t gets around 5k at 3.2 ghz.

Well it dropped back to 5000 =(

What work unit are you working on and what TPF's are you getting? Is your cpu throttling by any chance due to high temps? Is there anything that might be running in the background like a pesky antivirus program that starts to scan at the worst possible time?

Sounds like you are not running at a full 4.0 ghz. My 1055t gets around 5k at 3.2 ghz.

Shouldn't a Thuban be getting around 10-11k at 3.2ghz? Getting only 5k ppd seems to be a bit low for you considering that my P2 965 was getting around 7-8k ppd at 3.5ghz. You have 2 more cores!

What work unit are you working on and what TPF's are you getting? Is your cpu throttling by any chance due to high temps? Is there anything that might be running in the background like a pesky antivirus program that starts to scan at the worst possible time?

Shouldn't a Thuban be getting around 10-11k at 3.2ghz? Getting only 5k ppd seems to be a bit low for you considering that my P2 965 was getting around 7-8k ppd at 3.5ghz. You have 2 more cores!
My 1090T is currently showing 11.6k PPD at 3.4Ghz - however i'm using an asus board with a crap bios that doesn't work properly,

My 1090T is currently showing 11.6k PPD at 3.4Ghz - however i'm using an asus board with a crap bios that doesn't work properly,

That's pretty impressive considering my 1055T @ 4.3Ghz is getting anywhere from 12K-14K PPD, depending on the WU. What speed is your ram running at? Mine is set at DDR 1392 7-7-7-24.

Figured it out. My 1st core had dropped to 1170 MHz for some reason. Had 1 core at 1170 and 5 cores at 3.8. All back up to 4 GHz and folding away at around 16,000 PPD

That's pretty impressive considering my 1055T @ 4.3Ghz is getting anywhere from 12K-14K PPD, depending on the WU. What speed is your ram running at? Mine is set at DDR 1392 7-7-7-24.

Bog standard corsair XMS DDR2 @ 800 5-5-5-18 although it should be 4-4-4-12,
This is dedicated box though with a minimum with XP install and no extra's.

Back