hey guys im new here,and i need your opinions about a used pc builld that im about to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirkow

n00b
Hello everyone, 5 days ago i decided to sell my console and join the pc community and i didn't know anything about cpu,gpu,ghz,gb or anything about pc gaming at all, 5 days after and i still feel as if i am just scratching the surface though i feel a little more comfortable around those words.
The reason i am asking for help today is because i have found a used build that seems to be interesting enough and since building a new pc seems a lot more difficult and expansive here (in morroco) than in the states or europe i kind of chose that road.
so here is the build:

-case: Corsair 350D windowed
-cpu: i5-4690k @ 4.5 Ghz + Watercooling H80i
-gpu: EVGA GTX 780 Ti Sc w/ Acx
-mobo: MSI Z97M Gaming
-ram: 2 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133 Mhz
-ssd: Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB
-shdd: Seagate SSHD 2 TB
-psu: Cooler Master v1000 80+ Gold
-fans: 4 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition
-fan controller: NZXT Sentry 2
-monitor: Asus VE247H 24"

overall price: 10 000 morrocan dhs wich translates to 1033.96 dollars

so apparently this build has been used for a little less than a year, he claims it was very well maintained like (getting anti dust filters on the inputs and outputs of the airflow / good cable management and regular cleaning of the pc).

so basically i have 4 questions :

-is it a good deal? NB: knowing that the prices in morocco are overall higher than amazon and other places ex: a new i5-4690k= 350 dollars here (because of custom fees etc...).

-how can i know the components are healthy and in good shape ?

-do you have any advice for buying a used pc?

-is there anything i should know about this build?

Prices new in US $

Based on Newegg

-case: Corsair 350D windowed $109.99
-cpu: i5-4690k @ 4.5 Ghz + Watercooling H80i $239.99
-gpu: EVGA GTX 780 Ti Sc w/ Acx Legacy
-mobo: MSI Z97M Gaming $160.00
-ram: 2 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133 Mhz $56.99
-ssd: Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB $242.00
-shdd: Seagate SSHD 2 TB $ 93.00
-psu: Cooler Master v1000 80+ Gold $15.00 rebate $179.99
-fans: 4 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition 4 X $15.00 $ 60.00
-fan controller: NZXT Sentry 2 $ 30.00
-monitor: Asus VE247H 24" $ 169.99 $20.00 rebate total $149.99

Total Price $1321.95

Most of the main parts are between 1 to three years old. No history on use and overclocking ability.

Consider if software is installed and the price to build it new.

The EVGA GPU is Legacy so it will not run most AAA game on ultra settings even in 1080P not to mention hairworks, HBOA and such. The GPU is only worth $75.00 if that. It is the weak link of this rig especially if you plan to run online FPS games. Even then it is way past its end of life cycle.

Personally I would never buy SSD or HDD that someone else used nor would I sell them with personal info. Software license, Viruses and malware issues.

Apples to apples you are only saving $300.00 to $500.00 over a new rig that can be built at your taste and with brand new hardware.

Are you willing and ready to build your own rig. If not then you find yourself at the mercy of other used rigs or find someone local to build one for you.

Most hardware has a end of life of 3 to 5 years. Depending on many factors quality, use and the list goes on and on. Figure a life span of 4 years for most hardware.

Consider what you are using the PC for. If it is gaming then this platform is a so/so start.

Things I would change are:

Gpu to get great 1080P a 980 or 980 TI will be you ticket to gaming bliss or go with a 390
HDD a better quality
SSD if it is three years old it is at its end of life
Motherboard Is good but not great when it comes to Ocing.

The CPU and RAM on this platform can be overclocked the H80 cooler is at the bottom level of keeping a CPU cool at a 4.4 to 4.5 OC Consider a H100i or better. The case has flexible cooling options and the 240mm radiator will fit on the top.

To sum it up there are some strengths to this platform and there are some draw backs. Everyone has their opinion on what is good and not good. Personally it is a bit on the expensive side for the hardware it has.

It is hard to place value on used equipment. My rule is to find out the cost of the hardware new then for hi dollar items like the MOBO and CPU then subtract $50.00 per year off the new retail cost. For items like the GPU $100.00 off the retail cost per year. Items like the case $10 to $25.00 off retail if it is a 10/10 no scratches like brand new condition.

Hope that helps.

what do you mean the gpu is worth 70 dollars ? why is it 350 dollars on amazone ?
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-03G-P4-2884-KR/dp/B00GMTGJIU
What borealnw meant is that the GTX 780 Ti isn't worth its $350 USD retail price when newer, better cards are available today around the same price point.

I have some additional questions for you:

1) Did the seller offer a copy of Windows alongside this build? Or was it already installed on one of the drives?

2) Did the seller mention how long the processor has been overclocked?

3) Did the seller give you a chance to look at the computer or see it (briefly) in action?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Price checks not allowed here as per Rules 16 and 26 of the [H] Forum Rules.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back