Hey AMD, you have my $1100, Can i have some official drivers?

I swear I have the worst luck with drivers. It seems that it doesn't matter what type or make - always an issue.

:rolleyes: Read my post again before making stupid comments.

I said that a defective card + official drivers still not released is not acceptable to me. Since I need to return the card anyway because it's defective and the official drivers are still not ready I decided to get a refund and wait.

Let me know if you still need me to explain why I'm returning the card :rolleyes:

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. AMD doesn't need customers like you.

Simple. AMD has a history of slow/bad drivers, Nvidia has their own problems, so I decide on what's best at the time. Hardware does not matter without drivers, so as far as I am concerned, the 7970 does not exist yet.

There is a reason they call it the bleeding edge, you bleed. I don't play that way. I wait for real official supported hardware and that means drivers must be available and solid.

Simple. AMD has a history of slow/bad drivers, Nvidia has their own problems, so I decide on what's best at the time. Hardware does not matter without drivers, so as far as I am concerned, the 7970 does not exist yet.

There is a reason they call it the bleeding edge, you bleed. I don't play that way. I wait for real official supported hardware and that means drivers must be available and solid.

AMD's drivers are perfectly fine for single card configs from my experience so far, but I understand that their crossfire related drivers are not as polished. I don't game in crossfire so that's not an issue for me, but it's something to keep in mind.

whattt? do speak!

sorry bro i can't. it's a confidential thing.

6wt.png

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. AMD doesn't need customers like you.

Lol. Too late! I already have amd cards. That is funny. Someone that says who is worthy of an AMD card....never thought I'd see that.

I have been using my 7970 for a couple weeks with just one issue so far. I had to turn off post processing in Kingdom of Amular: Reckoning to see something other than a blank screen when playing (I do not know if that is AMD specific or not). I did play through all three Aliens vs Predator campaigns with no issues though. I plan to play some Dota 2 and Blacklight: Retribution today to see how that goes.

Honestly.. I HOPE and PRAY team green pulls something out of their collective a$$es with Kepler. this is turn would push the 79x0 cards down to more reasonable prices, and no more competing with 580's and such.

I'm happy with my 6870CFX setup but I'm not much of a gamer anymore, and these are just hashing away for me.

Still, if anyone in this thread wants to get rid of their AMD cards, lemme know. :D

Lets face it, AMD and nVidia both fuck up all the time. As for AMD, yeah, they really need to get moving on some official drivers.

New AMD Catalyst CAP can be found here: http:///9FDuCb

12.1 CAP 2 2/9/2012
Description:
This release of AMD Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest AMD CrossFireX™ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

New profiles added to this release:
- Star Wars: The old republic : Improves CrossFire performance and resolves flickering seen on Map
- Unigine Tropics – Resolves flashing shadow reflections with CrossFire enabled
- Wargame: European Escalation: Improves CrossFire performance

Well my 7970 using the recommended RC drivers is stable in windows but artifacts like hell with benchmark tools. Everything stock. May be a fluke and probably is but the fact that no official drivers have been released yet and that the card is defective at stock clocks is not something I find acceptable for the price I paid.

The card is going back for a refund. I'll put my green one in the meantime and see if AMD driver releases get better with time. Maybe I'll give them another try later on but right now I'm not impressed. So I vote with my wallet. And yes I have had both AMD and Nvidia in the past.

I am in the same exact boat. I am running 2 Msi 7970s and I get artifacts in windows, crysis 1 only on the cars, bad flickering in bad company 2 And skyrim when I'm in the items menu. The cards run fine with no artifacts individually. Just waiting on official drivers.. Boone else has reported these issues... you are the first I've seen so I feel a little more confident its just a driver issue.

Just chiming in, crossfire does not work in SWTOR at the moment, after the 1.1 patch adding antialiasing. Which also reminds me of how poor ati's AA implementations are... Which reminds me of the issues I had with BF3 at release... which also reminds me of still existing skyrim issues.

Not true...unless you are talking about 7900 series. I have two 6970s and can confirm that crossfire is indeed working on SWTOR.

I do not use crossfire myself, but ATI has always been a bit slow with driver releases and general bugginess. I have seen more games have issues with either not getting a driver update to support them in a reasonable timeframe, or new drivers that break last years' games.

Nvidia cards are power hogs, hot, expensive, and "as it's meant to be played" is just leveraging their market position to corner the market by using marketing rather than superior hardware. I think Nvidia is close to becoming like 3dfx and Rambus if they are not careful.

I like ATI and AMD better than Nvidia, but Nvidia always has good drivers. It is like cell phone carriers and politicians, you must choose the lesser of two evils rather than one that you can really feel comfortable with.

It is like cell phone carriers and politicians, you must choose the lesser of two evils rather than one that you can really feel comfortable with.

Unless of course you're a fanboy, in which case you're glad to see your company do evil because it means you're 'winning'.

He is probably one of those shills Nvidia hired to trash AMD.

All the posts on these forums, its complete nonsense. Nvidia drivers are NOT any better. In fact I have had very few if any problems with AMD drivers over the years.

All the posts on these forums, its complete nonsense. Nvidia drivers are NOT any better. In fact I have had very few if any problems with AMD drivers over the years.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but has Kyle written an editorial bashing Nvidia for their drivers lately?

I am pretty sure every review of a new videocard generally includes some bashing of dual card support.

I am talking only new products. I don't really understand why the site is busting AMD's balls lately to be honest. Maybe it's based on expectations associated with the gaming experience collaboration.

I think this whole trend of the site bashing AMD about drivers is a new thing, and kind of unfair.

I am pretty sure every review of a new videocard generally includes some bashing of dual card support.

I am talking only new products. I don't really understand why the site is busting AMD's balls lately to be honest. Maybe it's based on expectations associated with the gaming experience collaboration.

I think this whole trend of the site bashing AMD about drivers is a new thing, and kind of unfair.

AMD driver support isn't that up to expectation lately. They have been slow in releasing updated support for new games, and now their own new card has yet to receive an official driver.

I don't see anything wrong calling them out on those weakness. If they want to be a serious player in the GPU market, their driver support needs to improve and this is a fact. They either need to hire better people, or more people to work on the drivers.

I wanted a 6990 and they were never available when I had the cash for it. I bought the 8120 processor from AMD and we went from October's launch until December until we could play SteamWorks games because of a bios issue. Now I really want a powerful single card as sometimes playing games that are unpopular; SLI and Crossfire doesn't work.

And AMD has dropped the ball on software for their hardware again. I can't justify sinking $600 into a card without working drivers. After staring at my Steam collection for 3 months wishing I could play Saint's Row, Skyrim, Portal 2, etc while AMD figured out the Bulldozer bios; I can't stomach waiting again. Sure my 8120 works fabulous for me now, but during those 3 months I was really pissed off.

GL to the early adopters. I'll hop aboard when I see a working product in the pipeline. Or Nvidia comes out with a rival card.

Last edited:
IMO

AMD has never been know for doing well with driver support.

Games I have played have often had more notes about 'known problems' with AMD card's/drivers more-so then Nvidia.

Both products have their points. AMD seems to get stuff out sooner and Nvidia seems to be more compatible.

I would really love some updated drivers. I tried for an hour last night to play BF3 with my 7970 Crossfire on Ultra and I got nothing but crashes and headaches. I eventually gave up and logged into Diablo 3 beta to smash some stuff with my barbarian. At least that game works well

Seriously...like I said, you'll just believe what you want...:p

Funny how most of the people "complaining" in this thread have nvidia cards in their sigs? Funny how that works isn't it ;) AMD single card drivers are fine, carry on gents.

edit: and before someone jumps on me, yes, AMD does take longer to release CAPs. Driver stability has never been an issue (for me) and single card drivers are fine (IMHO!). So i'm not saying AMD is perfect, yes, they definitely need improvement.

Last edited:
Seems like it's mostly crossfire users who are having problems. I feel for you guys. I actually upgraded and spent the money on just one 7970 because my Xfire 4870s were out of date, sucked too much power, and I was just plain sick of crossfire not working how I wanted it to. It didn't work well for crysis 2 when it came out, it didn't work for skyrim officially for a couple of weeks, and it doesn't work for windowed mode gaming. That encompasses about 75% of my total gaming right there. When it works, it's great, but ya, they're pretty slow releasing officials.

That being said, I've had no real issues with the betas that are out. I had some stuttering issues with BF3 that were corrected with a FPS cap and I still haven't gotten my skyrim working right (some sore of renderer resolution error), but those problems are atleast fixable/problems with my system and not the fault of the drivers.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but has Kyle written an editorial bashing Nvidia for their drivers lately?

He hasn't written an editorial (good or bad) for a new Nvidia card drivers because said card has not been released ;). If Nvidia did have the issues AMD has, Kyle would undoubtedly write a similar article.

AMD driver support isn't that up to expectation lately. They have been slow in releasing updated support for new games, and now their own new card has yet to receive an official driver.

I don't see anything wrong calling them out on those weakness. If they want to be a serious player in the GPU market, their driver support needs to improve and this is a fact. They either need to hire better people, or more people to work on the drivers.

why does anyone care about "official" drivers so much? What difference does that make? and the people having issues are the ones who bought 2 of them. How many people buy 2 550 dollar cards? I can't afford one.

I have however been running 6850s in crossfire since they were released and other than a game here and there it's been a joy. 90 percent of the people bitching about amd drivers do so because they are different than what they are used to(Nvidia) and because they don't know how to change a setting because it's not exactly like Nvidia, therefore AMD drivers suck.

It's childish bs, don't be an early adopter of new hardware and you won't have issues, if you insist on being a first day buyer, stfu, it's never been perfect.

I see a lot of bitching and complaining and I agree that there should be an official driver by now. What I don't know is how much of the holdup is due to AMD and how much is due to Microsoft's portion of the WHQL certification process. I fully support Kyle going after AMD if they are slacking...we only stand to gain by someone of his stature within the community whipping the horse to see if there is indeed slacking going on and try to get movement on the software front. That being said I don't feel terribly let down either. The cards do what I want them to do at this point. Those of you who bought the cards for the newly touted features may feel differently. I would like to see the new features actually working as promised such as 5x1 landscape and portrait Eyefinity, software that actually fully uses the new Video Codec Engine, and custom resolution support. AMD would have been much better off just not saying anything about these features until they could actually deliver them in a working state. For my configuration though I can't really complain too much.

I've made it a point to try out all of the following games on my 7970's in landscape Eyefinity on 1920x1200 monitors. These are just the games installed on my system. I have many many more games but just wanted to go looking for bugs after finding the BF3 one to see if the issue or others could be found in other games. I did not test extensively mostly I just played through one level or mission twice on each of the games. All were launched from an Eyefinity desktop and played once in Eyefinity mode and once at a single monitor resolution. There probably are bugs that I didn't catch that someone else playing a game more exclusively might.

Alien vs Predator
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Battlefield 3
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bulletstorm
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Crysis
Crysis 2
Crysis Warhead
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dirt 2
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
GTA: SA
Half-Life
Hal-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Hard Reset
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Metro 2033
Portal
Portal 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky
Serious Same 3: BFE

I found one issue out of all of those games. That issue was that 7970 CF would break(only 1 card would be used) in BF3 when the game was launched from an Eyefinity desktop and then played at a single monitor resolution. When BF3 was launched from an extended or mirrored desktop this issue did not occur. AMD has been notified, given evidence, and provided all the information for reproducing the bug. That's it that's the ONLY issue I've encountered period with the 7970 driver and games. I have had 0 crashes on the system after the cooling was set up to properly to deal with the higher amount of heat being produced by the 7970s versus the 5870s that resided in this system previously. I have had the temporary screen flicker as well as temporary cursor corruption. Both were remedied by moving the cursor to one of the other monitors and then back. I have encountered the issue where the center Displayport monitor doesn't properly turn back on after the monitors have been asleep this was remedied by simply turning the monitor off and then back on.

None of the issues in the paragraph directly above seem to be the deal breakers that some are making them out to be. They are a minor annoyances at most. They should not occur but they don't so break the 7970 experience that I'm going to throw a tantrum or whine constantly about it. I just report my issues and move on. I see a lot of people in this thread throwing out vague descriptions of "problems" if they mention anything specific at all. There are those in this thread with real issues that I'm sure they'd like to see addressed and so would I(I'm looking at you quadfire/Eyefinity 2/VCE). However the vast majority of people who have posted in this thread are nothing more than whining trolls looking for an outlet for their emotional angst which has only the slightest of connections to 7970 driver problems if any at all.

Playing on the bleeding edge of technology and PC gaming in general comes at a cost. You have much more freedom, but you are much more likely to encounter issues, and spend time configuring things than you would on a console. Participating in this hobby without that at the forefront of your mind is just foolish. If you can't handle the various issues which WILL occur no matter what company you place your bets with then I suggest you just go back to console gaming. There are some great experiences to be had there that just won't be found on the PC for various reasons. The best you can hope to do as a PC hardware enthusiast is document and report the issues so that others might have an easier time of it. END RANT

Last edited:
why does anyone care about "official" drivers so much? What difference does that make? and the people having issues are the ones who bought 2 of them. How many people buy 2 550 dollar cards? I can't afford one.

1. Not our fault because you can't afford stuff. Work harder. The difference is having the right drivers to access the right features on your video card.

It's childish bs, don't be an early adopter of new hardware and you won't have issues, if you insist on being a first day buyer, stfu, it's never been perfect.

2. If AMD put out release slides to show the feature set such as eyefinity 2.0, then by me buying the hardware, I demand the right drivers to use product correctly as it was defined.

You cannot let a company get away with slacking.

1. Not our fault because you can't afford stuff. Work harder. The difference is having the right drivers to access the right features on your video card.

2. If AMD put out release slides to show the feature set such as eyefinity 2.0, then by me buying the hardware, I demand the right drivers to use product correctly as it was defined.

AMD should have released the 7970s with a Beta Signup form !! :p Please pay us alot to participate in our betaaaa

yay....... ~.~

I see a lot of bitching and complaining and I agree that there should be an official driver by now. What I don't know is how much of the holdup is due to AMD and how much is due to Microsoft's portion of the WHQL certification process. I fully support Kyle going after AMD if they are slacking...we only stand to gain by someone of his stature within the community whipping the horse to see if there is indeed slacking going on and try to get movement on the software front. That being said I don't feel terribly let down either. The cards do what I want them to do at this point. Those of you who bought the cards for the newly touted features may feel differently. I would like to see the new features actually working as promised such as 5x1 landscape and portrait Eyefinity, software that actually fully uses the new Video Codec Engine, and custom resolution support. AMD would have been much better off just not saying anything about these features until they could actually deliver them in a working state. For my configuration though I can't really complain too much.

I've made it a point to try out all of the following games on my 7970's in landscape Eyefinity on 1920x1200 monitors. These are just the games installed on my system. I have many many more games but just wanted to go looking for bugs after finding the BF3 one to see if the issue or others could be found in other games. I did not test extensively mostly I just played through one level or mission twice on each of the games. All were launched from an Eyefinity desktop and played once in Eyefinity mode and once at a single monitor resolution. There probably are bugs that I didn't catch that someone else playing a game more exclusively might.

Alien vs Predator
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Battlefield 3
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bulletstorm
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Crysis
Crysis 2
Crysis Warhead
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dirt 2
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
GTA: SA
Half-Life
Hal-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Hard Reset
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Metro 2033
Portal
Portal 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky
Serious Same 3: BFE

I found one issue out of all of those games. That issue was that 7970 CF would break(only 1 card would be used) in BF3 when the game was launched from an Eyefinity desktop and then played at a single monitor resolution. When BF3 was launched from an extended or mirrored desktop this issue did not occur. AMD has been notified, given evidence, and provided all the information for reproducing the bug. That's it that's the ONLY issue I've encountered period with the 7970 driver and games. I have had 0 crashes on the system after the cooling was set up to properly to deal with the higher amount of heat being produced by the 7970s versus the 5870s that resided in this system previously. I have had the temporary screen flicker as well as temporary cursor corruption. Both were remedied by moving the cursor to one of the other monitors and then back. I have encountered the issue where the center Displayport monitor doesn't properly turn back on after the monitors have been asleep this was remedied by simply turning the monitor off and then back on.

None of the issues in the paragraph directly above seem to be the deal breakers that some are making them out to be. They are a minor annoyances at most. They should not occur but they don't so break the 7970 experience that I'm going to throw a tantrum or whine constantly about it. I just report my issues and move on. I see a lot of people in this thread throwing out vague descriptions of "problems" if they mention anything specific at all. There are those in this thread with real issues that I'm sure they'd like to see addressed and so would I(I'm looking at you quadfire/Eyefinity 2/VCE). However the vast majority of people who have posted in this thread are nothing more than whining trolls looking for an outlet for their emotional angst which has only the slightest of connections to 7970 driver problems if any at all.

Playing on the bleeding edge of technology and PC gaming in general comes at a cost. You have much more freedom, but you are much more likely to encounter issues, and spend time configuring things than you would on a console. Participating in this hobby without that at the forefront of your mind is just foolish. If you can't handle the various issues which WILL occur no matter what company you place your bets with then I suggest you just go back to console gaming. There are some great experiences to be had there that just won't be found on the PC for various reasons. The best you can hope to do as a PC hardware enthusiast is document and report the issues so that others might have an easier time of it. END RANT

I launch BF3 everytime from a eyefinity (61xx x 1080) desktop and the game is fine.. each card hits 99% durring play Quad-Fire 7970s.. If i was to play with V-Snc Enabled it will of course limit that down.

Using 11.12 with CAP 3.

I launch BF3 everytime from a eyefinity (61xx x 1080) desktop and the game is fine.. each card hits 99% durring play Quad-Fire 7970s.. If i was to play with V-Snc Enabled it will of course limit that down.

Using 11.12 with CAP 3.

Same configuration on the drivers and caps. The issue only occurs when playing on single panel resolutions in game after launching from Eyefinity desktop. Are you playing at a single monitor resolution in game and getting full use of your cards after launching from an Eyefinity desktop? It could be possible that this is limited to either my setup or just 2 x 7970's
I've posted my tests, and reproductions of the issue over here
Oh by the way super nice rig Eclypse...lol $2200 worth of GPU's water cooled no less:)

Last edited:
Funny how most of the people "complaining" in this thread have nvidia cards in their sigs? Funny how that works isn't it ;) AMD single card drivers are fine, carry on gents.

Funny you pick one of the people that weren't complaining about it :p

Anyway, I can't use AMD cards, need teh CUDA. But first discrete graphics I ever had was ATI. I just get what suits my needs the best, fan people are weird. :D

work harder? come on, that was an uncalled for comment.

demand away buddy, doesn't make you entitled to anything less than par for the course with new hardware.

Buy a microwave if you want it to work exactly right out of the box, buy a vidcard if you don't have unrealistic expectations.

how dumb do you have to be in order to assume amd doesn't have their best and brightest working on the issues?

Back