Hero's of Newerth

Xenomaniac

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend introduced it to me and I decided to go ahead and give it a shot. Wow, it is so much fun! Is anyone else playing this on here?

EDIT:Below is a list of [H] players. [H] forum name first, then HoN name:

Xenomaniac - Xenomaniac
Baker - Bloodharvest
infect0 - infecto
FatFed - FatFed
newster - newster
tpfaff - tpfaff
Puffyjay - Puffyjay
Blubikins - rages
Hammyton - hammyton
Baddreams - BadDreams
Darklcd - darklcd
tickle_me_emo - rickster

Last edited:
do the BR's have their own servers yet? Don't mean to sound racist, but that's the main reason I stopped playing HoN.

I wish there was a way to get HoN for less than $30. Had fun in the beta but can't really justify forking over the money for what amounts to a single map (yeah there's more but no one plays them). There's no boxed version that I can find and all the resellers have the same price. Too used to steam specials where I can get AAA titles for 10 dollars if I wait long enough :\

Tried playing LoL as a replacement but the style just isn't there to me, I just end up wanting to playing HoN more.

Play for couple month, not my cup of tea...

Went straight back to DotA.. much more better IMO...

LoL > HoN

DoTA, HoN, LoL are all the same with minor differences. Instead of hijacking the thread just run along child.

OP: I play HoN, PM me if you want to friend in game. The brazillian/russian problem is a lot less severe than it used to be imo. You still might run across them but if you play US servers you should be fine. I think I might see one every ~15 games. Btw, you are not racist, russians/brazillians are the biggest losers in the world. The people from these countries that play this game are the kind of guys you imagine playing in internet cafes and stabbing other people.

do the BR's have their own servers yet? Don't mean to sound racist, but that's the main reason I stopped playing HoN.

What is BR? only thing I came up with are blood ravens, the genetically altered super human marines. I suppose they would be tough to deal with and play against.

What is BR? only thing I came up with are blood ravens, the genetically altered super human marines. I suppose they would be tough to deal with and play against.

Brazilians. Not all BRs are bad - I've known a few that were friendly and good players, but the vast majority of the time they refuse to even ATTEMPT to communicate, they're selfish players (ie. they think they're playing a single player game - especially annoying in WoW dungeons) and are just all around not very fun to play with.

I haven't noticed any BR and I've been playing all day.

This game has a very very VERY Steep learning curve. I played all day and only won 2 games. I'm a n00b and 1 n00b on a team means you lose. The players aren't so nice either. Wow. I don't think I've heard that much battering in a game since CS 1.6. No room for friendly players at all. Just got to dive in and try (and I mean try) really hard to enjoy the ride.

DoTA, HoN, LoL are all the same with minor differences. Instead of hijacking the thread just run along child.

Except for the part about LoL being vastly easier to get into and having an insanely better interface.

LoL's matchmaking sucks though.

We had some good games, and a lot of bad ones :p

It's ok man, you'll get better with time. Since you're still figuring out build order and items, that's time you're spending at the store looking through stuff, while other people are out leveling. Once you know the items, the hardest part is just working with your team to get things done.

Except for the part about LoL being vastly easier to get into and having an insanely better interface.

I purchased access to HoN about a week ago while the servers for LoL were down.

NEED MY FIX MAINTAINED !!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, the interface does seem better in LoL. Have not played an actual game yet though other than the tutorial. I can't imagine it being that different from LoL though. why is the learning curve steeper?

LoL was a breeze for anyone whos played dota. You are bad at the start but that is because you are getting used to champions and finding the ones that fit your playstyle and where you can become the most deadly, is this somehow VASTLY more difficult in HoN?

If it is only the case of hostile players, that's ok. I'll be working on long strings of insults that will strip the flesh off anyone on the receiving end. If people get out of line on my path to more skill and power, they will pay. As it should me.

When I started anivia I was horrible with her. Now, god help the poor soul that gets near me.

I purchased access to HoN about a week ago while the servers for LoL were down.

NEED MY FIX MAINTAINED !!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, the interface does seem better in LoL. Have not played an actual game yet though other than the tutorial. I can't imagine it being that different from LoL though. why is the learning curve steeper?

LoL was a breeze for anyone whos played dota. You are bad at the start but that is because you are getting used to champions and finding the ones that fit your playstyle and where you can become the most deadly, is this somehow VASTLY more difficult in HoN?

If it is only the case of hostile players, that's ok. I'll be working on long strings of insults that will strip the flesh off anyone on the receiving end. If people get out of line on my path to more skill and power, they will pay. As it should me.

When I started anivia I was horrible with her. Now, god help the poor soul that gets near me.

There is a lot of minor but very important details that the tutorial doesn't share. Play a public game and you'll find out very fast what I mean. I just played a round and my team actually won and we didn't get to choose our hero's. It still takes me a while to level though. it's like Baker said, you need to know what items to grab. Reading all those descriptions takes time and there are a lot of them.

I haven't played LoL, but I hear there are no Creep Kills or Creep Denies? Or Tower Denies?

If this is true, this is also a huge step in making LoL more newb friendly. Xeno and I were mostly playing AP mode, no easy mode. That means the $gold comes from either hero kills, tower kills, hero assists or creep kills.

If Xeno isn't getting creep kills, he isn't getting gold, and if he's not aware that the other team is creep denying, then he isn't leveling as fast.

IMO the curve is steeper in HoN vs LoL due to the amount of extra game mechanics you have to keep track of. Laning in LoL feels like being on autopilot after having to be concerned with denying and harassment in HoN.

Then there's the runes that spawn in the river that you have to pay attention to every 2 minutes (I suppose the creep buffs in LoL are somewhat similar but it doesn't feel the same, especially since you can't store them in a bottle for later use)
In general the items in LoL feel extremely passive. I only know of a few that have on use effects, and even fewer are major game changers. In HoN your items completely change the way a character can be used such as (forgive the names, been a while since I've actually played):
  • Portal Key providing blink to any class on a relatively short cooldown (many builds are based on this)
  • The arcane tomes that can do a powerful nuke (use this with hellbringer's magic resist debuff to do terrible terrible damage)
  • Thorn Armor - can pop it right as an autoattack hero gets on you and laugh as they kill themselves
  • Shrunken Head - On demand magic nullify for a single spell
  • The various minion summon books, the minion mind control helmet
  • A toggleable rage trinket that significantly increases your attack and movement speed in exchange for a constant life drain effect on yourself
  • Even the basic boots that can be toggled between providing int / agility / strength
  • The on use charge boots
  • Mana battery that charges up as people use skills nearby
  • Cloak that turns the hero invisible and runs faster (personal favorite)
  • The fact that items can be broken apart after merging them (barring recipe items) allowing for clever early game builds.
Special shops in the middle of the map let you buy without having to go back to base. I think this throws off new players a bit because they don't know which items are in which shop, especially when they were trying to build an item only to not find it in their base.

Other things such as consumables being interrupted if you take damage (health / mana). In LoL you can mindlessly use a potion whenever you want without taking the situation into account. The penalty for death is also much higher (I believe you lose 50 gold per hero level), which makes it even worse for new players.

HoN has a steeper curve if you've never played DoTA. If you're familiar with DoTA, HoN feels right at home.

You're pretty much right on the money other than item names :)

"Thorn Armor" would be Diablo2 isk, Barbed Armor is true name :)

And your favorite armor (for cloak) is Assassin Shroud. :)

Yes, I was trying to explain the shop's to Xeno yesterday. I was trying to explain there are 3 shops. Shop, Secret Shop and Outposts. Secret Shops and Outposts only have certain items you can buy from. If you go to an Outpost and buy an item that isn't available there, you will find it in your stash. I hear this all the time from new people "I just bought something, but I never got it".

Been playing HoN for a while and if anyone wants to add me, my in game name is FatFed.

I do not know if LoL is mod friendly but thats one of the things that is a huge plus for me. I am not a fan of the in game interface so with some tweaks and mods I can customize it to be exactly what I want.

Yes, Xeno, the next time we have a LAN for HoN, you'll have to check out the mods Alex and Evan have. I've been playing by default, but there are mods out there that tell you when you last hit creep, there are mods that show all tree's as tree stumps, etc. I think one of the mods Alex and Evan use is one that also allows you to see your cast time on spells.

Yes, Xeno, the next time we have a LAN for HoN, you'll have to check out the mods Alex and Evan have. I've been playing by default, but there are mods out there that tell you when you last hit creep, there are mods that show all tree's as tree stumps, etc. I think one of the mods Alex and Evan use is one that also allows you to see your cast time on spells.

ah yes, I would love to look at some mods. The UI on this is really all over the place.

The one thing that bugs the hell out of me is when you are at the shop. In the upper left hand corner is the shop. In the bottom slightly to the right is how much money you have. Now last time I checked, most games when you are going to purchase something, the amount of gold you have is displayed next to or near the shop window. Basically somewhere where it sticks out like a sore thumb. Doesn't seem like the case in this one. Just something to nick pick about.

Last edited:
As for why it seems there are so many a-holes playing. This is the conclusion I've come to.

S2Games added in this thing called "No Leavers". If you "rage quit" or get disconnected and don't reconnect, you'll get a disconnect added to your stats. Get enough disconnects and you can't join "No Leaver" games or can't join match making.

Thus, if someone is on a team where they know they are going to lose, or in order to win your looking at an hour long game, people will begin the bitchfest. They don't want to leave because they don't want a disconnect, but they don't want to play anymore either.

I also can see how people get upset when someone is considered a "feeder". Usually feeders are new people, but sometimes you'll get someone who has played over 200 games and still hasn't figured it out yet. People like to win and it can be frustrating sometimes when you’re playing a really good game, getting all your creep kills and denys, staying alive, for 1 or 2 people on your team to die over and over, where there is really nothing you can do to bring in a win.

Being able to kick people during a game back in Beta was much different than it is now. Now it's almost impossible to get someone kicked, and even by that time, it's already way too late. But kicking people also doesn't allow them to ever learn.

I guess in the end, learn to mute people. I've muted my incoming mic for this very reason. Host your own games, if your noob, host noob games and kick those who aren't noob. When someone starts going off about noobs on my team, I remind them they joined a noob game, and usually they'll shut up.

ah yes, I would love to look at some mods. The UI on this is really all over the place.

The one thing that bugs the hell out of me is when you are at the shop. In the upper left hand corner is the shop. In the bottom slightly to the right is how much money you have. Now last time I checked, most games when you are going to purchase something, the amount of gold you have is displayed next to or near the shop window. Basically somewhere where it sticks out like a sore thumb. Doesn't seem like the case in this one. Just something to nick pick about.

You can move the store screen anywhere you want. It doesn't have to stay on the top left ;) But yea, it would be nice to see your gold somewhere in that screen. I guess personally I'm always checking my gold, so I know when to head back to a shop and if I need to kill any more creeps on the way back.

I'd be playing now if I wasn't at work. 12 hr shifts are tough. :p

One thing I do like that they have added since Beta is the Replay feature. One thing SC2 does well with their replay feature is the camera control. I would like to see this added to HoN's replay options, then noobs (like me) can learn from the pros.

Also Xeno, in the middle bar above the chat window, there is a ranked button. You should be able to view the top ranked players in HoN and be able to watch any of their replays to see what the big boys are up to;strat, builds, etc.

Not really. HoN is a bland remake of DoTA with better graphics. LoL Is a new game with new champs a different art style and a different play style. To say the differences are minor tells me you have not played much LoL.

OP: I play HoN, PM me if you want to friend in game. The brazillian/russian problem is a lot less severe than it used to be imo. You still might run across them but if you play US servers you should be fine. I think I might see one every ~15 games. Btw, you are not racist, russians/brazillians are the biggest losers in the world. The people from these countries that play this game are the kind of guys you imagine playing in internet cafes and stabbing other people.

I call BS on this I last played HoN a couple weeks ago and went 3 games in a row of non English speakers.

Its also nice how you call Russians and Brazilians the biggest losers in the world. Real classy...

Not really. HoN is a bland remake of DoTA with better graphics. LoL Is a new game with new champs a different art style and a different play style. To say the differences are minor tells me you have not played much LoL.

I wouldn't call HoN bland. Sure it has the same formula from DotA, but a lot is still different.

I call BS on this I last played HoN a couple weeks ago and went 3 games in a row of non English speakers.

Funny, every game I've played this weekend, I've had English speaking teammates. If you read lobby chat, you can usually get an idea of the players in the game.

Same formula, same champs, the only real difference is the look.

Although most of the Heros have been imported from DOTA, there are a few HoN only Heros. LoL basically uses the same formula, it isn't some drastically different game. There are also some Heros that one could say were taken from DOTA. EX: BloodHunter is in all 3?

Although most of the Heros have been imported from DOTA, there are a few HoN only Heros. LoL basically uses the same formula, it isn't some drastically different game. There are also some Heros that one could say were taken from DOTA. EX: BloodHunter is in all 3?

What a comparison. Out of 50+ heroes LoL has you can only call a couple copies from DoTA. Out of all the champs HoN all you can say is a couple are NOT copied from DoTA.

HoN is a copy/paste of DoTA with new graphics and a couple champs added on top. Is that more accurate for you?

The point of HoN was to copy dota and add some new stuff that was impossible with WC3. Not sure what the big debate is about. Fans of Dota feel at home and get features that were otherwise impossible.

HoN is good. I definitely got my $30 worth even before the beta ended. I'd rather buy HoN twice (which I have for a friend) than buy any Activision game once (except SC2).

Heroes of Newerth is a game that will make you into a man. A scrawny fourteen-year-old, after two hours with this game, will be grooming his muttonchops and ready to ship off on the next boat to fight the Kaiser. If you are already a man, it will make you into some sort of bizarre double-man. What’s that you say? You’re a woman? You don’t want to be a man? Too bad. Too bad. That’s the Heroes of Newerth way.

You’ve probably heard that Heroes of Newerth is hard. Pshh. Lots of games are hard. Some are even harder than this one. The difficulty is not the point. What sets Heroes of Newerth apart is the way that it doesn't just kill you, but also stomps on your genitals when you’re down. And it will make you realize that that’s what you needed all along.

It’s a lot like life. Sometimes in life you win, and sometimes the 1800 Fayde stabs your face off because the Flint Beastwood you didn’t even see shot you in the back with a spike at just the wrong time. And when that happens in life, do you respawn at the same spot and carry on like nothing happened? NO, asshole. You go back to the beginning of the level, leaving all your hard-earned gold out there on the pavement, and you fight your way back. And you learn a lesson from the whole thing, because you should have been warding your forest, now shouldn’t you? That’s life.

The trend in hard games these days is to unlock “Easy” mode for you once you’ve died enough times. Do you think Heroes of Newerth does that? Do you think Heroes of Newerth is so much as aware of the concept of “Easy” mode? NO IT IS NOT. If Heroes of Newerth even knew we were talking about “Easy” mode, it would come over here and kick the shit out of all of us. And we would deserve it.

I’ll tell you what happens in Heroes of Newerth when you die. You come back broke while the guy that just ganked you gains levels and gold. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.

Have I told you about the online elements? At any time when you’re in the game, another player from anywhere else in the world can invade your base and murder you to piss on your corpse, or just to keep you at your fountain. This happens when you’re in the middle of fighting armies of unthinkable monsters that are probably already three-quarters of the way towards killing you. And no, you cannot opt out of this feature! This is what you signed up for when you agreed to be a man.

When this happened to me -- when a guy strolled into my jungle like it was Taco Bell and exploded my torso, costing me my body and all my progress in the level -- was I mad? No, because I was too busy being in awe at how fucking hardcore the experience was.

Now, don’t let this dissuade you. Heroes of Newerth is a pitiless master, but let it never be said that it is not fair. The game rewards handsomely those who stand up to it, and the greater the challenge, the greater the glory.

What the hell are you waiting for?

I'm gonna keep fighting to get good at this game. Gonna take a while, school more important.

What a comparison. Out of 50+ heroes LoL has you can only call a couple copies from DoTA. Out of all the champs HoN all you can say is a couple are NOT copied from DoTA.

HoN is a copy/paste of DoTA with new graphics and a couple champs added on top. Is that more accurate for you?

Right but that is exactly what it is supposed to be.

If I didn't want to play dota, i'd play LoL. For now, I play HoN because it offers features that is impossible to have using the WC3 system, and could only be sort of half-assed mimic'd using mods. There is a reason that the vast majority of the community is asking for DotA hero ports instead of brand new S2 made heros.

Its also nice how you call Russians and Brazilians the biggest losers in the world. Real classy...

Ok, I admit the games have different play style and art direction but its the same concept at its core. The point is that the OP already has HoN so why make a childish comment that LoL is better. Who cares?

Since stats reset after beta I have logged ~400+ games and out of those maybe 2-3% were shitty games with non english speakers. There are a few things that prevent this though. First, I filter high ping games out and I leave games that have Brazilians or Russians. I do make an exception for SWE players because they speak english and dont whine.

Also, my comment has to be taken into context which is HoN, which is generally a complain/piss off match in chat. Its not a racist comment but a comment about the players from those countries. For the brazillians most if not all of these guys are playing in internet cafes and they are the guys that play non-stop and freak out if something goes wrong. If you wanted to pick out one word I remember from them its "PUTA". Russians, while they might not all play in cafes they generally have the same attitude problem. I know stereotypes are bad but of all the games I have played Brazilians and Russians stand out as the worse behaved players.

Thanks I like to think of myself as a classy kind of guy.

Also, my comment has to be taken into context which is HoN, which is generally a complain/piss off match in chat. Its not a racist comment but a comment about the players from those countries. For the brazillians most if not all of these guys are playing in internet cafes and they are the guys that play non-stop and freak out if something goes wrong. If you wanted to pick out one word I remember from them its "PUTA". Russians, while they might not all play in cafes they generally have the same attitude problem. I know stereotypes are bad but of all the games I have played Brazilians and Russians stand out as the worse behaved players.

Thanks I like to think of myself as a classy kind of guy.

I didnt take anything out of context. Read what you said. If your intention was not to be a racist prick you chose the worst possible wording.

Back