Hero Status to you if you can answer this...

lexcruiser

Weaksauce
For background, check this first:
Clicky

Since that thread, I've gotten a new motherboard, set everything up and still got the same result; 3 or 4 beeps on startup, no post, no display. Also, it started doing different sequences of beeps and also powered off on its own.

today, I took it to a shop where we switched out the vid card, RAM chips, PSU and even the CPU... STILL the same, no display no bootup.
So basically, we tried all new components on a brand new mobo and STILL no dice.
THEN we tried another mobo from the shop (and Intel board, mine's an ASUS), with all different combinations of components from the shop and my own (vid card, cpu etc etc) and amazingly, STILL nothing! Even w/ completely different equipment.
We were all completely and utterly stumped. This included 3 techs and myself (been building and doing technical for close to 10 yrs) so with our combined experience, we couldn't come up w/ a rhyme or reason to this problem.

I thought I was gonna be stuck in the house a55ed out w/ no computer to play HL2 on thru this huge blizzard we're having. =P
So just for the heck of it, we decided to connect an older PCI vid card (I have an x800 xt PCI-E card) into one of the slots and booted up.
And guess what.
It booted up.....

SO THEN, we put my PCI-E x800 back into the machine, et voila, machine was alive again. Swapped all my components back on and everything was working. So after going thru all new RAM chips, CPU, mobo and PSU, the culprit was ... ???
I still have no idea what caused it and why it started working again after booting up w/ just the PCI (NOT PCI-E) vid card...

So the question is..... WHY?? Why did my machine die and then work again after plugging in the PCI card?
The machine had originally died after running 3DMark05 and Memtest86.. Did that somehow affect the PCI-E slot on my mobo? But I even switched mobo's... did it affect my vid card somehow? Then did that status transfer to the INTEL mobo from the shop??? If this all sounds insanely confusing, .. you're right. It is.
Can anyone see any sort of logic behind this?

I also now have an extra Asus P5AD2 Deluxe mobo (if anyone's interested) thats in perfect working order. Maybe I'll build another system. =P

********************** UPDATE!********************************

Got a hold of a PCI-E x300 vid card today. System booted up fine w/ no problems. Altho the CPU temps were higher than normal (Im guessing due to removin/re-installing heatsink so many times), system booted w/ no problems and no error beeps or msgs.
Swapped the x800 back into the system again, no boot, same problems.
So OK. Pretty much isolated it to a vid card issue w/ my x800 right?

Well, we then tried to change PSU's. Mine's rated @ 460w. We put in a 500w PSU. Then guess what, machine booted up w./ the x800 w/ no problems. Was in windows for about 10 mins (w/ higher than normal CPU temps) then system shut down on its own. Tried powering back up again, no dice, machine shut down on its own. Possible overheat?

Reseated HSF and put back old PSU(460w) along w/ the x800 card to try and see if it'd work this time. No luck, machine wasn't shutting down, but it was back to original problem, no post, no display. Put the x300 back in, voila, machine booted back up again.
THEN, to see if it was a voltage w/ the card issue, put the x800 card back in but this time, didn't plug in the power supply for the vid card (x300 does not need extra power), just plugged into PCI-E slot w/ no power. Again, machine does not boot up.
THEN, put the 500watt PSU back on along w/ the x800 card again and voila, boots up. Tried to start up Far Cry to see how it'd handle some 'stress' and the machine shuts down.
So thats where I'm at now.

Does it sound like a PSU issue? A vid card issue? Or both? Is my machine shutting down due to overheating (a completely un-related issue?).. Should I need more than 500watts of power for what I'm running? I have 2 CDroms, 2 IDE HDD's, a floppy, the vid card, and 4 dimms..... My machine was running fine for 3 months w/ the 460w PSU... did it go bad? Its made by 'sun cheer.'
Or is my vid card somehow F'ed up and requesting too much power? Will it short my mobo if I give it more juice (like a 600w PSU)??

Sorry this was so long. I just wanted to present the issue as clear as possible.
Please help.....

=T

*********************Update!!! (hopefully final! 3/22/05)***********************

Hey, who all remembers this crazy thread and the problems I was having with my possessed PC? :p

Anyway, just thought I'd give a final update for everyone who was following this thread from ways back. I had originally thought the problem was fixed w/ a new PSU but alas, a week later, same problems came back as before. Finally narrowed the problem down to the vid card being bad (a powercolor x800 xt) and sent it in for an RMA. In the meantime, I used an x700 and machine worked like a champ for 1.5 months straight. Just couldn't play any graphic intensive games (ie. HL2, Doom3, Far Cry...) Now finally, after over 2 months, Powercolor sent me a replacement card. And since they didn't have any x800xt's in stock, they decided to finally send me an x850 xt. :D

So yea, I'm a happy camper now and everything seems to be working fine (its been over a week w/ the x850). Hopefully my posting this doesn't jinx it!!!!
Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this. I hope we all learned something in the process..... and that is TO JUST BUY A DELLLLL!!!!!!!! :cool:
jus kidding.
Cheers!

To me, it sounds like there's only 1 constant in your entire story: your case. How that affects things is a tough call.

If you pinned me down, I'd have to guess that you have one too many standoffs installed on the mobo tray. That standoff isn't below a screw mount, so you never notice it, but it's making contact with one of the soldered pins on the bottom of the mobo. When you ground something like that strange things can happen. Maybe installing the PCI card flexed the board away from the standoff enough so that it didn't make contact. If you want to test things (heh) press down on the middle of the board then try to boot. Or just count the number of screws you use when you remove the board, then count the # of standoffs. If my theory is correct there's no reason to think that it won't give you trouble again...

Hope I'm right so you can solve your mystery.

I vote for static charge. It's amazing what those little voltages will do!

Funny enough you claim to be some 10 years experienced technician and you've never tried building the PC outside of the case? Maybe you did, my bad, but this is very rare situation to go through if you actually built it outside of the case environment.

-J.

Sandman said:
To me, it sounds like there's only 1 constant in your entire story: your case. How that affects things is a tough call.

If you pinned me down, I'd have to guess that you have one too many standoffs installed on the mobo tray. That standoff isn't below a screw mount, so you never notice it, but it's making contact with one of the soldered pins on the bottom of the mobo. When you ground something like that strange things can happen. Maybe installing the PCI card flexed the board away from the standoff enough so that it didn't make contact. If you want to test things (heh) press down on the middle of the board then try to boot. Or just count the number of screws you use when you remove the board, then count the # of standoffs. If my theory is correct there's no reason to think that it won't give you trouble again...

Hope I'm right so you can solve your mystery.

Very good theory indeed! I can keep this in mind as well if something like this happens again.
BUT...
The 1 constant isn't my case. And its actually my fault for not having mentioned this...
When we tested everything out w/ the other two mobos, we actually had it out of the case, resting on cardboard.
Does that throw a small wrench in your theory? =P

GeForceX said:
Funny enough you claim to be some 10 years experienced technician and you've never tried building the PC outside of the case? Maybe you did, my bad, but this is very rare situation to go through if you actually built it outside of the case environment.

-J.

Sorry about that. Its my fault for not mentioning it. I guess I just assumed that everyone would've also assumed that I *did* build it outside the case. Check my reply right before this one.. :)

Hehe. It must be a huge coincidence somehow this couldn't work. Mind boggling then. :x

-J.

GeForceX said:
Hehe. It must be a huge coincidence somehow this couldn't work. Mind boggling then. :x

-J.

Someone from the AT forums suggested this, let me know what you think:
Back when I was more adventurous I used to reflash vidcard bios on a regular basis. Since there are versions for ea incarnation of cards (video out etc.) I often flashed the wrong code and then had to blind flash back to previous or dif version. This resulted in black screen no boot, even after reflashing. So in desperation I loaded a PCI vid card (same as you) to see if anything was working. I would leave in the agp card and set bios to boot from PCI (vga) first. And, like you, the PC would boot fine. Then (while holding my breath) I would take out the PCI card and reset to AGP boot first and the thing would work again. APPARENTLY, bad bios - wrong for card - or CORRUPTED BIOS for card involved seems to scramble the mobo bios chip. The PCI card is kind of a "reset" for the code and has saved my butt many times. I ALWAYS keep an elcheapo PCI card around for trouble shooting (SIS 305).

It had to be something common among all the configs. Maybe if you used your PCI-e card in all the boards first (before any other vid card), it's possible. That card may have had a glitch in the way it communicated along the PCI-e bus, and it somehow affected the boot process and prevented it from booting as long as any PCI-e card was in place. I do know that most (probably all) PCI-e video cards have bugs that aren't hit during normal usage. Remember, those cards were a tad rushed ;)

Not sure if anyone's still monitoring this thread, but the problem came back. =T

Originally, it happened after running 3DMark05 & Memtest86...
Now yesterday, on a whim cuz my CPU temps were running high, I re-applied AS5 to my HSF/CPU and upon bootup, same problem as before! No display and system beeps! I don't have the PCI vid card w/ me so I gotta get it back before I can see if it'll fix the issue again, but why would this happen upon re-applying thermal paste??? I understand w/ yours, the system didn't boot cuz you were flashing your vid card BIOS. Mine seems to happen at completely random times... this is frustrating as h3ll!!

Also, I didnt have my speakers on the last time, but this time, the board actually produced vocal post msgs. On bootup, I get a "System failed due to CPU overclocking." Thing is, my system isn't even OC'ed. I checked around and found that a lot of people were having this problem w/ Asus boards and all fixes seemed very random. Also, after the OC'ed error msg, I get a "VGA test failed" msg also. Another interesting thing to note, if I take out my vid card, the system doesn't give the OC error msg and just the VGA Test failed msg... Can my vid card be forcing my CPU/BIOS to overclock somehow??

Arghhhhhhhhh. :(

Thermal paste is conductive, it is possible that you put too much on, and it seeped into the [insert electronic component near CPU here] and is shorting some connections...

The VGA card error thing just sounds like it checks for the presence of a video card before it checks whether the CPU is working.

hulksterjoe said:
this may seem odd but what memory configuration are you running to get to 1.5gb

2x512 and 2x256...
I originally had only the 2x256 chips, but decided to get another 1GB. Could this be an issue? I tried booting the system w/ only the 2x256 and also just the 2x512 and still no luck...

Stoopid Guy said:
Thermal paste is conductive, it is possible that you put too much on, and it seeped into the [insert electronic component near CPU here] and is shorting some connections...

The VGA card error thing just sounds like it checks for the presence of a video card before it checks whether the CPU is working.

I guess thats possible, but I applied the paste according to the directions on the AS site (only a small bead in the middle of the CPU). I've done it many times before w/ no problems...

Also, the CPU error msg comes before the VGA test, wouldn't this mean the CPU test comes first? The VGA error msg usually comes about 15-30 seconds after the CPU msg....

This problem is driving me nuts. :confused:

I vote that sometimes weird stuff just happens. If theres one thing I've learned after 8 years in the field its that never bother trying to figure out why something happens with computers, and that the more you learn the less you really know :)

tdg said:
I vote that sometimes weird stuff just happens. If theres one thing I've learned after 8 years in the field its that never bother trying to figure out why something happens with computers, and that the more you learn the less you really know :)

Hehe.. Amen to that. I've been in this field for close to 10 yrs and look at me now. Stuck like a n00b. Its discouraging, actually.
Great.
Now I'm depressed. And my PC still doesn't work. :(

After some rethinking and a little more research, I really think that you have a clock timer problem and need to return the mobo. The 4 beep codes for the AMI BIOS is a timer failure. Also, seeing errors such as "cpu overclock failure", memory errors (3 beeps), and different messages when no PCIe card is in doesn't surprise me at all. Note that I came to this conclusion a couple of days ago, and just now found the time to get on here and tell you (sorry about that, been busy). The stuff you've posted since then has confirmed it in my mind.

Sandman said:
After some rethinking and a little more research, I really think that you have a clock timer problem and need to return the mobo. The 4 beep codes for the AMI BIOS is a timer failure. Also, seeing errors such as "cpu overclock failure", memory errors (3 beeps), and different messages when no PCIe card is in doesn't surprise me at all. Note that I came to this conclusion a couple of days ago, and just now found the time to get on here and tell you (sorry about that, been busy). The stuff you've posted since then has confirmed it in my mind.

Hi Sandman, thanks for following up on this w/ me. I should've updated this thread w/ some new info. Its definitely not the mobo; I've since gotten another one which worked for one week then something cr4pped out again.. Here's the latest:

Got a hold of a PCI-E x300 vid card today. System booted up fine w/ no problems. Altho the CPU temps were higher than normal (Im guessing due to removin/re-installing heatsink so many times), system booted w/ no problems and no error beeps or msgs.
Swapped the x800 back into the system again, no boot, same problems.
So OK. Pretty much isolated it to a vid card issue w/ my x800 right?

Well, we then tried to change PSU's. Mine's rated @ 460w. We put in a 500w PSU. Then guess what, machine booted up w./ the x800 w/ no problems. Was in windows for about 10 mins (w/ higher than normal CPU temps) then system shut down on its own. Tried powering back up again, no dice, machine shut down on its own. Possible overheat?

Reseated HSF and put back old PSU(460w) along w/ the x800 card to try and see if it'd work this time. No luck, machine wasn't shutting down, but it was back to original problem, no post, no display. Put the x300 back in, voila, machine booted back up again.
THEN, to see if it was a voltage w/ the card issue, put the x800 card back in but this time, didn't plug in the power supply for the vid card (x300 does not need extra power), just plugged into PCI-E slot w/ no power. Again, machine does not boot up.
THEN, put the 500watt PSU back on along w/ the x800 card again and voila, boots up. Tried to start up Far Cry to see how it'd handle some 'stress' and the machine shuts down.
So thats where I'm at now.

Does it sound like a PSU issue? A vid card issue? Or both? Is my machine shutting down due to overheating (a completely un-related issue?).. Should I need more than 500watts of power for what I'm running? I have 2 CDroms, 2 IDE HDD's, a floppy, the vid card, and 4 dimms..... My machine was running fine for 3 months w/ the 460w PSU... did it go bad? Its made by 'sun cheer.'
Or is my vid card somehow F'ed up and requesting too much power? Will it short my mobo if I give it more juice (like a 600w PSU)??

Sorry this was so long. I just wanted to present the issue as clear as possible.
Please help.....

=T

tdg said:
very true....'cause when you feel that you know something, you start to find out there is more out there that you still don't know. It's endless...Also, when you think you know everything, only to find out there is someone out there who knows more than you do. It's endless...

Now back to solving the great mystery -

My take is--

Memory - fine
Mobo - fine or pretty much, you mentioned this too
PSU - fine

IT'S YOUR PROCESSOR!!!! At least, it would be the first thing on my list. When you were runing 3D Mark 05 and memtest86, the CPU got stressed out and partially damaged somehow. And for a reason, it needs more power to boot. Think about it!
X800+CPU>PSU460 (no boot) while no vid card+CPU<=either PSU (boot, no OC error msg), X300+CPU<=PSU460W (boot) and X800+CPU<=PSU500W (boot) but with higher than normal CPU temps. Why the system failed to boot upon re-applying thermal paste? 'Cause your CPU didn't feel like being touched. Why the mobo reported the OC irragularity? 'Cause your proc behaved erractically. I could be wrong but I'll definitely try another CPU first! I think this is the only coherent conclusion I can draw based solely on your descriptions.

Second, it might be your X800 card...

ImLazZzy said:
My take is--

Memory - fine
Mobo - fine or pretty much, you mentioned this too
PSU - fine

IT'S YOUR PROCESSOR!!!! At least, it would be the first thing on my list. When you were runing 3D Mark 05 and memtest86, the CPU got stressed out and partially damaged somehow. And for a reason, it needs more power to boot. Think about it!
X800+CPU>PSU460 (no boot) while no vid card+CPU<=either PSU (boot, no OC error msg), X300+CPU<=PSU460W (boot) and X800+CPU<=PSU500W (boot) but with higher than normal CPU temps. Why the system failed to boot upon re-applying thermal paste? 'Cause your CPU didn't feel like being touched. Why the mobo reported the OC irragularity? 'Cause your proc behaved erractically. I could be wrong but I'll definitely try another CPU first! I think this is the only coherent conclusion I can draw based solely on your descriptions.

Second, it might be your X800 card...

Hmmm... but last week, when I had a chance to test it out w/ all the diff components, I also tried w/ another CPU and these problems still occured. But I hear ya, its definitely possible. I'm gonna try to pickup an ANTEC PSU today, maybe these problems are due to me using crappy PSU's. If that still doesn't work, I'll have to see if I can pick up another x800 on Monday... Too bad no one around here has a PCI-E mobo, that way, I can test out my card on their system. Altho I did try that last week on a PCI-E mobo at the shop, and it didn't work.... aarrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. WTH is going on..?! :mad:

Possibly the video card is damaged? You said it died while running 3dmark, which would lead me to believe that its all in the x800. Try the x300 for a while and see if you have any problems.

hey no fair man! you didn't mention you tried another CPU... :)
poor kid, i can feel your pain...sth i've learned along the way is that never ever use generic parts....right at this point, i'd say you have too much going on, too much to straight them all out. Try to keep it as simple as possible starting from 1+1 testing. If the antec psu doesn't resolve the prob, and you have a chance going back to that shop, try something like only mobo+all other tested parts. If the mobo is good, then mobo+CPU+all other tested parts and so on....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Organize your life by organizing your house.

Here I post my system, if that helps since I am using PCIe:

Asus P5AD2-E with latest BIOS
P4 3.4E with stock cool
Corsair 1GB PC5400 (667MHz) Twin Pair

WD GD74 Raptor on SATA 1
Plextor 716SA on SATA 2
NEC DV5500 on IDE
Maxtor Generic 9GB on IDE

e-force 6600GT
Audigy 2 ZS

Antec TruePower 430W
Wavemaster case with top blowhole mounted

ImLazZzy said:
Here I post my system, if that helps since I am using PCIe:

Asus P5AD2-E with latest BIOS
P4 3.4E with stock cool
Corsair 1GB PC5400 (667MHz) Twin Pair

WD GD74 Raptor on SATA 1
Plextor 716SA on SATA 2
NEC DV5500 on IDE
Maxtor Generic 9GB on IDE

e-force 6600GT
Audigy 2 ZS

Antec TruePower 430W
Wavemaster case with top blowhole mounted

Does your 6600GT require its own power or does it just function off the voltage from the PCI-E slot?

LOL... if only i knew how...I am getting either an X850 XT PE or 6800GT PCIe in ab't two weeks so will let you know by then....Originally, I got this 6600GT as only a transitional card. It turned out to be a bad ass! Doom3 @1600x1200 with Ultra/everything maxed out except 4X anti. is still enjoyably playable. Plus I got it for just $190....mmmm....maybe I'll save it for my SLI system. By the way, i am still trying to decide what to get -
ATI X850 XT PE, 6800 Ultra PCIe or 6800GT PCIe. What do you think?

GREAT NEWS!!!! (well, for me anyway. :) ) Got my machine back up and running today!
Purchased a new PSU, specifically, the Antec NeoPower 480w. Even bought some rounded IDE cables to make the case more tidy. Got everything installed, et voila!!!! machine booted and seems to be running ok!

A few things to note:
Machine booted right up after installing the new PSU. Hearing that 1 system OK beep had me almost creaming in my pants (sorry, TMI). Went into BIOS to re-configure some settings, rebooted, but then to my horror, heard the "system failed due to CPU overclocking" msg and didn't boot. I nearly cried. Powered back up again and this time (3rd time) and it booted up OK. Booted into Windows and noticed that the screen had some major artifacting... Rebooted AGAIN, and now, everything seems to be running OK. I'm still not sure what the original problem was. Was it just a bad PSU or a combination of bad PSU and bad vid card? Gonna keep a close eye on the vid card but everything seems to be working for now so I'm happy.

Thank you all again for the help and advice.
You don't understand how very much I appreciate your efforts. In the process, I've learned a great deal more also.
Hopefully everything will run fine from now on. I'm almost afraid to power down the system again. :p

Keep your fingers crossed for me!
All the best.

-A

congratulations! what are the cpu temps?

I could be you hero.....I'll stand by you ...forever.... :D

Congrats man. Interesting that it was the PSU, those are hard to diagnose. So yeah, it could have easily been the PSU. Remember that 500w doesn't mean "500w at operating temps with clean output" :) Cheap PSU's cause all kinds of headaches, PC power & cooling for me all the way. Before I read that it worked I was about to ask if you plugged the P4 4-pin power connector in ;)

Either way, enjoy the system.

You know, looking back at the previous posts after you said it was the PSU, I could only say, "that was so obvious". Because the more powerful the PSU was, the more capable it was of booting up fine.

460W on X800 : Fail.
460W on X300 : Success.

Yet, you see this pattern...

500W on X800 : Success.

Don't tell me you hadn't realized that earlier. Something was weak there. At least you got your new quality PSU. ;)

-J.

ImLazZzy said:
congratulations! what are the cpu temps?

I could be you hero.....I'll stand by you ...forever.... :D

Temps are still a bit higher than I like.. ~45C idle and 65C under load... But F' it, I'm not opening that thing up anymore. =P

GeForceX said:
You know, looking back at the previous posts after you said it was the PSU, I could only say, "that was so obvious". Because the more powerful the PSU was, the more capable it was of booting up fine.

460W on X300 : Success.

Yet, you see this pattern...

500W on X800 : Success.

Don't tell me you hadn't realized that earlier. Something was weak there. At least you got your new quality PSU. ;)

-J.

2 weeks ago when this problem first started, I thought it might've been the PSU, but when we tried a different one, it still wasn't working. Also, machine still shut off when we were trying w/ the 500w PSU a few days ago. I'm thinking its a combination of something wrong w/ the vid card and my old PSU, or maybe the other PSU's we tried were also bad/low quality. I have a 1yr warranty on the x800 w/ the merchant and 2yr warranty w/ power color so if it goes bad (at this point, seems inevitable), I'll just RMA the darn thing.

Learned a big lesson here tho. Go with quality PSU's only! :p

lexcruiser said:
Learned a big lesson here tho. Go with quality PSU's only! :p

Yep! It's important... I have a 350Watt enermax.. low wattage.. but it does soo much more than some crap 400-450 watt powersupplies.

Hm...iffy...iffy...not intend to dampen your spirits, but I still think something is wrong other than your PSU. You mentioned even with Antec Neo480, the mobo had reported the OC error once. 65C under load is way too high for a 3.0E. Anyways, enjoy your gaming while keep your eyes open at the same time...GL

ImLazZzy said:
Hm...iffy...iffy...not intend to dampen your spirits, but I still think something is wrong other than your PSU. You mentioned even with Antec Neo480, the mobo had reported the OC error once. 65C under load is way too high for a 3.0E. Anyways, enjoy your gaming while keep your eyes open at the same time...GL

Well damn it, you were right.
System crapped out again after a reboot.... Sent the vid card in for RMA, hopefully that was all it was. I'm still not sure if it might be the CPU, but I guess we'll find out after I get the replacement vid card...
Ahhh well. At least it was good for a few days...
:(

cjcox said:
I vote for static charge. It's amazing what those little voltages will do!

Yup, People should be aware that you dont have to feel a shock for it to damage hardware.

lexcruiser said:
Well damn it, you were right.
System crapped out again after a reboot.... Sent the vid card in for RMA, hopefully that was all it was. I'm still not sure if it might be the CPU, but I guess we'll find out after I get the replacement vid card...
Ahhh well. At least it was good for a few days...
:(

I'd be inclined to think your flakey power supply took out your vid card. Possibly your MB and/or CPU as well.

For next time, a single boot up doesn't mean the problem is fixed. You were swapping parts so quickly it would have been hard to diagnose. Swap one part at a time and make sure you reboot atleast 10-15 times before calling it resolved.

lexcruiser said:
Temps are still a bit higher than I like.. ~45C idle and 65C under load... But F' it, I'm not opening that thing up anymore. =P

:p

according to intel ..your cooking your proc you to be around 45c also PDF says on page 35 that at 135F or about 57C the unit will shut down..so your over the limit

hulksterjoe said:
according to intel ..your cooking your proc you to be around 45c also PDF says on page 35 that at 135F or about 57C the unit will shut down..so your over the limit

It says 135C.... And no, my CPU has never even come close to getting that high. :cool:

But I also have the 775-land proc, not the 478-pin.

Thanks for the info tho!

I saw that also, but its gotta be a misprint.. 135c = 275 farentheit and I'm quite sure the mobo and all the other plastic would be goo my then

well check here
http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/302351.htm
This pdf says you could be over the limit also starting on page 73 depinding on your coltage.. if your hitting 65c underload your at the max..

is your case a 'thermally advanced case' ( poor mans blowhole)

Back