Hero Status to you if you can answer this...

lexcruiser said:
Well damn it, you were right.
System crapped out again after a reboot.... Sent the vid card in for RMA, hopefully that was all it was. I'm still not sure if it might be the CPU, but I guess we'll find out after I get the replacement vid card...
Ahhh well. At least it was good for a few days...
:(

Sorry, man. You have been through a lot but don't be upset, calm down and be persistent.
We all have learned a lot along the way haven't we? When you get your new vid card, I'd suggest if you test it with another system first. The point here is to make sure the new card is as sound as a bell. Then you proceed further from there...

Party2go9820 said:
I'd be inclined to think your flakey power supply took out your vid card. Possibly your MB and/or CPU as well.

For next time, a single boot up doesn't mean the problem is fixed. You were swapping parts so quickly it would have been hard to diagnose. Swap one part at a time and make sure you reboot atleast 10-15 times before calling it resolved.

Can't cut cornors on a PSU, that's for sure! But I really hope your PSU didn't take out everything all at once....that'd be way too scary...Well, at this point, I still believe your mobo and memory are all good.

*********************Update!!! (hopefully final! 3/22/05)***********************

Hey, who all remembers this crazy thread and the problems I was having with my possessed PC? :p

Anyway, just thought I'd give a final update for everyone who was following this thread from ways back. I had originally thought the problem was fixed w/ a new PSU but alas, a week later, same problems came back as before. Finally narrowed the problem down to the vid card being bad (a powercolor x800 xt) and sent it in for an RMA. In the meantime, I used an x700 and machine worked like a champ for 1.5 months straight. Just couldn't play any graphic intensive games (ie. HL2, Doom3, Far Cry...) Now finally, after over 2 months, Powercolor sent me a replacement card. And since they didn't have any x800xt's in stock, they decided to finally send me an x850 xt. :D

So yea, I'm a happy camper now and everything seems to be working fine (its been over a week w/ the x850). Hopefully my posting this doesn't jinx it!!!!
Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this. I hope we all learned something in the process..... and that is TO JUST BUY A DELLLLL!!!!!!!! :cool:
jus kidding.
Cheers!

Back