Here Is the Samsung Unpacked Press Event

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Feb 20, 2019.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

2. James21

James21 Limp Gawd

I wonder if they happened to read the financial report from Apple where they said that the huge jump in phone prices seemed to maybe be linked to a similar drop in sales?

Seems like they might not have.

Really nice phones... but the price... it hurts.

digitalwanderer and greenman like this.
  3. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

It's really hard to gouge in a saturated market.

mullet likes this.
  4. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

I'd totally buy the folding phone. But $2000.... I don't think it'll last twice as long as the $1000 phones.

mikeo likes this.
  5. cageymaru

6. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

Great upgrade for those that haven't got a phone in the past couple of years.

7. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

Yeah, but only $42 per month over 24 months with *NO CONTRACT* /s

greenman and cageymaru like this.
  8. TheMadHatterXxX

TheMadHatterXxX 2[H]4U

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!! I got preapproved on an FHA loan for me next phone!

dvsman, mikeo, Swift_OwL and 6 others like this.
  9. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

Did you check with Sallie Mae?

10. gunbust3r

gunbust3r Gawd

Dont pick the person with an S lisp to say Samsung over and over... buds/wearables woman is killing me.

BoiseTech likes this.
  11. acascianelli

acascianelli [H]ardness Supreme

$2000 Galaxy Fold?

Starting to make that $1500 iPhone XS Max 512GB look like a bargain.

Not too surprised at the $1000 price of the S10, now that the barrier has been broken it's just going to become more and more common. You can thank Apple for that mostly. I refuse to pay that much for a phone. I went with the iPhone XR over the XS.

12. cageymaru

Remote surgery on 5G!

Steve_010 likes this.
  13. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

A phone...that does the same shit your last 3 phones did. HOW CAN YOU RESIST?

freeloader1969, jfreund, N4CR and 2 others like this.
  14. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

I didn't see headphone jack mentioned on the comparison between the 9 and the 10.... hmmm...
    Nevermind.. has a jack. And at no extra cost!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  15. gunbust3r

gunbust3r Gawd

I guess it will be another year before someone figures out how to put cameras on the top, bottom, and sides. I need no less than 9 cameras on a $4000 phone that folds into a cootie catcher.

16. Johnx64

Johnx64 My poof SuX

17. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

18. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Plot twist: The E model is the one WITHOUT the edge display!

19. hurleybird

hurleybird [H]Lite

Eh, even if I had that much to spend on a phone the truly enormous bezels on the front display are a total deal-breaker. Also not the biggest fan of the big camera cutout in tablet mode.

20. greenman

greenman Gawd

Dang.. So much money and so many things that most don't need or is just worthless first-gen tech..

Actually looking for a new phone if someone wants to give a suggestion:
    I want a great camera for normal shots and blurred-background portraits, bigger-the-better screen, 3.5 audio jack, microSD slot, and not an awful processor. That's all the things needed. Is this really too much to ask for?
    CDMA preferred (for a free FreedomPop SIM I have), but GSM is fine and I'll only be on wifi, which is just fine for me.

21. Ski

Ski Gawd

In an economy where people can't afford medical emergencies in the event they occur, crippling debt and student loans, these mother fuckers have the audacity to charge a mobile device for $2k. Only thing worse than their greed is the suckers willing to go broke to buy one.

freeloader1969, Madoc and greenman like this.
  22. cageymaru

Earlier, I was discussing how to start a small business with someone. Now I don't know if I should start a business or buying a folding phone.

:)

23. cattix

cattix n00b

Wt.... it cant decide whether its a phone or a tablet... simply one question.. whyyy?! It makes NO sense to build something like this. The only probable explanation is that they previously did everythong they could on a smartphone and ran straight out of ideas. So they created this... whatever it is. A testament to the fact that you should not build something simply because you can!

24. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Making a screen protector for that folding phone is gonna be...interesting.

25. xenon expert

xenon expert Limp Gawd

Let's be honest here. This is a first gen product and basically a prototype. Of course it will be expensive. I'm more upset about the prices of normal phones in general that almost all manufacturers keep raising year after year.

26. alamox

alamox Gawd

they need to calm down on the pricing, these are double what they should be, luckily samsung drop price overtime to get down to those 30-50% discounts a year from now, contrary to Apple that holds on the same price to give the illusion of retained value, which at my complete shock actualy works, the human mind is a funny thing.

27. Usual_suspect

Usual_suspect Limp Gawd

No ones forced to buy the phone. They can charge what they want, if people opt to forgo things like food, medical emergencies etc. that’s their choice, at the end of the day it isn’t Samsung’s fault. Ultimately as I see it phones like this are a luxury not a necessity.

28. dreadcthulhu

dreadcthulhu [H]Lite

The strange thing to me about the rising prices of flagships is that at the same time mid-range phones (say $150 to $300) just keep getting better and better. The only reason to shell out extra for a flagship model these days is for pure fashion purposes; hey it works for clothing.

Yes, this here - for anyone with a strained budget, there has never been a better time to get a smartphone. You can buy a Moto x4 for $150 these days, and be good to go for any normal smartphone task. And below that, even the sub $100 phones on prepaid carriers are surprisingly usable these days, just don't expect much from the cameras, or to play 3d games.

29. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Used v10 or v20 shits all over most mid range phones with crippled features. 100usd for a v10, 1440p, great cam 4k, great dac, Jack, removable battery, dual sim, still looks great.

30. PenGunn

PenGunn Limp Gawd

The P30 Pro, following up on last years P20, the world's best phone, is just over $700 US. I dunno what to say, I'll probably get one, the camera is pretty nice. Too bad about your strange 'the sky is falling' national breakdown, as I don't think you can have one in America. ;)

31. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

I am getting a new phone when the current one stop working, but its not going to be at this insane price.
    I might get a new phone when my provider have rolled out 5G, at least if i can get that at the same price as my 4G

32. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

Me too, but not for $2k lmao

greenman likes this.
  33. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

I called it being $2k. People laughed.

The status is more important to a lot of people then all those things.

mikeo and greenman like this.
  34. Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon Limp Gawd

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a flagship phone. There's also plenty of budget smartphones on the market for every budget.

SvenBent likes this.
  35. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

I was sure it'd be about 1500 or so. 2K is just crazy
    HOWEVER, this will be the way it is at the start. Its a new form factor, everyone will get in on the action and hopefully it'll bring the price down a bit

36. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

In a third world country where medical emegencies are not taking care off. or proper education of your people
    Dont blame Samsung for your country's failure and corruption. other countries do exist.

Are you going complain about all the expensive racecars too?

37. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

I had a Galaxy 2 back in the day, far too much on it i was not able to remove in a normal way, and if a company force me to go to extremes to get what i have paid for, then i am sorry but FU then

38. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

To bad about Huawei being less trustworthy than Apple.

39. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Check out the upcoming Xiaomi Mi 9
    https://www.techradar.com/news/xiao...dxomark-beats-iphone-xs-max-and-galaxy-note-9

499 start price I believe

40. freeloader1969

freeloader1969 2[H]4U

My beloved S5 just died about one month ago. Fat chance I'd ever buy a new phone anymore with the prices they want and yes, I can easily afford a $1000 phone before anyone asks. Would I ever buy one at that price, FUCK NO! I'm trying to find another S5 used or refurbished locally. It made calls, sent texts and played the odd game of Solitaire just fine. I'm glad these companies (Apple and soon to find out Samsung) are losing sales due to their inflated prices, maybe they'll learn there is an actual limit to what people will pay for the same old crap.