Here is some Minecraft RTX

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I made this video just to show the game in its current beta state with Ray Tracing.

This game needs vast amounts of optimizations.

Original resolution is 3440x1440 down converted to 1080p in Davinci Resolve Studio. I didnt spend any time doing fancy post production. Just wanted to share this.

One thing this teaches us, is the current limit for full on raytracing across the entire scene!

Thanks for sharing! tangoseal

I have a couple of RTX cards here and have been too lazy to get the beta installed to try it out. I'm hoping a 2060 super could pull it off decently at 1080p by the time it goes full release. My youngest saw a demo and shared this: "Dad there is an update to Minecraft that makes everything more beautiful! Can we get it?"

Gaming and PCs in general can get pretty spendy but even more so when your kids are into it too!

Yeah either the implementation still needs a ton of work or its just the reality of first gen tech and its weaknesses. A bit of both most likely.

Edit: The Digital Foundry review Vid on YouTube is pretty helpfull has they explain and show various in game settings as well as running on an i5 8400/2060 system vs a 3900x/2080ti box. It looks totally doable on a 2060 super or better and one can get by on a 2060 if you already have one.

Last edited:
Yeah, my kid was asking about this as well as. He plays it an his iPad and was shocked with how it looked with RT. Even though he has no idea what that is lol.

If only I could find a 2080 Super or 2080ti with a nice cooler in the FS section :)

I'm excited to see the implementation in more games. I know the RTX cards have had some FPS performance issues with it on, but once its fully adopted and part of cards in a bigger way, it will just add to the realism of games

I'm excited to see the implementation in more games. I know the RTX cards have had some FPS performance issues with it on, but once its fully adopted and part of cards in a bigger way, it will just add to the realism of games

Really I think RTX plus DLSS 2 is where its goong to shine. Rtx is cool but dlss 2 is the power punch of it all.

The camera obscura effect from the Digital Foundry video is some of the most next gen shit I've seen in ages.

Don’t forget you can turn the render distance down... you can make lesser cards work just can’t crank everything to 11.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I always thought minecraft was supposed to look kind of crappy/retro.

Reactions: dan1
like this
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I always thought minecraft was supposed to look kind of crappy/retro.

It was not designed to look crappy. It was designed to be able to run on anything faster than a wrist watch. It achieved that. Now its being polished for the high end for those that want that.

I don't know what I was expecting.. but I may just jump on the 'HD texture packs' or something instead.

I don't know what I was expecting.. but I may just jump on the 'HD texture packs' or something instead.

Well its not ready. THis is just an preview release. Give them some more time to deeply further development and it might hit 200fps on RTX 2060 for all we know. It needs lots of work. They are just showcasing what they have done so far.

I have to question the point of having Ray Tracing in Minecraft.
No graphical boost could make that game look good.
I had it, even installed those super high res "realistic" textures and it didn't help.
The game is butt ugly regardless how you mod it but it's not popular because it's butt ugly, therefore what's the point of boosting it's visuals?

Reactions: dan1
like this
I have to question the point of having Ray Tracing in Minecraft.
No graphical boost could make that game look good.
I had it, even installed those super high res "realistic" textures and it didn't help.
The game is butt ugly regardless how you mod it but it's not popular because it's butt ugly, therefore what's the point of boosting it's visuals?

I think its because its a fantastic contrast between a before and after and is a real, "wow! Now I can see what Ray tracing does" kind of effect. Lots of people dont have an eye for noticing differences in ray on and off.

Take a game like BF 5, ray off, engine on ultra settings the game looks amazing. Turn ray on and the avg gamer might not see a stark contrast. But to the trained die hard gamer eye you will. Minecraft RTX is the perfect laymans path to showing off the effect as it provides a massive contrast of before and after.

nV is doing this as a showcase project. Not a market place item to sale.

I think its because its a fantastic contrast between a before and after and is a real, "wow! Now I can see what Ray tracing does" kind of effect. Lots of people dont have an eye for noticing differences in ray on and off.

Take a game like BF 5, ray off, engine on ultra settings the game looks amazing. Turn ray on and the avg gamer might not see a stark contrast. But to the trained die hard gamer eye you will. Minecraft RTX is the perfect laymans path to showing off the effect as it provides a massive contrast of before and after.

nV is doing this as a showcase project. Not a market place item to sale.

I'd totally agree with that. I follow the graphics updates and whatever but these days, I can hardy see any improvements other than framerate and higher res which may or may not mean anything. Take a game that way made to have crappy graphics as a design language and then add on new hotness and it helps to see the new effects. Watching COD videos and I can't see a diff between consoles and PC's. PC just look the same these days compared to consoles. Youtube with the compression helps mask any resolution improvements so whatever. I'll buy a console before I pay for a video card.

I'd totally agree with that. I follow the graphics updates and whatever but these days, I can hardy see any improvements other than framerate and higher res which may or may not mean anything. Take a game that way made to have crappy graphics as a design language and then add on new hotness and it helps to see the new effects. Watching COD videos and I can't see a diff between consoles and PC's. PC just look the same these days compared to consoles. Youtube with the compression helps mask any resolution improvements so whatever. I'll buy a console before I pay for a video card.
That is a significant point which many others may conclude as well, how much of an impact will that make for the lower end GPU's is to be seen. The great point for PC's, which I will most likely just stick with, is the versatility and uncompromising to the large extent anything computing and very useful to get real work done and not just an entertainment device. For a purely gaming machine the upcoming Consoles will be rather enticing for a lot of folks I do believe which may impact sells of the lower end gaming cards if not the mid range. There is something rather big, at least for me still missing with Consoles and that is quality VR support, which makes them less valuable in my case.

I think its because its a fantastic contrast between a before and after and is a real, "wow! Now I can see what Ray tracing does" kind of effect.

That is how I felt when I tried the beta. It was more of a wow factor that it could make Minecraft look that different/better.

The kids noticed right away that I wasn’t playing the normal game. But my wife, who doesn’t really care for gaming said it just looked the same and walked out.

Looks like RTX is for the bedrock edition only?

No RTX on my minecraft server :(

Looking at that all I can think of is the original DOOM and how badass that would have been in the day. Don't know why, but that's what struck me.

Back