Helping Netflix Members Get More from Their Mobile Data Plans

HardOCP News

[H] News
So, is this an issue for you guys or do you think Netflix is doing the right thing here? Personally, I don't know why you just can't have a setting that allows you to toggle this on or off.

We believe restrictive data caps are bad for consumers and the Internet in general, creating a dilemma for those who increasingly rely on their mobile devices for entertainment, work and more. So in an effort to protect our members from overage charges when they exceed mobile data caps, our default bitrate for viewing over mobile networks has been capped globally at 600 kilobits per second. It’s about striking a balance that ensures a good streaming experience while avoiding unplanned fines from mobile providers.

I think there needs to be a setting to choose your bitrate. For those of us who have unlimited data plans, we should be able to get the highest quality possible while on a 4g LTE signal.

Why can't it be user selectable like their regular streaming service? Many countries have the option. (if not all now ?)

For my kids iPads I do 700Kbs, 2 pass, "slow" preset on MP4 and it is barely acceptable visual quality. Still get visible macro blocking during high action. The upside is that movies come in at about 500-700MB depending on if animation or live action.

I don't watch much Netflix on my phone but if I did I would like the option to toggle that setting off on my account. I'd rather live with T-Mobile's 1.5 Mbit BingeOn cap than be limited arbitrarily by the content provider.

Changing subjects slightly, for those of you that still get the DVD / disc service of Netflix, have you noticed a slow down in turn around time on the discs?

I used to be able to get a disc in about 3 days, but now I am seeing more like 6-7 days. The Saturday thing played as major part in that, but the last year I have noticed that even shipping out on a Monday still gets me a disc on Friday or Saturday.

So apparently Netflix doesn't throttle on T-Mobile and Sprint. Probably why I have never noticed the downgrade.

http://gizmodo.com/netflix-has-quietly-been-throttling-mobile-video-for-ye-1766991862

Yeah it looks like they're only doing this to Verizon and AT&T customers. They claim the stream is 360p in quality but Netflix's 360p streams are pretty bad. My guess is they want to use customer outrage to push AT&T and Verizon to drop their caps or institute the same kind of thing T-mo is doing.

I use Emby and YouTube a lot on my mobile devices, and when T-Mobile throttles my data, they're basically worthless. T-Mobile has unlimited data but once I'm past 2GB, which happens easily, my internet speeds are crap.

This is why I've primarily have had to use Hulu while I'm in home internet limbo. Currently using my phone + av out to stream.

It won't affect me, but it's certainly a nice feature for many users. I like that it will be a toggle option for those on unlimited data plans.

My mobile plan is a on a $/MB basis - something I want for the time being. As a result, I'm not streaming videos over my data network. And if I'm on wifi and am in a position to watch videos, I'm likely at home and would rather stream it through a decent screen with decent sound.

A lot of Netflix users don't know they can already change the speed for regular (non-mobile) viewing. Go to netflix.com -> Your Account -> Playback Settings, choose a speed other than Auto to avoid issues with buffering.

Back