helping my brother

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, www, a few movies, photoshop and programming coming soon
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
~$1k, doesn't matter
3) Where do you live?
MN
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
CPU, RAM, MB, Video card, HDD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Antec P180, Corsair 650TX, nec dvd burner, x-fi gamer
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Currently at 20" mva panel, looking at getting the 2209WA or 2408WFP. I would like to go dual monitor but it's just a thought. I use inputdirector with my pretty powerful laptop.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within 2-3 months
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Stability and performance
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes, Win 7 Pro.

This is my situation. I build a new computer every few years, and hand down my old computer to my younger brother. Well, the old computer had a bad PSU (antec sp-500) and it took the whole system with it. I feared this would happen... Anyway, my current system of a q6600, 8800gt, 4gb ram. It is completely fine for now, but he's stuck with a P4 and 6600gt. I know that for myself, the largest performance increase I could get would be a SSD. But I would like to help him out because of the situation.

I could either make something faster than what I have now (i.e. i7) or something on par, or something else? What do you think? Should I go cheap and upgrade often or more expensive and less often?

Last edited:
Go for the middle ground: Upgrade whenever you feel performance is lacking and go for the best bang for the buck parts.

I say just go full out for a Core i7. Got the money, why not?

Back