help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay2nice000

Limp Gawd
Ok so here is my story a few months ago I tried to built a PC but funds where short but now I have the cash ( trying to save also) and want buy some parts off from some trust worth people on here but no one will sell me anything. How am I suppose to built heat and trust if no one is giving me a chance. What do I do?

read the stickies above and get contact info/PM ppl thru heatware/ebay to verify.

just some tips, just be careful even with high heat.

Not sure why they will not sell you anything. Since your only part is to pay them the money to begin with. Most give a cell phone number and talk, that should solve the no trust issue there. Thanks

Not sure why they will not sell you anything. Since your only part is to pay them the money to begin with. Most give a cell phone number and talk, that should solve the no trust issue there. Thanks

There are PLENTY of ways for a seller to get shafted by a buyer especially if PayPal is involved. I won't sell to a buyer without heat unless they are going to use a cash equivalent method such as a USPS money order that I can walk in and cash before shipping.

I dont see a problem. You say you want the part. Pay them with Paypal. Then they send the part.

The only problem I would see is buying from someone who doesnt have a good Heat.

There are PLENTY of ways for a seller to get shafted by a buyer especially if PayPal is involved. I won't sell to a buyer without heat unless they are going to use a cash equivalent method such as a USPS money order that I can walk in and cash before shipping.

There is the same amount of getting shafted by the seller also. As I have seen people with large heatware feedback shaft a buyer . What most fail to remember that we was all just starting out at one time. If you don't like paypal, then ask for a different payment. As like you stated, they are plenty of ways to get the money and still be safe.

Hopefully he can get a item he needs with enough information. And a agreed form of payment. If the seller really wants to sell a item. Then he/she will find a way of payment to reach a agreement. There is always a 50-50 chance on both ends of the party these days. Thanks

OP, getting started can be a little tough, but with some work you can establish yourself just fine. Most people who buy/sell here are really decent folks that are pretty easy to work with. That said, you are the "new" guy in the trading community so you can expect to be met with a fair amount of suspicion.

If you want to use Paypal, make sure you have a verified address, and have an instant payment option setup. Now some folks won't be willing to do anything other than a transaction where you pay up front, generally this works out just fine around here, but you do need to protect yourself by following good trading practices:

-Get a full name
-Search for their name/nick name on google, you would be amazed what you can find
-Get their address and google it to make sure it exists
-Get a phone number
-Get an email address and verify it works
-Establish a timeline for the whole trade (I'll send money via xxxx, once received you'll ship via specified carrier upon so and so time and provide a tracking number)
-Above all, communicate during the transaction, and expect your seller to as well

Now some folks won't be willing to use paypal, and if they're willing to wait for one, you can offer to send a money order. Now when it comes to money orders, USPS money orders are the gold standard because you can cash them at the post office. When you cash them at the post office they're verified authentic and you get real money back. Depositing a money order from somewhere else at the bank can be risky, because if it turns out to be fake, it can take 2-3 weeks for them to figure it out and they'll remove the funds from your account.

Also, while a seller having a high amount of heat can be a good sign, it's not a guarantee of no problems. Get the information above and if you get a bad feeling on the deal, just walk away it's not worth getting scammed. While the VAST majority of trades here come off without a hitch, just using some common sense can help you dramatically reduce your risk.

There is the same amount of getting shafted by the seller also. As I have seen people with large heatware feedback shaft a buyer . What most fail to remember that we was all just starting out at one time. If you don't like paypal, then ask for a different payment. As like you stated, they are plenty of ways to get the money and still be safe.

Hopefully he can get a item he needs with enough information. And a agreed form of payment. If the seller really wants to sell a item. Then he/she will find a way of payment to reach a agreement. There is always a 50-50 chance on both ends of the party these days. Thanks

I agree with you 100% but your post seemed to suggest that a seller didn't assume any risk from a shady buyer.

I'd be glad to sell to you, but without heat I'd only accept USPS money order. Let me know what you are looking for.

I'm perfectly fine with you sending email to those I have dealt with to check my references. Best thing is to review heat and if a person is dealing with others with good/high heat just send their customers a quick email to verify all went well. Any good trader will work with you and won't hide from heatware refs.

My heat = DooKey

If paying with pay pal make sure you set up a confirmed address. I WILL NOT ship items to an unverified address.

I'd be glad to sell to you, but without heat I'd only accept USPS money order. Let me know what you are looking for.

I'm perfectly fine with you sending email to those I have dealt with to check my references. Best thing is to review heat and if a person is dealing with others with good/high heat just send their customers a quick email to verify all went well. Any good trader will work with you and won't hide from heatware refs.

My heat = DooKey
I feel safe with Paypal had deal with Ebay a few times in my life never had a sore deal. My Paypal is verified. I dont feel comfortable sending money threw money order cause someone can cash it and there is no secure net for me. the same way some people want me to gift the money threw them again no security net for me. So what is a safe way where the buyer and seller feel.secure?

I'm surprised that you are having trouble buying things. I bought from three different sellers within my first week on the forums and I had no heatware or recent ebay feedback. Maybe that's because I bought gift cards. Perhaps you could do some smaller safe purchases first to build a little feedback and then you wouldn't have problems with people trusting you?

as long as your paypal address is confirmed, it should be okay, i'm not sure why seller would be reluctant to sell to new member ( as long as they cover their bases they should be okay)

I feel safe with Paypal had deal with Ebay a few times in my life never had a sore deal. My Paypal is verified. I dont feel comfortable sending money threw money order cause someone can cash it and there is no secure net for me. the same way some people want me to gift the money threw them again no security net for me. So what is a safe way where the buyer and seller feel.secure?

As a long time trader I don't feel secure unless you have a history of good trades. If you want to build a history work with established traders. At the beginning I shipped first and paid with MO. If you expect someone to trust you then you have to build trust. I won't sell to someone with little to no heat unless you pay MO or have verified Paypal address and pay non-CC.

As a long time trader I don't feel secure unless you have a history of good trades. If you want to build a history work with established traders. At the beginning I shipped first and paid with MO. If you expect someone to trust you then you have to build trust. I won't sell to someone with little to no heat unless you pay MO or have verified Paypal address and pay non-CC.

now i can and willing to do a non cc paypal. now just to find someone with a part i want that is willing to do this. thank you all for all your input

I'm surprised that you are having trouble buying things. I bought from three different sellers within my first week on the forums and I had no heatware or recent ebay feedback. Maybe that's because I bought gift cards. Perhaps you could do some smaller safe purchases first to build a little feedback and then you wouldn't have problems with people trusting you?

I just started buying and selling on the FS/FT forums this year with great results. Everyone seems friendly enough as long as you follow the rules on the stickies.

Heat

what is a good rating on heat, to where a person is trustworthy?

There is no number. Time is also a factor, I would meet someone with 50 trades in two weeks with a lot more suspicion than someone with 20 in a year.

Not to toot my horn but this is about as trustworthy as you can get

http://heatware.com/eval.php?pagenum=1&id=38989 (lol I actually bought something from crossfire. damn I'm old.)

You'll notice not just a lot of positive feedback but a lack of negative and a lot of space in between trades sometimes months or years. If someone has negative feedback they better damn well open the dialog with why. If they just started selling you should have no apprehension about asking why. You're the buyer it's your right to ask.

When buying stuff for me a lot of it is the person. What is their communication like? Do they use proper grammar?

If someone has low or no feedback I literally strike up a conversation with them and try and gauge what kind of person they are. I have a friend that will ask for a phone number so he can talk on the phone with them(this is only in the case of low feedback).

If you are new to buying I really do suggest sticking with people how have 20+ feedback and are detailed in communications and respond quickly or explain why they are not quick to respond. You'll always pay less than retail here on [H]. It's worth paying a couple bucks more to buy from a solid trader.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back