HELP!!!

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
I saw this thread about OS's and I went "a ha" :eek:

I like to mess around with all different flavors of Linux Some of the reasons are it's free which appeals to my "el cheapo" syndrome, it's a "low requierment" OS (in other words it doesn't take up a lot of HD space and it runs fine on slower hardware) and I think it may be the "future" OS of the computing world (don't nobody get their "shorts in a twist", I have three (3) store bought WinXP CD's and "if Gods willin' and the creek don't rise" I'll probaby get a VISTA 64 bit version, I like to use the GPU2 client for folding :rolleyes: )

What I've been doin' lately is "dual" booting different 64 bit flavors on one of my E6600 boxen. (my 2x Q6600's are WC'ed and dedicated 24/7 folders) I've never had this problem before, the boxen (E6600) at present has Ubuntu 64 v8.08 on a little SATA 80 gigger (partitioned about 40/40) I had a store bought CD with Mandriva 2008 on it (I have a bunch of store bought CD's, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mandriva, openSUSE, Puppy, DSL, CentOS, Xandros (store bought and self DL'ed), etc, I also have a drawer full of CD's I had DL'ed and burned to CD or DVD Fedora 7&8, Slackware, PCLinuxOS, Mephis (both versions), Xubuntu, etc.) and I went ahead and did the Mandriva installation (I don't think the 64 bit version has a Live CD)

It seems I can repair "grub" with the Live Ubuntu CD "easy breezy". I use the same idea as installing Windose after Linux to get grub to recognise Ubuntu. Here's the major problemo' when I install the Mandriva 64 bit flavor grub'll only recognise Mandriva and not Ubuntu :confused:

I know it's probably the menu.lst file in the boot/grub folder for the Ubuntu flavor (master boot record?). What I need is someone to walk me through the file. (someting about chain something or other? :confused:) Oh yeah, I have a "common" swap file for both OS's.

Thanks in advance

FOLD ON!

Sounds like a good idea to use vmware for trying out all those other OS's

Chill out and forget my plea for help. I'm posting this on Mandriva 2008 that I was havin' problems getting into (I prefer Ubuntu). All I hada' do was nix the auto boot-in thing for Ubuntu, go into my boot/grub/menu.lst on the Mandriva partition, cut and paste that into the Ubuntu boot/grub/menu.lst, increase the time thing to 10 seconds (I even did the ESC key thing to be safe after #'ing out the "hidden menu" command) and here I am postin' in Mandriva 2008 :D

Ah..., I've done the VMWare thing with several different Linux flavors for folding, but this is primarily just on for a few days OS's and off to another flavor. IMO it's not worth the hassle to do VMWare (RAM, setup, cluttering my small HD's, etc) just to try out these flavors. Like I said in a previous post, I wanted to try Mandriva 2008 and as far as I know it doesn't come in a Live CD for the 64 bit version, only a 32 bit version CD. :eek:

Edit: Oh yeah, does anyone know how to compile and install the FAHmon 2.3.2b program in Mandriva 2008 :confused: (you know like the dependencies needed, I was impressed it already had the ia32bit libs thing so I could LinSMP right from the "jump" :p)

FOLD ON!

Back