help

I hope its not my monitor... thats the only part of my computer I was planning on keeping when I build my new one in Feb. :(

The artifacting comes and goes, it started yesterday.

Your video card is either screwed up due to heat, age, cleanliness or all of the above.

Try cleaning out your case of dust and webs and leave the side panels off. If the artifacts still show up after all that, then your video card is dying.

Please post the specs of your PC so that we can help you better. And be as detailed as possible as to what make and model video card and PSU you have.

This link might be of help:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

its a velocity micro
cpu:3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
board: Intel Corporation D875PBZ AAC26680-205
graphics card: RADEON 9800 XT
monitor: DELL 2001FP
ram: 2gigs
harddrive: western digital raptor 75 x2 raid 0

not sure what else you need, ill check out that link too. Thanks.

My money is on the monitor. I had a buddy that had the same thing. Tried a different monitor.. all better. Sucks man...

Is the screen like that all the time or do the colors/artifacts change as the computer boots? How does the screen look during POST? Bad video cards will generally change the extent of the artifacting depending on what they are doing, and even what driver is loaded. See if your display clears up at all when either in your BIOS or in safe mode which would use the generic windows VGA driver.

Every time I've seen artifacting like that the video card has been at fault. When I've seen monitors die they either stretch or shrink the image on the screen, have the image shake a lot or just show nothing but black. (these are all CRTs, only LCD I've had die it just stopped turning on)

So far it loads up normally, then I notice a little artifact on my cursor. Then if I open any windows/apps or do anything it just gets all over the screen where I did it. Then if I turn the computer off I notice different artifacts on the boot and post. If I turn it off and leave it for awhile it seems to get better. It also seems just to go away at random times just to come back later...

I was planning on building a new one soon... I just need her to hold together a bit longer lol.

did you try cleaning the dust out of your computer yet? and cleaning your video card heat sink and its fan unit?

Try swapping out monitors; if you're still seeing artifiacts, then (using your original monitor) try swapping out video cards (or, if your board has onboard video, take out the graphics card and use acitvate the onboard video from the BIOS). As a last resort, you may want to switch out the power supply.

If none of those tactics work, your computer may be on its last legs.

Back