Help with two Z97 MB Picks

UMASS

Gawd
Hi All: Microcenter has a sale going on right now (in-store only) for some Intel combos. I'm looking @ a i7-4790K @ $279.99 I'll be building a new rig early September.

My 2 choices I've narrowed it down to:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7 MB (Combo Price $424.98 AR $20.00 Rebate)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/433407/GA-Z97X-Gaming_7_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

MSI Z97 Gaming 7 MB (Combo Price $404.98 AR $10.00 Rebate)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/443700/Z97-Gaming_7_1150ATX_Intel_Motherboard

I've had both MB in AMD systems in the past & never had an issue (fingers crossed) They are both so close in specs & price. Any insight? Which would you choose? Appreciate any feedback.

I have a bias against gigabyte since my previous computer had their motherboard in it and USB never worked, and the audio was the worst. It wasn't so horrible but you know what they say about the grass being greener ...

That being said I only ever owned a GPU by MSI and it performed flawlessly .. until the gpu blew a gasket. I had had it for 4+ years so I wasn't too pissed since the temps inside the case were pretty balmy.

I JUST built a UEFI computer literally this weekend. It wasn't flawless by any means but partly my fault.

Being prepared with all the UEFI boot files my external USB drive booted windows right up without fail. Don't let that be the determining factor.

If you're waiting until September, you might as well wait for Skylake. MC always has deals. So wait for the Skylake deals.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned I not going the Skylake route. The DC i7-4790K will suite my needs fine for the next 3-4 years. I usually don't start to OC until my CPU is a year old or so. I play mostly all strategy games (Age of Wonders series, Heroes of Might & Magic etc.) Not to mention a ton of older games from GOG.com These don't need super high-end. Hell....I could squeeze another year out of this old AMD system. I just want to build a new box with SSD & updated everything.

I'm going to give the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 a try. Heading down to Microcenter this afternoon to pick up the MB & CPU.

I went ahead & built my new rig yesterday. Still using my older XFX 7870 for now. I must admit, the MSI Z97 booted right up away (WIN 7 64-Bit Pro) & recognized my CPU, RAM, SSD & VC. Needed to tweak the RAM. I forgot what a PITA it is getting the OS system, all drivers up to date! It's a pretty slick board for the money I paid ($124.99 AR $10.00) It's pretty loaded with features.

One thing I have never seen is you can use a 4-Pin Molex connector to power the sound card on the MB directly for improved sound. Maybe a "gimmick" but I did it anyway. I'll run Prime this weekend & see how it goes.

Geez....I'm super rusty as my last build (for myself) was 5 years ago. Funny how you forget stupid little things.

My MSI Z97 Gaming 7 MB died a few days ago (sigh...) I requested an RMA & MSI responded very quickly. MB is in transit. I hope I'll receive a new solid MB. I'll give MSI a thumbs-up for customer service.

Back