Help with Samba request

I'm a noober when it comes to Linux. But I understand that Linux can use a program called Samba to share folders with a Windows system over the same network--with the hopes of pointing FahMon to the shared folder for monitoring purposes--I'm already running FahMon in Linux, I just want to run the Linux box headless. I should pipe in that I'm also new to using Windows networking. I've tried doing it myself with lackluster results. Can anybody direct me to a guide or provide step-by-step instructions? Thanks.

Wrong sub forum, go to networking subforum and they'll be able to help you better. I'm not able to assist you sorry.

Which distro are you useing ??

I dont know alot of Linux but heres what I do know.
You needed to have the samba module installed.
Then read the bottom half of This Post.
That tells you how to setup a samba share.

Now you know as much as I do.

Luck ............ :D

So I read bits and pieces here and there on the net, and I have my Linux system (Xubuntu 7.10--extremely similar to Ubuntu except it runs on just 128 MB RAM) via Samba appear and share my folding folder in My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Workgroup.

The purpose of using Samba in my case was to allow a dedicated linux folding system to run without a monitor. This is possible by sharing your folding client's linux folder over a Windows home network, and pointing FAHmon, on a Windows system, to this shared folder (so it can read the clients' Fahlogs').

Here's how I did it.

First, we'll need to download and install a couple of packages. In Xubuntu this can be done via the Synaptic Package Manger (Applications Menu > System > Synaptic Package Manger) or via the Terminal. Use the Synpatic Package Manager if you want a GUI; use the Terminal if you want to copy and paste my code in to the console.

We need a text editor. Open the console and enter:
Code:
su
<root password>
apt-get install gedit

Enter Y when prompted to download and install the necessary files.

We need Samba. Open the console and enter:
Code:
su
<root password>
apt-get install samba

Next we are going to configure how Samba talks to our Microsoft Windows Home Network by editing smb.conf.

To open this file with root permissions we'll enter in the terminal:
Code:
cd /etc/samba
su
<root password>
gedit smb.conf

The smb.conf file will open in a simple text editor. First thing we want to do is delete all the pre-fab text, since all we're doing is creating a simple file share. In its place we want to add the following lines:

[global]
workgroup = <name of Windows XP workgroup>
netbios name = <name to identify this linux computer in Windows XP>
security = share
write list = <your linux user name>
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[share]
comment = <add comment>
path =<folder you want to share> (see note)
writeable = yes

Note: path = should vary depending on the folder that houses your folding client(s). If you only run one client, you can share that folder, itself. If you run 2 clients, share the folder one directory level above your clients' folders. For instance, I run 2 folding clients, which are located at /home/sfc//folding/FAH1 and /home/sfc/folding/FAH2, so this is my path = /home/sfc/folding.

Press the save button and exit gedit.

Next we're going to set permission on the folder we just shared so that it is viewable in our Microsoft Windows Network. Use the file manager to navigate to the folder you are sharing (from above "path =") and right-click on it select properties and change the permissions tab to allow Others permissions.

Now we need to add your credentials/the credentials of the Windows user who will be accessing the shared folder to Samba's password file. In Terminal enter:
Code:
cd /etc/samba
su
<root password>
smbpasswd -a <your linux user name>
<your linux password>
<your linux password (retype)>

Note there is probably a way to add additional user names other than the current user name, but for the sake of keeping it simple--this is a dedicated folding box after all--I recommend using the same user name and password that you use to login to your Linux OS.

That's it for the Linux config. Restart your Linux box, open the System Monitor, and check if the processes nmbd and smbd are running. (Note: I have two instances of smbd running, but it does not seem to make any difference).

Time to move over to your Windows XP box.

If the user name you configured Samba with above is not a user in your Windows XP OS user group, then add a new user with the same user name and password you configured Samba with in Linux. Once you have logon/password credentials setup that are the same as those you configured in Linux restart Windows XP.

Navigate to:
Code:
My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > <workgroup name> > 
Samba3.0.9<name of linux computer> > <the linux folder you shared>

You may want to map this network shared folder to make it easier to get to in the future.

In FahMon navigate to this shared (mounted?) folder to monitor your linux clients' folding progress.

Corrections and additions are welcome. I hope this helps some people. I literally developed a headache figuring this out tonight. :confused:

Corrections and additions are welcome. I hope this helps some people. I literally developed a headache figuring this out tonight.
Thanks, your tutorial is greatly appreciated. Thinking of doing this eventually when I get into Linux. :)

I fold on Ubuntu and I just followed this guide. It was super easy setting it up... You almost don't even have to type any commands in :D

http://www.xawk.com/ubuntu-samba-basics.html

With openSUSE 10.3 I don't have to type anything in to setup my Samba shares. :p

Depending on the distro you're using, most of them have Samba included. You may still need to install it off of the CD or DVD (which most have a package manager you can use to do the installation) and this is the recommended way of doing it. The package manager will make sure you have all the proper dependencies before it even does the install and it will take care of any type of compiling or whatever that might be needed. Also, if you update the kernel you don't have to worry about software breaking that was installed via the package manager. When something is manually compiled, it normally needs to be recompiled every time you update the kernel in order to work properly and sometimes even at all.

Just thought I would give people a heads up on the usefulness of the package manager.

Thank Mr. Yield about that guide... I'll look at this method for Xubuntu because I had been pulling hair with the 8.04 version 2 days ago which refused to allow Windows to open the share even if I configured it exactly the same as my other linux boxes :(

I was feeling "gutsy" so I tried to flash my POS Buffalo wireless router with DD-WRT. Yep, I bricked it. So I got Samba working for like 3 hours, then independently wrecked my own home network setup.

Oh well, ordering a Linksys WRT54GL, which supposedly has rock solid stability when using DD-WRT firmware.

Yes. I'm going to try third-party firmware again. :eek:

I was trying the beta version and I think this might be the cause of the issues. I heard the final version will be released next week so I'll wait for it before retrying.

I was feeling "gutsy" so I tried to flash my POS Buffalo wireless router with DD-WRT. Yep, I bricked it. So I got Samba working for like 3 hours, then independently wrecked my own home network setup.

Oh well, ordering a Linksys WRT54GL, which supposedly has rock solid stability when using DD-WRT firmware.

Yes. I'm going to try third-party firmware again. :eek:

The day I got a used Linksys WRT54G ver3 for free I flashed it to DD-WRT and have never looked back. I've had to use other WRT54G routers with the stock firmware and hated it with a passion. It's definitely worth the time and risk to flash.

I'm a noober when it comes to Linux. But I understand that Linux can use a program called Samba to share folders with a Windows system over the same network--with the hopes of pointing FahMon to the shared folder for monitoring purposes--I'm already running FahMon in Linux, I just want to run the Linux box headless. I should pipe in that I'm also new to using Windows networking. I've tried doing it myself with lackluster results. Can anybody direct me to a guide or provide step-by-step instructions? Thanks.
I suspect you are an imposter -
Come in and complain about being a "noober" (normally it's noobie") and then a couple of hours later post a very good guide!!

I suspect you are an imposter -
Come in and complain about being a "noober" (normally it's noobie") and then a couple of hours later post a very good guide!!
Speaking of which, is there a Samba guide in a sticky somewhere? If there isn't, this should be.

Actually, it's impossible to write a nice generic Samba guide since each distro is different unfortunately :(

Back