Help with Ram

SurgeRush

n00b
Just picked up this pc https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06318389 . Looking to upgrade the ram. It has 4 slots, 1 has a 16gp card in it. What are my best options for upgrading the RAM? I don't quite understand the ins and outs of the best way to set it up. It looks like it says it'll do 64gb, so I think I'd like to start by adding 1 more 16gb to the other Black slot, then eventually add 2 more 16gb to the red slots. Is this a good way to go about this, or is there something else I should know that I don't?

That's pretty much right, you can add another 16gb stick in the other ram slot that is the same color as the ram slot currently occupied.

Make sure you try and get the same speed, and if possible, make of ram.

Yeah take out the Ram see if you can match it up with a similar stick it's Hyper X DDR4 2600mhz.
If you can't do that you might need to buy a whole new kit that will match all the sticks.
16 gigs of Ram is pretty good for much anything out there I only have 32 gigs and that is overkill.
Ram is really sensitive to the type of Motherboard you have sometimes it works othertimes it will never work.
Crucial DDR4 sport sticks are really good for compatibility for both AMD and Intel systems.

Ok, so my next question would be that if 32gb is pretty much overkill, if I'm going to just max it at 32 instead of 64, am I better off going with 4 8gb cards instead of 2 16gb?

Ok, so my next question would be that if 32gb is pretty much overkill, if I'm going to just max it at 32 instead of 64, am I better off going with 4 8gb cards instead of 2 16gb?
It's dual channel so I would stick with 2 modules. It already has one 16GB in it, so no point in spending more money to convert it to all 8GB.

It's dual channel so I would stick with 2 modules. It already has one 16GB in it, so no point in spending more money to convert it to all 8GB.

It would still run in dual channel with four modules. The only reason to stick with two modules are if your overclocking your modules significantly or you are using factory overclocked RAM and want to achieve greater speeds than those specified by JEDEC specs. AMD systems can be extra fickle about using four modules, but Intel based systems are usually fine using four modules.

Attachments

• 15856886009611053233021279921249.jpg
    15856886009611053233021279921249.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm going to be using it for PC VR.

Seems your 16GB is much more than enough. I haven't tried VR yet but the following might help:

"The recommended onboard RAM for most games hovers around 8GB
and the same holds true for VR. The folks at Oculus recommend a minimum
of 8GB, and the general consensus online seems to match the advice given
by the VR developers. "

https://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/vrguide

It would still run in dual channel with four modules. The only reason to stick with two modules are if your overclocking your modules significantly or you are using factory overclocked RAM and want to achieve greater speeds than those specified by JEDEC specs. AMD systems can be extra fickle about using four modules, but Intel based systems are usually fine using four modules.
Right, my point was that since it came with 1 stick of 16GB that there is no point in spending money to make it 8GB.

Usually the OEM modules that come with these systems are terrible. They are cheap and often have terrible clock speeds and even worse latencies. I'd ditch the single stick and buy a dual channel 16GB or 32GB kit north of DDR4 3200MHz and call it a day.

Looks correct to me. I think you should be fine just adding this stick. You probably don't need the extra 16gb but at least you would be running in dual channel.

I don't know that it would be worth moving to anything faster on a prebuilt. You likely won't be able to set the RAM to any speed above 2666 anyways.

Actually, on an HP OMEN you probably can. Or at the very least, you can enable XMP which should take care of it. Prebuilts like that aren't as bad as they used to be in terms of neutering the BIOS.

I think there is a way to enable xmp with the omen command center, but the ram installed doesn't allow it. So I'd have to replace that ram too. How much of a difference would it make running in dual channel?

The site specs say
  • Supports PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) and PC4-19200 (DDR4-2400)

Does that mean it will not support 3200 if I wanted to go that route and replace both?

I think there is a way to enable xmp with the omen command center, but the ram installed doesn't allow it. So I'd have to replace that ram too. How much of a difference would it make running in dual channel?

Running in dual channel will be a pretty significant difference over single channel RAM.

OK, so I'm getting another 16gb to run in dual channel. Now I want to add another ssd, since it only came with a 256gb and I've seen quite a few people recommend vr games to go on the ssd instead of an hdd and I'm running out of space.

How do I know how many sata ports I have and what type of ssd I can use?

OK, so I'm getting another 16gb to run in dual channel. Now I want to add another ssd, since it only came with a 256gb and I've seen quite a few people recommend vr games to go on the ssd instead of an hdd and I'm running out of space.

How do I know how many sata ports I have and what type of ssd I can use?
most likely uses M2 type that plug into the board....would need a manual for the motherboard to be 100% of which m2 key fits (or some good pictures) In any case i would fill up the m2s first

OK, got it, so the M2 is currently being occupied by the 256gb, so I should be able to just add this to one of the top ports with a 2.5 in adapter correct? Will this work? Does anybody have a better recommendation instead of this?

Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1TB Internal Solid State Drive – 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/S for Computer Desktop PC Laptop (ZA1000CM10003) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPRJFV1/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_u4OLEb2QCRM94

Back