• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with Q6600 OC

Riccochet

[H] for Hours
2FA
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
33,431
I'd try reseating the cooler. 70+ at 3Ghz is a bit high for that cooler.
 
I just got a Q6600, Gigabyte 965P DS3 MB w/ Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. I OCed from 2.4 to 3GHZ but I fail OCCT everytime because my temps reach 70+. I idle at 43. I thought idle at 43 is pretty normal...so I dont know why it keeps failing when the CPU get stressed. Maybe my thermal paste isnt put on correctly?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
Doesn't make any sense to be running that hot. Are you certain the CPU fan is actually RUNNING? or is it not plugged in. If all that jazz is ok, did you make the mistake of taking off the stock thermal compound and not putting any new stuff on?
 
I just reapplied the thermal paste because i thought i had put too much. I also reseated the Freezer 7 Pro.

It didnt help at all. I still idle at around 42c and when running OCCT my temps reach 70 and it fails...should I get a new heatsink?
 
Perhaps, but for only 3GHz, I doubt it. Is the Q6600 a G0 or a B3?

If its a G0, it may be an issue with the motherboard or motherboard compatibility. My SLACR Q6600 is running at 3.4GHz entirely stable with the STOCK INTEL COOLER currently. vcore is set to auto, but is running about 1.41-1.43 (48-50C idle, 70C~ load), which makes me wonder if you are experiencing a bad setting rather than a bad heatsink.
 
Possibly a bad CPU all together. Poor contact between the cores and the IHS can cause unusually high temps.
 
My Q6600 is a G0. I managed to get it to 3.1GHZ and I've been running PRIME95 for the last 8 hrs with no problems. My temps are stable at around 58C.

Its just when I run OCCT, OCCT maxes my CPU to 100% usage and thats when my temps get to 70C. And my room is kind of hot, always around 30-31C ambient. Do any of you guys run OCCT? I used it with my old E6300 before I used prime because it only took 1/2 hr to determine stablility. Now the standard test takes an hour.

Also, is there a reason my Mobo CPU temperature readings are different than Speedfan, and Coretemps? On Idle my Mobo shows my CPU at 55C while speedfan and coretemps both show around 44C....I thinkit might have something to do witht he F14B bios I just flashed. Do any of you guys have a Gigabyte 965P DS3 Rev 1 board? Maybe someone can recommend me a Bios version.
 
See my sig, it includes the bios version. I have a similar setup and its been stable for me (until I added this damn X-Fi, now I've got a driver issue to resolve).
 
[H]ocusPocus;1033004243 said:
See my sig, it includes the bios version. I have a similar setup and its been stable for me (until I added this damn X-Fi, now I've got a driver issue to resolve).

What temps are you at idle and full load? Do you use OCCT?
 
I haven't used the Freezer 7 Pro but do have the Freezer 64 on an Athlon X2. It's a nice heatsink but it's really not the best for quad cores. That could be a part of your problem.

The heatsink or the heatspreader on the CPU or both may not be flat which is causing a bad mating surface between the two.

Also, running a quad on a 965P chipset, while works just fine in most cases, does put extra stress on the northbridge and it does heat up a bit more than it does with dual cores. The passive cooling of the northbridge on the motherboard you have isn't the best. You may want to look at adding some cooling to the northbridge as it really needs it. I have the same board which had an E6400@3.4Ghz and now has a Q6600@3.51Ghz and the northbridge likes to run hot even with a fan blowing air across it. It only got worse when I swapped the E6400 for the Q6600.

Another thing to keep in mind is the voltage of the processor. Did you raise the voltage at all to get to this speed? If not, this may not be a heat issue as much as a voltage issue. Keep in mind Gigabyte boards have pretty bad vdroop (I have two of them) and it gets worse as you increase the load on the processor. With the temps you are running, I wouldn't be increasing the voltage much, though.

 
Yea I know my DS3 board has NB heat issues. I havent put a fan over it, but you think that the NB overheating problem caused my CPU to get to 70c? Whats an acceptable temperature for a Q6600 at 100% load over an hour? Running Prime 95 my CPU is stable at around 55C but it never gets my CPU to 100% load, always around 30%.

So does anyone have any experience with OCCT?


I haven't used the Freezer 7 Pro but do have the Freezer 64 on an Athlon X2. It's a nice heatsink but it's really not the best for quad cores. That could be a part of your problem.

The heatsink or the heatspreader on the CPU or both may not be flat which is causing a bad mating surface between the two.

Also, running a quad on a 965P chipset, while works just fine in most cases, does put extra stress on the northbridge and it does heat up a bit more than it does with dual cores. The passive cooling of the northbridge on the motherboard you have isn't the best. You may want to look at adding some cooling to the northbridge as it really needs it. I have the same board which had an E6400@3.4Ghz and now has a Q6600@3.51Ghz and the northbridge likes to run hot even with a fan blowing air across it. It only got worse when I swapped the E6400 for the Q6600.

Another thing to keep in mind is the voltage of the processor. Did you raise the voltage at all to get to this speed? If not, this may not be a heat issue as much as a voltage issue. Keep in mind Gigabyte boards have pretty bad vdroop (I have two of them) and it gets worse as you increase the load on the processor. With the temps you are running, I wouldn't be increasing the voltage much, though.

 
What temps are you at idle and full load? Do you use OCCT?

I'm at work and I would have to check on temps. I backed off from 3.6 Ghz because it was too hot. I have not used OCCT. I used Prime95 for stability testing. I'll try to post temps l ater.
 
Yea I know my DS3 board has NB heat issues. I havent put a fan over it, but you think that the NB overheating problem caused my CPU to get to 70c? Whats an acceptable temperature for a Q6600 at 100% load over an hour? Running Prime 95 my CPU is stable at around 55C but it never gets my CPU to 100% load, always around 30%.

So does anyone have any experience with OCCT?

Wait, running Prime doesn't load out your CPU? Are you running an older version meant for single core procs? That's what it sounds like and Windows is compensating by distributing the load. Everytime I run Prime it maxes out my CPU usage.

You might want to download the latest version of Prime with quad-core support. Or download Intel BurnTest utility. The Intel app only take a matter of minutes to run and really stresses the CPU. Other than that I have no experience with OCCT.
 
Something that is easy to overlook (I did once)...

Go into your bios and check the "Smart Fan Control Method" setting. If its not set to "Legacy" then try setting it to that. Also make sure the "Smart Fan Control Mode" is set to PWM.

The default control method does not ramp fan speed aggressively enough for overclocking.
 
Using RealTemp 2.6 with TJMax set to the default "95" I get the following temps:

Idle: 43C on highest core, 37C on lowest
Load: 62C on highest core, 53C on lowest (peak values, average is about 2-3 degrees less)

Under load, distance to TJMax was typically between 35-42.

SpeedFan reports about 2200 rpm for my AC FP7.

Because I have been messing around with my X-Fi, I have the side open on the case. You can probably add a degree or two for a closed case.
 
I see you're using Core Temp. I have Core Temp 0.99. With the default TJMax set a "100" it consistently shows 5C higher than RealTemp (which of course is what it should do).
 
yea youre right, I was running an older version of PRIME...what a waste. The new version is maxing out my cores and i get to 70C in a few minutes and have to shut it off.

Right now I'm at 3.1GHZ with Vcore at 1.325 i and idle around 42C which is a pretty normal idle temperature...:confused::confused::confused:.

Tomorrow I'm going to under clock the cpu and if I still overheat then I know theres something wrong with my cooling and its not the CPU...

Also, cpu temperature in BIOS is 10C higher than speedfan, core temps and real temps...anyone know why???
 
At some point I intend to plop in a Bigwater 780e (with extra 120mm radiator/fan) to watercool my CPU only. By then I'll have the CPU lapped, and hope to hit 4GHz (managed to get the system to post at 4GHz @ 1.65v, but was too scared to attempt a boot considering I'm still using the pack-in Intel cooler xD)
 
So if I underclock the CPU to lets say 2.0GHZ and I still overheat, is that a CPU problem or a cooling problem? Keep in mind that my Idle temps are quite normal at 43C...
 
Change the CPU setting back to default as these settings should generate temps well within the Freezer Pro's ability to manage. Prime it and watch your temps. THEN you'll be able to better tell what your problem is.
 
So if I underclock the CPU to lets say 2.0GHZ and I still overheat, is that a CPU problem or a cooling problem? Keep in mind that my Idle temps are quite normal at 43C...

If you underclock and still have high temps with that cooler, which is more than capable of cooling that chip at stock to 3.2, then I'd say something is wrong with the CPU.
 
I have the same cooler/chip combo - my chip idles around 39c - ran prime for 8+ hours last night, came back and I was around 42-44c
 
I have underclocked it to 2.25GHz...at 100% load on OCCT its up to around 58C-60C...so is it the heatsink or the cpu????:confused::confused:

I had a E6300 stable at 2.5GHz with the AC freezer...I think Im going to try to pop that back in and see if I can get back to that number. If not then theres something off with my heatsink after all that mounting and remounting...
 
Back
Top