Help with PSU for SLi setup :)

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Morning all,

I realise there's a million and one threads like this but im hoping someone's got some input as its my first SLi setup so thanks for looking (and helping)

Basically im adding another 8800GTX to the comp in my sig. My Q6600 is OC'd to 3.4 if that makes a difference. I want the PSU Modular and with hopefully enough headroom for upgrades in GPU in the future.

Using the Extreme power supply calculator and it came up with around 700w on the safe side. So im thinking a 850w PSU is in order.

Should i just go for a Corsair HX850 that ive heard go things about or is that over kill for my system. Its fairly expensive here (UK) at £130 (around $206) and if i can get something just as good but cheaper then i'd go for it.

Others ive considered are the Seasonic M12D 850w and Antec TPQ-850w Mod which both look good too but are still expensive. Am i looking at the correct sort of range?

Currently im using a Tagan 600w with just 1 8800GTX and the OC and all seems fine but im putting this into my dad's comp as his 420w Tagan just blew up :rolleyes:

Any helps appreciated, cheers in advance.

Go for the 850HX then if you want modular

I'm pretty sure the HX850 is also manufactured by Seasonic and so it should be pretty similar to the M12D. Go for the cheaper one.

Also, my S12D (M12D without modular cabling) almost sounds fanless. They are GREAT power supplies with a great fan controller. You won't even know there's a fan unless you stick your hand above the grill.

Cheers for your input. Plumbed for the Corsair HX850 in the end, must of read through a hundred reviews of most 850w PSU's and although they all sound upto the job, the HX seemed to come out on top in most cases.

Ok ive installed the HX850 and everything seemed to go fine. Randomly i got a BSOD and reboot after Win 7 fully booted on the first power on. I didnt make out what it said on screen though. The second boot after changing nothing there was slight corruption for a few seconds on the bottom of my desktop picture then it went back to normal again. After a third reboot everything seems fine...played music, HD content, Dragons Age: Origins and worked normally for a few hours?

Very strange, could the initial BSOD just be the computer sorting itself out with the new PSU? Anyone else experienced something similar?

Cheers.

Back