• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help with new PSU

Why do you want to buy an OCZ PSU? Their products are mediocre.

I concur 100%. There's not a single OCZ PSU out of the 12 OCZ PSUs listed on Newegg that I would recommend for a demanding Core i7 950 + HD 6870 Crossfire setup. They're either too low quality, not enough power, too overpriced, or has some major QC issues.
 
Personally I would go with the seasonic x 750w at minimum since the 6870s are a little more power efficient, or go higher to be on the safe side.
 
I am not sure what qualifies as mediocre. :confused:

I have 2 of them in other PC's and they have been very good. No issues. So, it lends to experience with the brand. I don't really care what brand.

Why are they poor?
 
I am not sure what qualifies as mediocre. :confused:

I have 2 of them in other PC's and they have been very good. No issues. So, it lends to experience with the brand. I don't really care what brand.

Why are they poor?
They are generally cost-down models with cheap components, mediocre performance, mediocre efficiency, and average reliability. You can easily find something better. For your system, I recommend one of the following:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371022
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121077
 
when it says Crossfire ready. Does that mean it has 4 12v rails or 2 that you have to jumper to make work with 2 6870's?

I bought and was using a 700 PSU OCZ from 2 years ago that I thought was just a 500w.
It has 2 rails with 6 pin ends. But if you have 2 cards, you need 4, right?
 
Crossfire certification is really meaningless. All of the PSUs I suggested to you are perfectly capable of handling the components you listed in your first post.

Yes, you need four 6-pin connectors. Each card requires two.
 
i've never had problems with OCZ modxstream PSUs running a single video card, but I wouldn't recommend them if you want to go crossfire or SLI since they only have 2 PCI-E connectors. Get a nice corsair or seasonic.
 
Back
Top