help with new build problem please

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkns

n00b
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
24
Just recently put together a new computer with the part list below:

MSI 770-C45 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 3.0GHz Black Edition
G.Skill 2x 2GB DDR3 1600
Evga 9800 GTX+
OCZ 500w PSU

I am having a problem getting the computer to boot in to allow me to install any OS. For example, with Vista 64-bit and 32-bit it would get stuck in the intro animations before even loading the installing setup portion. I was, however, able to get the computer to boot into safe mode off the install disc. :confused:

I have tried removing each stick of memory and booting, clocking the memory down from 1600 to 1333 to 1066 to 800 (since I had read some information from people having fixed the problem doing that), I don't have any other memory to try nor do I have another PCI-e graphics card to replace the 9800 but from calling evga they assure me it seems like a memory issue or motherboard problem. Any insight is greatly appreciated and if there any more information needed to assist me I will try to provide as promptly as possible.
 
so it boots, but when you try to install Vista it freezes?
do you have a Linux live cd to test that PC?
 
What do you mean by "get stuck"?

Do note that occasionally, it may take a long time for Vista or Windows 7 to install.
 
By get stuck I mean it will show video at post, it'll show the windows vista "loading windows" screen with the logo then as soon as the animations are done and it's about to kick me to the setup screen to start the install the video goes black, the video card fan kicks into high gear, and nothing happens. It's almost like the motherboard freaks out when it comes time to go through the installation process. Once all this happens I can't even hold the power button on the front to turn the computer off I have to manually shut it off with the power switch on the PSU.

I have let it sit for a while to see if I just need to wait for vista and still no dice and unfortunately no I don't have a linux live cd.
 
What do you mean by "get stuck"?

Do note that occasionally, it may take a long time for Vista or Windows 7 to install.

Windows installation taking an hour or two is not uncommon. However, if it takes unduly long (say, 12 hours or even longer) to install, then there is likely a hardware conflict or compatibility issue somewhere in that rig.
 
Windows installation taking an hour or two is not uncommon. However, if it takes unduly long (say, 12 hours or even longer) to install, then there is likely a hardware conflict or compatibility issue somewhere in that rig.

Only if your running it on a very crappy computer. Upgrades can take even longer. Took me about 15-20 minutes for Windows 7 Pro for me.

Is your disc beat to hell?
 
Only if your running it on a very crappy computer. Upgrades can take even longer. Took me about 15-20 minutes for Windows 7 Pro for me.

Is your disc beat to hell?

Mine isn't (although I have never even attempted to install Windows Vista or 7 on such a shitty rig). And I did install 32-bit Windows 7 on an old Pentium 4 rig - and even that install took about 30 to 35 minutes.

My testing on three different LGA775 motherboards (from Asus, Intel and Gigabyte) running Core 2 processors indicated an issue between a SATA DVD drive and certain Asus motherboards (including the P5K that I used in the tests) in legacy mode: The "Loading Windows" and "Starting Up" screens would just sit there for as long as 20 minutes before the next screen appears. Neither of the other two LGA775 motherboards (nor did the P5K when used with a PATA DVD drive) took longer than a few seconds in those two instances.

To the OP:

Check the condition of your Windows install DVD disc. It could have been scratched to hell, or it could have had a lot of greasy fingerprints on the read side of the disc.
 
The disc is brand new no scratches nor fingerprints. With my problem it's not even sitting at the "Starting Up" screen it simply finishes starting up then start to proceed to the next screen but doesn't make it. That's when the grpahics card kicks into high gear and I have to just shut off the computer because it's non-responsive. I am heading home from work now to update the bios on the motherboard and try a couple of different fixes I have found from searching and just hoping for the best. :(
 
Was able to get it booting up and working by disabling the AMD cool and quiet feature in the bios. It's working well now. Thanks to anyone who tried to help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top