• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with Ncase M1 ATX -> ITX transfer?

thescatman

n00b
Joined
Aug 1, 2015
Messages
3
I have been able to get an NCase M1 V3 for super cheap, and want to transfer my current ATX R4 build to it.

  • I'm UK and am looking for the lowest budget, highest quality I can get away with.
  • I am absolutely fine with buying used parts.
  • With the case I'm getting a slim ODD and two Be Quiet! 120mm fans.
  • Current build is rather random as I swap out parts constantly as I run my own small PC building business.
  • Wanting to end up with a virtually silent build.
  • Max I want to pay is £220, but I will be selling off the parts that I swap out to offset costs.

I was thinking of having an H97/H87/H81 and losing my OC, since Z87/Z97 ITX motherboards are so expensive. Also want a decent 450W+ psu, and maybe the noctua l9.

Current Build
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yhtF6h
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5"
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W

New Build:
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3wXzrH
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 (£58.65 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular SFX PSU (£67.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NCase M1 V3 (£45.00)
Total: £206.44
 
With a 970, you can drop down to a 300W supply (the ST30SF happily runs my stock 980 and a Sandy Bridge Xeon with no issues). If you're skipping a Zxx board, you can sell the 4670K go for a cheaper non-K CPU.

But the biggest cost-saver would be to wait for Skylake's general release to flood the market with used 1150 boards and trigger stock clearances.
 
The STRIX 970 doesn't fit in the M1 without modding either the card or the case (removing one of the panel studs).
 
Are you sure you can't increase your budget? I mean it's odd that you're downgrading in quality from the Z87-A to the budget Asrock H81M.

Ditch that Noctua HSF and go with this Scythe HSF instead since its quieter and cools better. Therefore letting you get closer to your goal of "virtually silent":
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G1YXN6M/?tag=pcp0f-21

As for the PSU itself, that particular Silverstone PSU is actually way better than your current crappy Corsair PSU:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/#.Vb0-m_lViko

Compare that to how well the Silverstone 500W did:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=433

With that said, the JG review noted that the fan was questionable in quality. Which means that it could end up dying in a year or two or start producing a lot of noise. As such, I recommend a better and larger PSU to avoid that:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The STRIX 970 doesn't fit in the M1 without modding either the card or the case (removing one of the panel studs).
Necere how do you mean removing one of the panel studs? I asked the guy selling me the ncase and he doesn't know what you'd mean either. I might end up swapping the GPU for a reference if I can find one.
 
Necere how do you mean removing one of the panel studs? I asked the guy selling me the ncase and he doesn't know what you'd mean either. I might end up swapping the GPU for a reference if I can find one.
The card's PCB will run into one of the plastic clips and side panel stud. You can either cut a little piece out of the PCB, or remove the plastic clip and stud (not sure if the stud removal is 100% required though). See this post for an example of a mod to the card.
 
Back
Top