help with imaging system drive

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
So I am now the proud owner of a new 1TB Samsung 970 Evo plus nvme drive. I'd like this to be my new system drive but not sure how to go about this.

Fyi it will be going into a z170 board with a Skylake i5 6600k.

I currently have a Samsung 250gb drive as my system drive. I'd like to make an image of this and put that onto the new drive. This will save me a lot of hassle having to reinstall windows and get it set up to my liking. I just have never done this before....what software should I use? Preferably free software since I'll probably only do this once.

I'm using win10 home 64bit, is there anything built into windows worth using?

How would you guys go about this?

Wow thanks. Didn't know there was a Samsung specific tool. Merry Christmas to you!
No problem.

giphy.gif

i finally got home from the holidays last night and decided to start trying to install the new drive. so far not as easy as i would have expected. the M2 drive install itself was simple, working fine. the samsung data migration tool is ass...just gives non-descriptive failure messages at 99%. so that's out, but then i tried AOMEI and later Macrium. both have the same issue in that they are partitioning my new drive. the old one is a 250GB 850 EVO. the new one is a 1TB 970 EVO plus. when i make the clone, i get a 250GB partition on the 970 and the rest is unallocated space. i tried to extend the volume in win10 admin tools but it's refusing to do so.

i was hoping to simply copy my OS disk (the 250GB drive) to the 1TB drive and keep it as a 1TB....any ideas? i'm beating my head against the wall here.

Ok got it figured out. Ended up being macrium to the rescue. Changed the partition size during the clone, just didn't know how to do that.

Thanks for the previous help!

My current one is what looks like a small recovery drive has appeared. Probably part of the clone process. Normally this would be hidden. Not sure what to do with it as it doesn't seem to appear in the windows disk management tool.

i finally got home from the holidays last night and decided to start trying to install the new drive. so far not as easy as i would have expected. the M2 drive install itself was simple, working fine. the samsung data migration tool is ass...just gives non-descriptive failure messages at 99%.

and others

disable the antivirus software it samsung copy tool seems to trigger the Write boot protection silently in some antivirus software (as it happens at the end its the last thing that samsung software does is write the boot information) happened to me as well once i disable the antivirus it finished the clone second time round

and others

disable the antivirus software it samsung copy tool seems to trigger the Write boot protection silently in some antivirus software (as it happens at the end its the last thing that samsung software does is write the boot information) happened to me as well once i disable the antivirus it finished the clone second time round

All I'm using is windows defender. Maybe there was some other software in the way or possibly windows defender itself. Didn't think to disable it.

Either way, got it done with macrium. The extra drive that appeared was a windows 10 bug, just disabled it with diskpart and all good now.

Back