Help with Eyefinity Set-up!

TechBoy

2[H]4U
I am going to pick up 3 20" monitors and wanted to know what would I need to set it up for Eyefinity? The monitor is a 20" 1600x900 16:9, has a DVI-D and VGA ports. basically what type of adapter would I need for the third monitor?

I am going to pick up 3 20" monitors and wanted to know what would I need to set it up for Eyefinity? The monitor is a 20" 1600x900 16:9, has a DVI-D and VGA ports. basically what type of adapter would I need for the third monitor?

For best quality you need a DP->DVI adapter costing $100 or so, plug it into one of the DVI ports on one of the monitors.

If you don't mind less quality, you can pay $20-30 for a DP->VGA adapter (all of them are active). The downside is the analog signal and the limitation of up to 1920x1200x3, but you aren't Eyefinitying 30" monitors so that point is moot. I use the Sapphire one listed on Newegg and can vouch for that one. The others I can't vouch for but you can read comments about them on Newegg and elsewhere. Whatever you do don't get an adapter that is one piece of metal/plastic, as that may block off other ports. Get adapters with cables.

Get the VGA Active adapter. Most people can not tell the difference in games as there is little to no difference. If you are doing photo editing on a static image it would probably be wise to get an active DVI adapter.

When I tired a passive adapter it only worked up to 1680x1050. YMMV.

You need an active adapter for three screens.

Again, passive...need active.

Get the VGA Active adapter. Most people can not tell the difference in games as there is little to no difference. If you are doing photo editing on a static image it would probably be wise to get an active DVI adapter.

If memory serves me correctly even the tiny DP->VGA adapters are active and cost about $30. ATI/AMD will not validate them so YMMV but some people have had success.

If it were up to me just go with the $100 active DP->DVI adapters and be done with it.

You MUST have an active adapter. I helped my girl friend set up her Eyefinity, she runs 3 20' monitors, the one she got was $100

You need an active adapter for three screens.

Again, passive...need active.

If memory serves me correctly even the tiny DP->VGA adapters are active and cost about $30. ATI/AMD will not validate them so YMMV but some people have had success.

If it were up to me just go with the $100 active DP->DVI adapters and be done with it.

DP only has digital outputs. since VGA is analog only, you have to convert digital->analog aka active adapter, that sells around $20

active DP->DVI usually requires a power source(eg USB cable for power), and sells around $100

Hang on, just had a thought...

If you don't actually have the three 20" monitors yet...why not get 20" monitors that have DisplayPort so you can forget about the adapter?

Hang on, just had a thought...

If you don't actually have the three 20" monitors yet...why not get 20" monitors that have DisplayPort so you can forget about the adapter?

I can't find any that has one thats at a B&M store around me. Everything is HDMI, DVI or VGA. I have a frys and microcenter near me. If you can point me to a monitor that has on that would be awesome. I was going to buy 3 20" because they were 109 each. But I can also buy 2 24" if they have display port since I already have a 24" I currently use. Oldie which adapter do you use right now?

Oldie which adapter do you use right now?

The accell, see a few posts up for the link. It's on my kids system now, he's 8 and has a 4800x1200 eyefinity rig. :D

I can't find any that has one thats at a B&M store around me. Everything is HDMI, DVI or VGA. I have a frys and microcenter near me. If you can point me to a monitor that has on that would be awesome. I was going to buy 3 20" because they were 109 each. But I can also buy 2 24" if they have display port since I already have a 24" I currently use. Oldie which adapter do you use right now?

dell often has deals for good and cheap DP 22" or relatively more expensive non-TN panels with DP for $200+

No it would not, again it's passive. Your quest for a cheap adapter is not going to happen unless something new has come out I'm not aware of. I've seen them go for $80ish in FS/FT now and then but that's about it.

agree with STOP TRYING to find a <$80 new active DP->DVI adapter...

The accell, see a few posts up for the link. It's on my kids system now, he's 8 and has a 4800x1200 eyefinity rig. :D

can you adopt me? :D

Yea I know Dell does. I want to buy one at a b&m so I can return if needed and I can use it right away because my semester starts back on the 30th and when that happens I'll be too busy to do anything. I'm willing to pay more for one at a B&M though. But I'll see what happens.

A lot of mis information here. Active does not mean you have to have a usb connector for power for VGA. Check the approved list below here and DO get an active if you want to do 1920 *1200 for sure. SOME have said they have a used a passive for 1680*1050 just don't gamble and be safe for the future get an active. I have an Accell B101B-003B(active, no USBcable attached to it). Be sure you have firmware 1.01 or higher(firmware can not be changed on these) it is on a white label on the cable. It works fine for 1920*1200. They are about $30 at Frys may be cheaper online.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Wait till the 30th for an announcement about lower priced single link adapter.

You must have an ACTIVE adapter.

All DP->VGA adapters are active but are analog and only go up to 1920x1200x3. On the plus side, they only cost $20-30.

Some DP->DVI adapters are active and they cost $100 or so.

The NON-active DP->DVI adapters are useless for Eyefinity.

There may be an active single-link DP->DVI adapter that goes up to 1920x1200x3 for less than you'd pay for a DP->VGA adapter, as Kyle just posted. I haven't heard of such a thing, and if I had, I would have gotten it instead of my DP->VGA adapter.

You don't need one of the expensive dual-link active adapters. This new single-link active adapter from Powercolor is what you need:

Active DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI-D Adapter

It's only new so I haven't been able to source one myself yet but it is what I will get (when I figure out how to connect this to 5970 with its Mini-DisplayPort connector)

It's only new so I haven't been able to source one myself yet but it is what I will get (when I figure out how to connect this to 5970 with its Mini-DisplayPort connector)

The HD5970 comes with a MiniDP-->DP adaptor.

ok I am totally confused now, ATI validates passive adapters on their website for Eyefinity.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

I am only looking to go to 1920x1200 res for the adapter and ATI validates one from ACCELL that is single link passive?

You know what, if I were you I'd just sit tight for now, because Kyle posted yesterday that something is going to change soon to help the dongle situation: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036105770&postcount=3

Buy a couple of these, that's what I did. They have DP. http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-U2410-24in...1146?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item2a09c3762a

You just need to be patient on eBay and the bargains will come to you.
I got three of these for about 225 each by just waiting for the right deal.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Save yourself a headache and buy a single large screen. If you must try eyefinity then shop at a place with at least 30 days return policy, so you can return your monitors if you decide eyefinity is not for you. I only recommend going triple monitor if you are into flight simulators or looking for desktop productivity. Before the flame starts please note I am a eyefinity user myself.

I have read lots of trouble of crossfire in eyefinity , but nvidia in SLi in surround have not read many people having monitor issues.

I have read lots of trouble of crossfire in eyefinity , but nvidia in SLi in surround have not read many people having monitor issues.

Other than suspicious scaling using Crossfire, I have not had one problem with EyeFinity since day one.

But....nvidia Surround was easier to set up, from my experience.:D

Back