Help with dust?

Dougjwjr

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a solution to my dust problem. My antec 900 case is a dust magnet, and if I dont clean it out every 1-2 weeks I'm worried the fans will clog up. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep dust from getting inside without hampering air flow too much?

I'm also interested in replacing the 120mm fans I have, if that helps. I havnt looked at fans too much, but I'll leave that out there. It's running stock fans now.

(that said, I dont know whether I want the side fan intake of exhaust. suggestions?)

Hmm, just though, this might be better placed in cases and case modding. My bad.

Last edited:
Fans have to do with cooling, so it fits here, most people post in here when it comes to fans anyway, so it's all good.

#1. You will want positive air pressure, meaning more CFM going in, than going out, if not, then you will have unfiltered air being pulled in from all the small cracks etc and adding to the dust problem.

#2. Get better filters or a better filter for your A/C and/or pick up the PC if it's on the floor, even if it's only a few inches off the floor (think stand or casters), believe it or not that can have a large impact.

#3. Better fans...Those can help out when adding better (more restrictive) filters, most of the time I suggest Slipstreams, but with heavy filters and depending on the set up might not be the best choice. So, I always go for the GT fans if price allows, if not, you can save a few bucks and get the Kama-Flex fans.

Wile all these can help, you still might end up cleaning out the PC often, like myself, I live on a dirt road, so even with all good filters etc, I still clean it out once a week.

i have seen cases with 1/4" thick dust deposits....... and the only indication of dust was that the case felt a little heavier..... if you havn't already i would suggest fan filters and keeping positive air pressure inside the case to prevent dust from getting sucked in...

I dont currently have any filters. I have... 2 120mm intake, 1 120mm exhaust, 1 200mm exhaust, so, the other should be intake?

I dont currently have any filters. I have... 2 120mm intake, 1 120mm exhaust, 1 200mm exhaust, so, the other should be intake?

With the 200mm fan being exhaust you are probably running negative air pressure, so yes, any other fans should be intake, but this only works IF you have filters in place.

Wrap your fans in pantyhose. It will stop dust from getting in, but wont really help the cleaning situation. 1-2 weeks = clogged? Maybe vacuum your house more?

I wouldnt say clogged, but I certainly dont like the amount of dust that gets in there. I should mention I have 3 cats which certainly dont help. I find them often laying near my computer or on my desk as well because it's warmer =\ been trying to get them to stop, but when I'm not here they often come in.

It's been about a month since last time I cleaned it, I'll get a couple pictures up to show..

I believe getting something to sit it on would help a lot as well.

Dude go to home depot to the HVAC department. Buy a 3M filter cloth. Cut it to the size bigger then your case fan and attach it to your case. You are done it will keep 90% of the dust out. It works really well and it solves your dust problem.

Good advice above. All works to help some but as one or two mentioned there is no good solution until you eliminate the dust to start with. Otherwise it is clean the filters constantly or blow out the PC until the end of time. The overpressure will keep the dust out of the smaller cracks and make cleaning easier.

You really need to attack the problem at it root cause, see what you can do to get rid of the dust before it gets in your PC. I too used to live on a dirt road liek one of the posters above and it was a battle I could not win but I could keep it under control.

Some hints.

1) yes, per above, get it off the floor, the higher the better.
2) vacume the piss out of the floor with a clean bag/filter and at least once a week thereafter. Or damp mop if not carpet. It only take a couple of min to do one room, do it !!! Buy your own mop and pail if you have too.
3) see if you can seal up the computer room from the rest of the house. Even lay a towel or something along the crack at the bottom of the door if possible.
4) House AC/Furnace filters replaced regularly, spring the cash for the better quality ones or get a good one that can be washed, The el-cheapo filters are just that, cheap and dont capture as much of the fine dust as they should and it gets blown all through out the house.
5) window AC if applicable so computer room windows are never opened. Or rig up a filter to fit in the open window or over any fans in the windows.
6) put a small or medium sized box fan in the room, tape a good furnace air filter to it and run it all the time on low or medium. The idea is to let that grab airbone dust before it gets to the PC. Make it a habit to clean that filter every couple of days.

you get the idea, you did not give us details on your room or what your climate is. Be inventive. The point I am trying to make is you need to work on killing the dust before it gets to the PC. But no matter what, it is going to be a pain.

Back