Help with buying a gpu

4LC4PON3

DERP!
I have been put of pc gaming for awhile and could use some help. I got laid off last year so my buddy helped me get a pc up and running

Specs below

Ryzen 1600 (older AE)
DDR4 3200 16gb
Corsair cx650m
Asus x370 pro
Rx560 4gb

Here is my question i want to start saving to buy a new GPU. I am currently using a 32 inch 1080p

I have been considering a 2070 super or 5700xt. I do plan on going with a 3600 down the road buy not now. The rx560 is terrible

Will it be a huge bottleneck and shpuld i look at something else

i think your CPU is the btotle neck if you get any of those card? .. 1060? 1660?

I think you'd find that you're over GPU'd with a 2070S. It's not so much that you'd be CPU bound (you probably would be, just a little) with the 1600 as that, with only a 1080P display, there just isn't so much rendering to be done that you need a card that powerful, unless it's a really high refresh display.

They just announced price drops on the 2060 (and maybe also 2060S?). I think that's what I'd go with for 1080P at this point, and it would be probably still be more than you need.

If you're just itching for an upgrade, especially if cost is a major factor to you, you might consider a used RX580 or 590, both of which are still enough for 1080P gaming, and available for pretty cheap in abundance on the used market.

If you care to watch this video it would show that like what RazorWind said the RX 580 is your best choice for now at 1080p and keeping the cpu .. $85 would get you closer to 2600 but the AE can't be to far away if you can get the memory to really run at 3200Mhz.. Last time I had my AE in on a newer AGESA 1004 bios it was running a lot faster then before so if you can get to 2933Mhz that would be generation 2 memory speed support as 3200Mhz was generation 3 support .

thanks for the video and reply's. I will check out the video. so far i have only been able to hit 2666 with my x370 and ryzen 1600. I tried setting DOCP which put my ram at 3200 but i kept getting crashes. I also tried 3000 and 2933 and could not boot. 2666 booted perfect but i have not played with it from their to see if i could get any higher..

Money is sort of an issue right now only because my job just cut my hours again to 21.5 so this is why im researching now and what I will have to save for a GPU. I am in the process of applying for better jobs currently.

I understand and why I said that .. MSI boards have Gaming boost which is an ( easy button) and last I remember overclocked my 1600 AE to 3.9ghz all cores but I know noting about Asus boards .. you can flash your mother board bios as my Ryzen 3600 would not take the OLOy 3600Mhz memory because it had a release date of Nov 2019 and I needed AGESA 1004 Beta B to run them and now even my 1600 AF runs that memory at 3333Mhz 24/7 at 1.35 v .. you have an x370 so Asus should have something for you I would think ..

Also RX 570 rises eye lids compared to an RX 560

I appreciate everything. I did find a webpage a biddy of mine sent to me gpucheck and it did show that the Ryzen 1600 vs a 3600 with a 2070 did bottleneck where the 3600 obviously had much higher FPS. I also did a comparison with both cpus with the 5700xt and same result. their is a bottleneck with the 1600 compared to a newer 3600 and I already knew that. I def want to go with a better GPU because I do plan to upgrade my CPU down the road.

After my layoff i lost everything so when i got a new job everything was going good but then all of a sudden they started really cutting hours severely. 2019 was terrible but i want to make 2020 better and i really want to build a nice gaming PC this year.

So, you got laid off last year and lost everything so a buddy helped you (gave you) a gaming PC but now you're working part time 20 hrs/week and you decided now would be a good time to spend a chunk of cash upgrading your gaming PC ...

Am I understanding you correctly?

A used 580/590 8gb is the best price/perf value for your situation. Far better then dealing with the ram speed issue.

So, you got laid off last year and lost everything so a buddy helped you (gave you) a gaming PC but now you're working part time 20 hrs/week and you decided now would be a good time to spend a chunk of cash upgrading your gaming PC ...

Am I understanding you correctly?

Correct but im not dropping any money currently. im going to put some money aside every week until i have enough to buy a GPU. I am in the interview process at a couple new jobs that are fulltime much better pay. Im only getting an idea of what to buy that goes well with a Ryzen 1600

plus taxes are just around the corner

Correct but im not dropping any money currently. im going to put some money aside every week until i have enough to buy a GPU. I am in the interview process at a couple new jobs that are fulltime much better pay. Im only getting an idea of what to buy that goes well with a Ryzen 1600

plus taxes are just around the corner
Establish an emergency fund with 6 months of income in it, get your retirement set up, and then worry about wasting money on video cards.

I would suggest saving what you can, there will be deals or better bang for the buck solutions when you get there. Btw if you were to pull the trigger now a used 580 or even 570 will double you 560, a 980ti, 1070 1660ti or even 2060 will double that. Cards above that class may nose dive when next gen cards come out, but the 5700 or 1080ti class cards are still really close to a 2070. Also different game engines are more cpu dependent so try to look at benchmarks for the games you want to play.

I actually think the 560 is a great pair with the Ryzen 1600. Especially at 1080p. What kinds of problems are you having with it? That 560 should do great on pretty much everything @ 1080.

Back