• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with build for mom

Corban227

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
956
So im visiting my mom and looking at her computer and just realized that her computer is very old and slow lol

The computer has a 2Ghz AMD Athlon XP-2400
1.5 gigs of ram
and onboard videocard.

no it serves her purposes for the most part but im noticing that it is starting to run very slow. takes about 5-10 minutes to boot up, and will randomly freeze. Its a compaq computer, and the fan can get slightly loud when running (i think cause its old) shes not ready this week to get one but i think i can convince her to buy one (or build one) within the next week. im leaning more towards buying one so she can have a warranty and tech support for it when im not around.

Basic uses for the computer are word processing, browsing the internet. Sometimes shell watch videos and when my sister is home she will play a game or two and use flash heavy site but nothing major or big.

budget is as cheap as possible, and would defiantly like her to have a faster computer than this one.
 
You don't want to consider a prebuilt computer?

yes thats what i said in my post above, that i am leaning towards a prebuilt computer (i usually say buying one, if im referring to a prebuilt comp). and lol about build it right.
 
im leaning more towards buying one so she can have a warranty and tech support for it when im not around.

You don't want to consider a prebuilt computer?
See above.

Build it right that way she won't need tech support :D
But if you build it and anything goes wrong, then you will be her expected tech support. And that includes when she gets a virus/malware.

I would totally say go for a prebuilt. Then you have a perfect excuse... anything you do might void her warranty. :eek:
 
yes thats what i said in my post above, that i am leaning towards a prebuilt computer (i usually say buying one, if im referring to a prebuilt comp). and lol about build it right.

Whoops, sorry didn't read well. :D
 
See above.


But if you build it and anything goes wrong, then you will be her expected tech support. And that includes when she gets a virus/malware.

I would totally say go for a prebuilt. Then you have a perfect excuse... anything you do might void her warranty. :eek:

roflcopter. nice excuse. well what prebuild would you guys recommend then?
 
since the XP is still doing what she needs its obvious alot of power isnt needed. So if it were me I would build a Dual Core atom with 4gb ram & windows 7. Would be snappy for all day to day things and run cool & reliable.

I Built something similar for my grandmother a few months ago & spent 419 bucks with a 19" lcd and all peripherals (but I used ubuntu so I didn't have to buy an OS)
 
i would recommend a laptop as well. once she starts using it she will probably love the portability. make sure to get something with a big enough screen and a full size keyboard though. :)
 
since the XP is still doing what she needs its obvious alot of power isnt needed. So if it were me I would build a Dual Core atom with 4gb ram & windows 7. Would be snappy for all day to day things and run cool & reliable.

I Built something similar for my grandmother a few months ago & spent 419 bucks with a 19" lcd and all peripherals (but I used ubuntu so I didn't have to buy an OS)

But is it worth building a system if the OP is unable/unwilling to serve as "customer support" for his mom?
 
But is it worth building a system if the OP is unable/unwilling to serve as "customer support" for his mom?

LMAO.. Thats what I thought last time I had my mom buy a prebuilt system.. In the end I ended up still being customer support, except I had no ideal of what hardware was actually in the system.
 
hi OP,
Since some posts suggested pre-built, I put in 2 thoughts

1. Vostro 230 MT E5400/160GB-DISK/2GB-RAM/W7HP/17"LCD/energysmart/MSOffice2010-Starter-- USD 414
2. Inspiron 570 MT Athlon II 2.8GHz/500GB-Disk/4GB/W7HP/No-monitor/MSOffice2010-Starter --USD 380

Note :
Vostro 230 I believe is on G41-chipset-no-AHCI. but Vostro usually gives you Windows OS DVD
Inspiron 570 has AHCI support. but the entire new Inspiron-line now usually expects you to run special program to burn OS-DVD using your own media for backup purpose, or else burn to a 8GB-USB-Pendrive. The image takes about 5.7GB

also : Inspiron 560 well worth considering for low-cost pre-built. G43-chipset.

Dell standard dual-core pre-built usually are very quiet so can put anywhere in home without complaint. However, those monster quad-core chassis XPS models are more noisy.

Consider searching Dell US outlet refurbished store. Sometimes they have gems hidden there. If you ever thought of getting bargain PowerEdge server from outlet, beware of the noise issue for home use.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
I think the key to not having to deal with them when they have problems is to go for Windows 7, even if they are not familiar with it, just toss them into it. Much safer and more intuitive that xp and you will have alot less "omg my browser search is redirecting me" calls.

That being said, I built computers for most of my immediate family and yeah I've had to deal with some tech support but its not a big deal at all, in fact its usually something simple. But a premade is the way to go if you really don't want to ever have to deal with it.
 
lol yea i think id end up being support anyways also, but i dont mind a whole lots. biggest deal is that im not close to make it easy. i guess i could use some type of computer sharing program if need be.

im thinking of leaning towards an inspiron without a monitor. ill defiantly look for a refurbished system also to save costs.

thanks for the help
 
lol yea i think id end up being support anyways also, but i dont mind a whole lots. biggest deal is that im not close to make it easy. i guess i could use some type of computer sharing program if need be.

im thinking of leaning towards an inspiron without a monitor. ill defiantly look for a refurbished system also to save costs.

thanks for the help

Its easier then you would think.. Setup a adress here & make sure to install & setup there app on her computer.. THen install a free VNC client & configure for remote access via password.. Then whenever you need to you can log in from home. This is what I Did for my grandma's computer because I dont want to drive the 30 miles to her house.. & to make it even more trick I have a VNC client for my phone so I can log into her computer from my phone anywhere.
 
Also check gotapex.com for "vostro" deals. The current deal right now is:

# $459 after $286 instant savings. Dell Vostro 230 mini tower computer with Dell's 20" E2010H flat panel display, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 with VT processor, 2GB DDR3 SDRAM memory, 250GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive, DVDROM, Trend Micro Internet Security 15 month license, Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit and a 1 year next business day warranty service. DELL VOSTRO 230 MINI TOWER COMPUTER WITH 20 INCH FLAT PANEL MONITOR DEAL
If you dont need the monitor, sell it. ;)
 
Back
Top