• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with Budget Build

StockDC2

n00b
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
16
Hey guys, I've been on the forums for quite some time now (I can't seem to login to any of my other accounts though) so I've decided to start fresh. I'm building a new computer for my post-college needs and have come up with the following parts but before I list them, I'll go ahead and answer the mandatory questions.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Racing simulations - G27, taking a stab at video editing and photoshop. Web browsing and using Excel is also on this list.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Let's say right around $200 but lower the better. Please see below as to why this figure is so low.

3) Where do you live?
Seattle, WA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Power supply, HD, possibly other things depending on what you guys think about the parts I've already purchased.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
i3 540
Gigabyte H55M-S2H (Fry's Combo = $100 AR)
CM Hyper 212+ ($26 Shipped)
CM 690 or Antec 900 (CM = $45 AR, Antec = $50 AR)
Galaxy 9800GT 512MB ($30 AR?)
4GB Corsair DDR3 PC1600 ($63 AR)

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, I'll be trying to get to 4Ghz.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Acer H223H

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Basic amenities

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 Professional (or is it Ultimate?) thanks to school

What do you guys think about the parts that I already have? I can still return most of the parts (everything except the video card). I've been collecting parts this past week but haven't found any good deals on a PS or HDD. I was thinking about the Samsung F3 ($55 = Newegg) and the Corsair TX750W ($90 AR). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, I do have a new Thermaltake TR2 430W lying around but I don't want to be cutting it too close. If it'll be sufficient for my needs though, I'll by all means use it.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't even use the TR2 430W for an office PC let alone an overclocked gaming PC.

If you're really big on rebates, then, yeah the parts you have so far are fine. Go with the CM 690. Waaay better case than the Antec 900. It's more roomier, easier to cable manage, and cools virtually the same as the Antec 900.

If you can find the EA430 430W for $29 or the EA500 500W for $35 or so at Staples, either of those PSUs would be a good choice. However if you can't get in on those deals, the 750TX at $90AR is a decent deal.

HDD wise, the Samsung F3 500GB or the Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB drives are both good choices.
 
I know the following is off topic, but are you considering buying a better video card soon? Playing racing games (of any kind) on a 1920x1080 resolution using a 9800GT just seems wrong to me.
 
I think I'm going to go with the F3. Unfortunately, there aren't any EA430W or EA500W power supplies at any Staples stores in my area. I might just wait around until a PS deal pops up on Slickdeals.

I was actually thinking about selling the 9800GT and stepping up to something along the lines of a 5770. I'm really not trying to spend too much money right now though because of some business ideas that are running around in my head. I might even return the G27 that I have and not play any racing games all together but we'll just have to see until the build gets finished.

Btw, thanks for all of your guys' ideas and suggestions.
 
I might just wait around until a PS deal pops up on Slickdeals.

Don't get any OCZ PSU. Most of the the PSU deals I've seen popped up on Slickdeals.net are OCZ PSUs that are of pretty low quality. So yeah, keep that in mind.
 
If you don't want to wait for a PSU deal, I can sell you one of the EA500's I picked up from Staples. $35.50 + $3.50 tax + $10 USPS Priority Flat Rate = $49 shipped.
 
Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to wait around until I first decide on my graphics card. I've been lurking around the For Sale part of the forum and have been seeing GTX 280s for pretty cheap in which case I will be wanting to run a stronger PS.
 
Back
Top