Help with boot problems.

FourPlay

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, recently I rebuilt my computer because I was having issues with CPU temps. I also bought a antec 920 to install when I rebuilt it. Ever since I did this I have been having booting problems.
The computer only has these problems when it has been turned off overnight, whereas if I just turn it off, then back on 5 minutes later, it will boot with no problems. This made me think that the CMOS/BIOS battery might be faulty, so I replaced that and it didn't fix it.
So with that possibility eliminated, I thought maybe it wont start because the fans are lacking RPM, so I disabled the smart fan option and still it wouldn't work.
The ONLY way I can get this thing to work, is to take out the CMOS/BIOS battery and reseat it after waiting a few minutes. Having to do this every morning is a PITA. After reseating the battery and booting, it is stable and doesn't crash or bluescreen.
At this stage I am thinking maybe the motherboard is faulty. This has me stumped, because everything runs without a hitch when I finally get it working. I would be grateful for any help or pointers on this subject.

System specs: (everything at stock clocks)

Gigabyte G1 Guerrilla
i7 960 3.2ghz
6GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Asus 560TI
WD 1tb HDD

Have you tried running that PC with whatever cooler you were using before?

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, if anyone else has any recommendations feel free to post em.

Okay so that did't change anything. I was going to take it apart and test the PSU on another build, just to eliminate that as being faulty. I pretty much had to take the whole computer apart to get the psu out, so I thought Imay as well put it together on a cardboard box and see if it starts, and it started first go without a problem. I'm not sure what this means though. Maybe shorting out while it was in the case, but why did reseating the battery make it work?? This is strange, and I'm not sure if I should put it all back in the case or not.

I'd say use it a little bit more out in the open to make sure it's working fine. Then do a visual inspection of your components (any strange scratches on the mobo, bent stuff?) and carefully put it back in the case checking to see if any strange contacts are being made where they shouldn't.

Have you used this case before? If the case hasn't giving you any problems, then at this point, I would say something is wrong with the grounding on the mobo and to get a new one.

Another thing to check is any new bios firmware updates, never know what those might fix.

I used it in the open for over a day, and my booting problem was not happening. I put it back in the case carefully making sure there are no spots where it will short out, and it still won't boot. I had let it sit for nearly 5 hours, and I booted it and it worked, then I let it sit for 9 hours and it refused to boot. I will try updating the bios some time. At this point I am thinking of just leaving it on untill it shits itself.

Back