• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with an upgrade decision

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 29, 2000
Messages
11,057
Ok, My current specs is the
E8400
4 gig ram
etc

I have been looking at a new video card. I have a 4870 in there now.


But I am now thinking that maybe a new MB, CPU and RAM might be a better choice..

I can throw maybe 400 bucks total into it. What would you upgrade with that amount of money?

Or maybe not upgrade at all...I do play some games. Like Dragon Age 2 type games.

I do some video encoding as well so that I can transfer movies to my nook...

So advice?
 
need more info. Please answer the stickies first.

Wrong subforum there hossdaddy :)


Jodan, it would help if you answered the following questions:

3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
 
Wrong subforum there hossdaddy :)


Jodan, it would help if you answered the following questions:

3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

I live in olathe. Kansas

I am looking at a new mb, cpu, and ram

I will reuse the rest. So only three parts above are being replaced

My psi is a coolermaster 1200 watt silent pro series


No overclocking

My monitor is a 28" running at 1920x1280

Looking to get parts now

For the motherboard my big requirement is that is has at least 8 sata ports
 
$360 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU + Asus P8P67 Intel P67 ATX Motherboard Combo
$41 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
--
Total: $404 plus tax and shipping

That mobo is the cheapest socket LGA 1155 mobo that I could find that had 8 SATA ports.
 
$360 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU + Asus P8P67 Intel P67 ATX Motherboard Combo
$41 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
--
Total: $404 plus tax and shipping

That mobo is the cheapest socket LGA 1155 mobo that I could find that had 8 SATA ports.


And I would assume then that this option would be a much better performance option than my current E8400?
 
Figured I would chime in here

Danny helped me with my upgrade choice before a few months ago, hes a good person to follow for advice

I have a E7400 and had a GeForce 6800 series.

After much debate, I decided to upgrade the card to a Radeon HD 6850

Things seemed more fluid, but it was still missing an oomph for me on the upgrade

So I plan on now getting a 2500k, new motherboard, and new RAM which will probably do the oomph I was looking for back then.
 
Back
Top