Help with a PC Upgrade

otimus

Weaksauce
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=18388586

I'm thinking about upgrading most of the components in my PC

(My Current PC = E8400, a decent enough motherboard, 2GB DDR2, a 9800GTX+, a fairly crummy PSU)

Anyways, from that wish list, is there anything I should add/remove/change?
Anything I could do to cut costs (Considering, for example, I have no plans on ever overclocking)?

Thanks for your help!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
In the general range of $700. As close to or below $700 if at all possible. $800 at most, but I'd really like to stick close to $700.

3) Where do you live?
America

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, Motherboard, Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Power Supply, Video card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
The case, PCI Sound card, and two other SATA Hard drives

6) Will you be overclocking?
No, I will not be overclocking

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24", 1920x1080 Resolution

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
I don't really need anything particular except at least the ability to use my PCI Soundcard (I've noticed some boards don't have PCI)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I do. Windows 7 64-bit.

Ok lets switch a few things out:
PSU - Never go with Rosewill for a PSU. This Antec is far higher quality and cheaper after MIR.
HDD - Better HDD IMO
CPU - 2400 is the best option if not overclocking
MB - No need for a P67 due to no overclocking, so you can get a cheaper board - Looked for a H67, but didn't find anything with a good price on USB 3.0/SATA III

Total = $697.93 with the parts I did not take out.

I see you updated your list. Do you no longer need another HDD? I recommend junking the 2500K/Z68 as you will not even be using most the features offered by either. There isn't a major difference in the 2400 or 2500K if you are not planning on overclocking.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks! That's about the right price I really want to be at, too!

3) Where do you live?
America

Me too! And I hear there's a few hundred millon other people with us!

But you, unlike me, might live close to a Microcenter, in which case you should take advantage of their very good CPU and motherboard deals. Also, let us know if Newegg collects sales tax in your state.

What case do you have?

Also, if you don't live by a Microcenter, and would like USB 3 and SATA 6 and all that fun stuff that comes with the H67 chipset, look at:

$280 - Intel Core i5-2400 AND Intel BOXDH67BLB3 AND some free software

I agree with xBanzai's hard drive and psu suggestions, but they could change once I find out about your Microcenter status and what case you have.

For a GPU consider a Radeon 6870, 4 to 8GB of RAM, and $20 for a DVD burner. Again, this could change once I get an answer to the questions, but it looks like $700 (or near it) is doable.

Edit: The GeForce GTX 560Ti is better. Assuming you don't need a new case (cooling recommendations have changed in the past few years though so might want to leave some room for one) you're all set with xBanzai's suggestions.

This is the case I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Newegg doesn't collect Tax in my state.

and I don't live near a microcenter :'(

As stock, that Centurion 5 case is ill-suited to anything modern due to its single 80mm fan in the front of the case. This fan does not provide anywhere near sufficient air circulation. Couple this with a 120mm rear fan, and you have a case with poorly balanced airflow (the exhaust is far stronger than the intake, resulting in poor air circulation, relatively high case and internal temperatures and excessive dust collection all at once). You will need to be really adept at metalwork just to increase and optimize airflow in that case. Worst of all, that case is one of the more cramped Cooler Master cases - with absolutely no cable management features at all whatsoever.

As such, you're looking at a new case.

Last edited:
You're probably good to go. My biggest concern is if the GPU will actually fit in the case. If you'd like to get something that will be good to go, take a look at the $67 (including shipping) Cooler Master HAF 912.

Hm.... thanks. I'll probably wind up having to get another case then :(

That posted case seems nice enough.

Thanks again for all the help, folks!

Your GPU may fit but you should do your homework -- otherwise you may end up with a bunch of parts and then having to order a new case and waiting for it to come.

Hm.... thanks. I'll probably wind up having to get another case then :(

That posted case seems nice enough.

Thanks again for all the help, folks!

That case of yours has about a 10.5 inch space for video cards. A GTX 560 Ti is about 9 inches, so you should be clear.

I concur with E4g1e: That Coolermaster Centurion 5 isn't suitable enough for a modern rig unless everything was super low powered. The Coolermaster HAF 912 is a good case but as E4g1e pointed out, it's a bit overpriced at $68 shipped.

Here's a list of other cases to look at:
$65 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-60FN ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7FN ATX Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$120 - Fractal Design Arc Mini Tower

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for those links! I went on ahead and bought the first case on that list, $65 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case, had a newegg new customer coupon code that got me $10 off on it, too, so it was only $55.

Thanks for those links! I went on ahead and bought the first case on that list, $65 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case, had a newegg new customer coupon code that got me $10 off on it, too, so it was only $55.

Excellent choice.

Back