Help with a new build. Mostly for WoW

wooster241

Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
851
Hey my current laptop is getting a little dated now that it's 5 years old, so I figured it's time to get back into building my own desktop.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly using as an everyday rig for media/gaming/web browsing. I raid regularly in WoW so something that can run it on ultra settings with good fps.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Looking to spend <$800 shipped

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
PA, US

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case- I'll probably wait until there is a good rebate deal on one of them before purchasing
Mobo
CPU
RAM
HDD
PSU
Vid card
CD/DVD reader/burner

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Brand new build

6) Will you be overclocking?
Probably, since I'm thinking about the 2500k

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Looking to be buying a new 20-23" LCD

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next two weeks I plan to buy the parts

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Don't plan on using crossfire/sli. USB 3.0 would be nice with Sata. Onboard video is not needed.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Will be receiving windows 7 box from a friend. So 32 or 64 bit possibilities.
 
Does the new LCD have to be included within your $800 budget?

Are you within an hour's drive from a brick-and-mortar Micro Center store?

Which version of Windows 7 are you receiving? 32- or 64-bit?
 
Does the new LCD have to be included within your $800 budget?

Are you within an hour's drive from a brick-and-mortar Micro Center store?

Which version of Windows 7 are you receiving? 32- or 64-bit?

The closest microcenter is about two hours from me.
The 800$ does not include the w7 or lcd.
Also I think the w7 comes with both versions but im thinking 64 bit
 
Please come back in a week and bump up this thread as we'll know what Newegg's September combo deals will be available by then. A lot of our build lists uses Newegg combo deals to save you money. So unless you don't want save money, then I recommend bumping up this thread in a week.
 
Well looking at the Labor Day deals on newegg, I'm going to pick up one of those 20" Acers.

I'm pretty set on getting a NZXT Vulcan, with this psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17075X740592Xb8ead087ec464d2f15e6b19c7f853321
Also getting a 1tb sata drive with it from a member on here.

That being said, I'm looking for some mATX mobo recommendations. Also what does everyone think about the Gskill ram in the labor day sale? 8gb for 49.99
Or just go with the 29.99 elite?
 
, with this psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17075X740592Xb8ead087ec464d2f15e6b19c7f853321
Also getting a 1tb sata drive with it from a member on here.
Wait, so you're getting the HDD and PSU used?
That being said, I'm looking for some mATX mobo recommendations.
September Combo deals aren't out yet. It's still August. A good majority of our build recommendations tends to be based off Newegg's CPU + mobo combo deals.
Also what does everyone think about the Gskill ram in the labor day sale? 8gb for 49.99
Or just go with the 29.99 elite?
Well the $30 Elite RAM is OOS. Sooo that only leaves the G.Skill.
 
The hdd and psu have been tested/used for review purposes aparantly.
Do you see a problem with going mATX? I only plan on having a video card and a pci wireless card so space would not be an issue.

I know WoW uses a lot of cpu power compared to that of a video card, but my guild has started 25 man's so I guess i'd like to focus on still being able to atleast run on high settings while raiding.
 
The hdd and psu have been tested/used for review purposes aparantly.
Well do note that you do not get warranty if you buy those parts used.

Do you see a problem with going mATX? I only plan on having a video card and a pci wireless card so space would not be an issue.

None really besides a really ugly looking case IMO.
 
No problems with mATX.

Also consider this G.Skill that was in today's email:

$40 (use promo code EMCKAKJ22) - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
 
Thanks. Will probably be ordering my monitor and that RAM today. Still planning on the Vulcan and toughpower psu as well so ill bump this once the new combo deals are released
 
Figured the new deals should be out by now... Didn't see any 2500k combo's unfortunately and it seems like the best way is to get the cpu from a microcenter store since its just $180. The i7 deals look nice but too expensive anyways.

I have two days off from work so this is all I'm planning to really do, I'd like to have all my parts ordered by the end of the week

Looking at this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...11-Latest-_-IntelMotherboards-_-13131786-L02A



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-090211-Latest-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231277-L0A
 
Have you already purchased anything? If so, what's the new budget after buying those parts?

Due note that you'll see no performance increase when going with DDR3 1600 RAM over DDR3 1333 RAM. So I recommend at least 8Gb with a WoW setup if you plan on using multiple clients, otherwise stick with your 4Gb capacity but get 1 x 4Gb as you're limiting yourself to future upgrades. You can get DDR3 1333 in a 1 x 4Gb setup for around $20. Sandy Bridge CPUs do not require overclocking the RAM to overclock the CPU, so do not worry about getting faster RAM just to OC the 2500k.
 
NewEgg's better combo deals will come after the Labor Day sales end.

If you want to overclock, you have two options: a tower-based air-based CPU cooler, like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, or a self-contained water cooling CPU block, like the Corsair H60. If you're insisting on a microATX setup, then I recommend the H60.

The board you chose is fine (go with tonytnnt's recommendation on the RAM), but our video card recommendations will be largely based on your monitor choice and its native resolution. Besides WoW, what games will you play?
 
I've purchased a toughpower 775w psu, NZXT vulcan and my hard drive. Will be sticking with just that drive for now, and I will upgrade the pc with an SSD shortly.
Unfortunately I purchased the acer lcd two days before that other deal for the HannsG.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EMC-083011-Index-_-LCDMonitors-_-24009256-L0D

So that being said I can actually still spend about 600, or even a little more for the CPU/MOBO/RAM/Vid card. I was thinking 8gb of RAM but talking to my friend he said he didn't think I'd need it, yet you can never have too much :p.
As for other games, I play Black ops, and just started playing some Oblivion with my buddies
 
Well wait for the September combo deals to roll out after the holiday. We should be able to set you up with a 2500k and motherboard for relatively cheap to fit in your budget. Since WoW is CPU intensive, I highly recommend going no less than the 2500k.

8Gb is over kill, unless you run multiple clients then I do believe the extra RAM will benefit you there. Otherwise, 4Gb will be plenty. Just make sure it's DDR3 1333 and 1.5v.

Video card I'd recommend no less than a 560 Ti or 6950.
 
Well, I went to the i5 2500k combo deals and theres no combo deals with mATX deals. I'll look to see if theres anything else for around the same performance
 
Unfortunately this month, Newegg doesn't have too many good budget CPU + mobo combo deals. With that said, mobo prices are a little lower than normal so that should make up for it:
$220 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
$123 - Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Intel Z68 mATX Motherboard
$45 - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$185 - XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E Video Card + Deux Ex: Human Revolution
-----
Total: $573 plus tax and shipping.

At your relatively low resolution, the HD 6870 should be more than enough. However if you're feeling spendy, want to go overkill within reason, and/or run multiple WOW clients, I recommend this:
$250 - XFX HD-695X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB PCI-E Video Card + Deux Ex: Human Revolution

RAM is cheap. So definitely get 8GB of RAM now while it's really really cheap.
 
Yea was kinda bummed out by the lack of combos. I saw the closest Microcenter is like an hour and 30 min from me so I might be making a trip there to save 40$ on the cpu. Might also be able to get some better deals for going to the actual store on other parts as well.
I know they have the motherboard for $115, and 99$ after rebate.

I'm kinda confused though with the motherboard. Says it has the PCI i need for my wireless card but when I look at the picture it definitely doesn't have a slot that will work for it.
EDIT: On newegg it is correct in saying there are 3 pci-e slots, on the MC site it just says two with one regular PCI. I'll need to find another board.
 
Yea was kinda bummed out by the lack of combos. I saw the closest Microcenter is like an hour and 30 min from me so I might be making a trip there to save 40$ on the cpu. Might also be able to get some better deals for going to the actual store on other parts as well. I know they have the motherboard for $115, and 99$ after rebate.
Rethink that: That's a 3 hour round trip + gas + local taxes + time in the store. Does going through all of that justify saving $47?

I'm kinda confused though with the motherboard. Says it has the PCI i need for my wireless card but when I look at the picture it definitely doesn't have a slot that will work for it.
EDIT: On newegg it is correct in saying there are 3 pci-e slots, on the MC site it just says two with one regular PCI. I'll need to find another board.

Wait, are you reusing a PCI Wifi card or getting a new PCI Wifi card?
 
I mean I'm sure they are cheap enough I could just get a new one, but the one I currently have is regular PCI. Its a Netgear PCI card, model WG311v3.

And yeah I was thinking about the driving costs, so thats why I was looking if they had any other deals before I commited to that. Didn't see much that would make the trip worth it
 
I mean I'm sure they are cheap enough I could just get a new one, but the one I currently have is regular PCI. Its a Netgear PCI card, model WG311v3.

And yeah I was thinking about the driving costs, so thats why I was looking if they had any other deals before I commited to that. Didn't see much that would make the trip worth it

I suggest getting this WiFi card if you can fit it in your budget.

$28 - Asus PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter
 
I mean I'm sure they are cheap enough I could just get a new one, but the one I currently have is regular PCI. Its a Netgear PCI card, model WG311v3.

Yeah best get a new one because the next mATX Z68 overclocking capable mobo with PCI will cost you an additional $25. That $25 can better spent on a newer wifi card:
$28 - Asus PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter

EDIT: Skillz beat me to it this time :D
 
Sweet thanks again for all your help! I'll probably order these components tomorrow (later today). Just have to decide if I want to drop the extra dough on the 6950 :p
 
Back
Top