~HELP~ Winrar Woes. HD too small for extracting to TEMP folder!

Sharp4600

Limp Gawd
:(
Okay I got some big rar files ( +2 GB), and my C: on this computer is 6.2 GB with only 1gb free hdd space.
So when I extract it, it goes to my C:\Documents and Settings\Darryl\Local Settings\Temp
Is there anyway to change it from always going to that temp folder?
I've gone through the Winrar options to paths tab -> Folder for temporary files is set to E:/Temp
But that doesn't seem to change anything, it always goes to the Local Settings/Temp, and I watch my hard disk ( C:\ ) go critically low on disk space. :(
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I would prefer a work around, or even alternative software that would do what I told it to.

Darryl

Comp Specs are:
Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD 2500 XP-M
DFI NFII Ultra B
C: 6.2 GB (windows drive)
D:160 GB
E: 200 GB

place file where you want it (and will fit)
RClick on it > extract here

Also, you should be able to open winace and go in to the settings and change the default path to whatever you want.

Ice Czar said:
place file where you want it (and will fit)
RClick on it > extract here
If you always use WinRar this way, it's not a problem. Get a bigger C drive too. Why not just ditch the tiny little drive and use the two bigger ones?

I just love shell integration
well if its something I actually use alot

Instead of moving the file to another drive, I would just "right click drag" the file to the folder on the other drive you want it to extract to and then release the icon. It should give you the option to extract it there or in a directory with the same name as the file. I've also found it's usually quicker to decompress the file this way since it reads from one physical disk and writes to another. Otherwise it's reading and writing to the same disk which takes longer.

Also, I agree with another poster that you should ditch the small 6 gig drive or maybe use it as a download drive. Partition off about 10 or 20 gig from one of the other drives and use it as your OS drive while leaving the remainder as another partition for storage. That 6 gig drive is seriously slowing down your system since you are using it as an OS drive. It's probably 5400 RPM and 512k cache. I don't know if I could handle that anymore except for an old Win98/DOS box. Even my PIII 600 system has a 20 gig 7200 RPM 2 meg cache drive for the OS.

Back