HELP! Video card overheating, Maybe?

andrewglass25

Weaksauce
I've built plenty of cpus for myself and my latest build I built about 3-4 years ago. Never had any problems with it whatsoever. I leave my computer on ALOT and decided to turn it off 2 nights ago. The next day I went to play APB as usual and about 5-10 minutes in game I get a freeze and crash. Happened 3 times. I reseated my video card and cleaned it off and it was fine. I come on tonight and it starts again. I clean my computer out regularly and did it about 2-3 weeks ago and I haven't installed anything knew. I don't notice any FPS drop or anything all the sudden BAM and crash/freeze. I haven't tried any other games

processor: q9450
mobo: ASUS rampage
video card: BFG 280GTX
ram- 8 gigs corsair

I have 3 HDs and maybe a 850 or so watt PSU.

My case has about 7 fans, All running fine.

Attached is a picture of the crash I get. When I reboot my computer it runs like normal.

Thanks for the help!

http://i.imgur.com/lJFAV.jpg

EDIT- When it crashes the sound freezes if I leave my computer on my monitor loses connection with the video card then if I feel my video card It's so hot I can hardly hold my hand on it but the fan is still spinning like normal on it. Also I do NO overclocking whatsoever. When I look in my nvidia options the cooling is on 14% and automatic, Should I crank it up? I never really watched my GPU temps before but last night I was playing full load after it started working at 75-80 C

Last edited:
Give us specifics on the power supply. What's the brand and model? How old is it?

Since you give the impression that you can adjust the GPU fan speed, push it to 100% for a few minutes.

corsair 750W TX power supply 2-3 years old. I just looked at newegg, I ordering everything back in 08. Never had any problems with anything

I pushed it to 80% I'm not crashing ATM. It was weird though yesterday after I took my GPU out and cleaned it all out and reseated it it ran fine.

Last edited:
Ah that old problem, my 260's do that occasionally, I uninstall the display drivers completely, run driversweep, then re-install the drivers, and put the fans up to at least 60%.

You could try the driver uninstall routine I mentioned and see if that helps, if it doesn't you could be brave and see about re-applying the thermal paste on the GPU, or if your warranty is still good, you could get it replaced.

Ah that old problem, my 260's do that occasionally, I uninstall the display drivers completely, run driversweep, then re-install the drivers, and put the fans up to at least 60%.

You could try the driver uninstall routine I mentioned and see if that helps, if it doesn't you could be brave and see about re-applying the thermal paste on the GPU, or if your warranty is still good, you could get it replaced.

I have a lifetime warrenty because I have a BFG. Thats why I got it so I decided to check that out but apartently they stopped selling GPU's and don't warrenty items anymore. Sweet.

I put my fans on 70-80% and I'll see what it does. I hadn't updated my drivers for a few months then this randomly started so I don't know if that would be it. I did get the latest drivers after it happened last night but that didn't do much. After reseating my GPU it stoped and I was fine last night but then it started again

Have you confirmed if it's heat? Cause my first impression after seeing your JPG was the V-RAM is going bad.

Shouldnt be in issue as far as warranty... Call them up they prob have one to send u somewere... If they dont have one to send you theyre warranty has to be insured by someone.. In wich case u might get refunded for the.card or.something

Have you confirmed if it's heat? Cause my first impression after seeing your JPG was the V-RAM is going bad.

Well it's so hot I can hardly touch it but I turned the videoc ard fan speed up and haven't had any problems so far but no I'm not totally sure.

Shouldnt be in issue as far as warranty... Call them up they prob have one to send u somewere... If they dont have one to send you theyre warranty has to be insured by someone.. In wich case u might get refunded for the.card or.something

If you google BFG and warranties people were getting letters from them where they were refusing to warranty video cards.

Ok I don't think it's a overheating issue but maybe it is. I turned my fan speed up on my VC manually and I'm still getting this issue. The weird thing is I'm getting it like once a night but I can play for hours fine then all the sudden BOOM crash. Also I hadn't played any other games and I got duke nukem and decided to play and got it during that game now. In the games I play it's not crashing as I run around or do whatever it's usually during heavier scenes like shooting or action going on which would be a heavier load on the computer. I have a 7950GT which is my old video card. I may try to plug that in and play and see if I get it then to know if it's something else or not.

I know someone said it could be my VRAM, Which I assume is my video card ram? That seems like a real possibility but I assume the only way to fix that is a replacement of the video card.

Yes VRAM means video card RAM.

Try the older card and see what happens.

I am not sure if its the psu or gpu :\ Like Danny_bui said try another card but if it doesnt stress the psu like the bfg 280 does it may not tell us anything.

Does it only crash during gaming? Can you look up the psu output in the bios and tell us what the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rail or rails are putting out?

Ok I don't think it's a overheating issue but maybe it is. I turned my fan speed up on my VC manually and I'm still getting this issue. The weird thing is I'm getting it like once a night but I can play for hours fine then all the sudden BOOM crash. Also I hadn't played any other games and I got duke nukem and decided to play and got it during that game now. In the games I play it's not crashing as I run around or do whatever it's usually during heavier scenes like shooting or action going on which would be a heavier load on the computer. I have a 7950GT which is my old video card. I may try to plug that in and play and see if I get it then to know if it's something else or not.

I know someone said it could be my VRAM, Which I assume is my video card ram? That seems like a real possibility but I assume the only way to fix that is a replacement of the video card.
IF you can narrow this issue down to the video card, AND IF there is no way to get it replaced under warranty, so in other words all other options are gone, then you may want to try baking it. No, I'm not kidding. See here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792
Worked for me with an 8800GTS 640.

I hope to god this is it but I'm not sure. It all started after I installed another hard drive, Which I had remove afterwords. I started pulling everything out of my computer again and reseating and cleaning everything out for the 3rd time. I noticed on my video card, in the back of it you plug a 6 pin connector from the PSU. Mine has a 4 pin connector you add a 2 pin connector to. The 2 part pin was unplugged which I may of hit and did when I put the HD in. So thus instead of 6 pins from the PSU it only had 4. I Hope this was it, I will keep playing and if it crashes again I'll put my old VC in and go from there

=x

yha the power connector would make sense... if that isn't it try to reinstall drivers... a can of air may not be a bad idea either, that pesky dust goes everywhere!

I think at this point I'm just going to upgrade my whole computer.( I KNOW I DONT NEED TO) but before this I was thinking about doing it anyway.

oh man, that seems awfully drastic. Your system seems very capable. Maybe you should start with a new gpu and or psu. At least you can spread the cost out.

Have you oc'd that Q9450? Forgive me if you answered this already but did you run memtest86+ to test the ram?

Back