Help to revive a dead Geforce Titan / reference 780ti

formula409

Limp Gawd
I have a Titan that a friend gave me a few weeks back. It has been working till today when a APW7142 SRBC fried. I decide i would order another and fix the card which does power up but will not post.

Upon further inspection i found that a SMD resistor and capacitor was missing directly on the other side of the blown part. I can see with a magnifying glass that the SMD's were missing and could see where they ripped away from the solder on the board.

I found that the reference 780Ti has the same circuit.

In the image provided i have a picture of a reference Titan board and in the marked cyan boxes the SMD's that should be on my board but are now missing.

If there is a person out there that has a Titan or reference 780ti and a meter, could you measure the values of the capacitor and the resistor for me so i can make a repair?

Thanks

GtxTitanVmodBackDetail2.jpg

How can they be measured while installed ...
that is on the backside of the card, so a Titan or a reference 780ti without a backplate will have that portion exposed. using a multi meter placed between the points of the SMD resistor and capacitor will give the results.

that is on the backside of the card, so a Titan or a reference 780ti without a backplate will have that portion exposed. using a multi meter placed between the points of the SMD resistor and capacitor will give the results.

But, it's in a network of electrical connections ... you need to isolate the component to take an accurate reading, no?

But, it's in a network of electrical connections ... you need to isolate the component to take an accurate reading, no?

Voltage components. I just need a resistor value and a capacitance value of the two SMD's in the Cyan box which can be measured between the ends of each SMD.

This just seems like asking for trouble. Take it to the Geek Squad.

I'd be worried about xorbe's point. It is highly unlikely you'd only be measuring the cap or resistor. Some kind of resistance or capacitance will be in parallel with it...

First thing I would have done was see if your friend could help you with an RMA.

This just seems like asking for trouble. Take it to the Geek Squad.

You do not take Video cards to Geek Squad to be repaired. It is not asking for trouble. I have fixed quite a few dead video cards and have soldered my fair share of SMD's. I just need the resistor and capacitor values of the missing SMD's.

I'd be surprised if the Geek Squad guys knew what SMD and trimpot meant tbh.

OP: you're asking a lot from someone as one side of each component needs to be unsoldered/lifted to properly measure. Think I'll keep my Titan "as is" thanks!

OP: you're asking a lot from someone as one side of each component needs to be unsoldered/lifted to properly measure. Think I'll keep my Titan "as is" thanks!

Not asking anyone to de solder anything.. I need some measurement on card.. from there i can get a direction.

This is not my first rodeo. Not my first repair of a video card and so on.

If someone can take a few minutes to throw a Titan or 780Ti on a meter and measure the two SMD's in question, that would be a huge help.

GtxTitanVmodBackDetail3.jpg

Back