Help/Thoughts on best monitor for both color accurate video editing + gaming

dsc106

n00b
My needs / wants:

• IPS Monitor with great color accuracy and uniformity for pro video editing. 100% sRGB/Rec.709. Not needed: Adobe RGB (no photos, not utilized for video color grading); 10-bit (no workstation card/SDI input - running from a GTX 1080 TI). Do not need super high end as it is not for broadcast or cinema projection.
  • Decent response time and refresh rate (~5ms, 60hz should suffice for gaming)
  • If possible, G-Sync would be great for games, but I recognize there are very limited options here
  • 1440p or 4K - the debate here is still active. Mostly worried about 4K being too much to push for gaming even with my 1080 TI.
  • I have an X-Rite i1 DisplayPro that I will use to calibrate monitors
  • I currently have and will keep 2x 2008-2010 model 24" Apple LED Cinema Displays - OK to mix and match? Also, perhaps keeping this will allow me the good color monitoring option as well and make the color accuracy on my main screen slightly less important?

My top choices and thoughts:

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-SYNC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017EVR2VM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Seems like a quality IPS panel. Better than the PB278Q? Not as high end as the ProArt or other serious, but could be workable for the video editing/coloring needs described, while giving a single monitor solution that is also excellent for gaming?

ASUS 32 " 4K ProArt Monitor [PA328Q]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YWD9ZZM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Higher quality IPS panel than the G-Sync model, but how much better? This would give a great 4K option for work, and could also be nice for gaming, but I would forego G-Sync. Not that G-Sync is as relevant when pushing 4K resolution, anyway, but this could be an excellent all around solution, extra good for work too, if I am willing to leave g-sync behind and can process 4K fast enough for gaming...

BenQ 27 inch 2K Photographer Monitor (SW2700PT)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012UNOCJY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This would be considered if the 27" IPS Asus G-Sync wouldn't be good enough for my color needs or unformity. Then, I could spring here and forego g-sync, but still only push 1440p to give lots of speed at 60ghz v-sync for games without stretching the GPU too thin. The loss of 32" 4K might not matter too much for work. Would this be a better all-around solution/compromise than the PG279Q?

ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB278Q-...F8&qid=1500935287&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+pb278q

For $380, this is a great deal and gives me a nice upgrade for both gaming and work at 1440p 27", matte finish, decent all-arounder. How does color quality and uniformity compare to the newer G-Sync PG279Q? I have read conflicting things in that it might be better, or it might be worse. If it is worse, it would make sense to just get the newer G-Sync PG279Q. However if it is better for work, and this much cheaper, perhaps it would be the best all around compromise, especially given that I have the ancillary Apple CInema Displays to monitor color on as well?

OTHER 4K OPTIONS:

If I do opt for the 4K compromise (ie ideal for work, compromise on gaming w/no G-sync and stretching the GPU thin with UHD resolution), these are two more alternative options to the ASUS:

HP M2D46A8DreamColor Z32x Professional 31.5'' Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0150OS23C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AN8LN2YPKS7DF&psc=1

Dell 4k UP3216Q 31.5" Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016IBVKNU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Would one of these be better than the Asus ProArt 4K monitor, as an all arounder (considering work AND gaming), if I do opt for a 4K monitor w/out G-Sync?

Some other thoughts in general:

I have been fine with 60hz and no G-Sync all these years, I could continue to be fine. But I do hear it's pretty amazing once you switch over, so I am tempted by the 27" Asus IPS PG279Q, assuming the compromise in color accuracy and uniformity isn't too great (I would still have my 2008-2010 24" LED Apple Cinema Displays as my 2x side screens).

However, the temptation to a big, beautiful 4K display for work (that could also work decently well for gaming) is appealing for the daily grind, especially if it's going to net me a lot better color accuracy, too. Torn here...

How do the Apple Cinema Displays stack up? Ok to mix and match? If I color calibrate them and use one as a full screen video display in conjunction with a decent middle monitor, then perhaps a top-notch middle display color accuracy is important but not as vital? Afterall, the main screen would mostly be the timeline/sequence. with full screen video being outputted to the side Apple Cinema Display

It seems like there may be a lot of monitor improvements in the coming years, ie Wide Gamut Rec.2020 and DCI-P3 Colour Spaces, G-Sync 4K with great IPS panels, etc. Perhaps it's best to get something good for now, and really spring for the big bucks, no compromises splurge in a 2-3 years when a GTX 2080 TI can easily power a G-Sync 4K monitor with superb IPS panel and full Rec.2020 color space?

Finally, a possible 3rd option, would be to just get one of each: The 27" Asus G-Sync PG279Q and a 32" 4K pro color monitor. Though at almost $2,000 to swing that, plus feeling slightly wasteful about wasting one of my already owned 2x 24" Apple Cinema Displays. I'd put this down my list of ideal options as it seems excessive and wasteful. Not to mention really starts to stretch the budget (though technically feasible).

Thanks for the help!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you need it now, well, color accuracy isn't a perfect thing- unless you need the color in real life to match the color of the print, and if you're not shooting medium format for museums, magazines, or million-dollar-plus auctions, you don't, you can compromise on perfect color and get a decent gaming display with an IPS/VA/even a good TN panel.

If you don't need it now, wait. Things like HDR and Rec.2020 support are still halfassed at best unless you're spending E-Class prices on reference monitors on what's available today.

And I will say this: on the Predator in my sig, color looks pretty good next to the ZR30W I used before it, and >120Hz with G-Sync is a revelation.

predator did pretty well on color test on the TFT central review

The IPS-paneled versions tend to, my 27" version calibrates really, really well, though that's my opinion as TFTC only reviewed the model before it (main difference being the older round stand versus the newer red 'blade' legs, that I can tell).

Back