Help: Smoothwall reduces upload speed 50%

brom42

2[H]4U
My old netgear router has become flaky, so I decided to use smoothwall on an old pc instead of getting another router. Heres the problem, when I am hooked up through my netgear router I get a connection speed of atleast 1200/210 kbps every single time I test it. As soon as I run everything through the smoothwall machine, my u/l speed drops to around 95 kbps. I plugged everything back into the old router, and it goes back to over 200. The weird thing is that there is no effect at all on my d/l speeds.

I have varified all the settings and even have reinstalled smoothwall a couple of times to try to fix it, but I have run out of ideas. Help!!

Smoothwall system:
500mhz P3
128mb ram
30 gig hdd
3 3com 905B-TX 10/100 PCI NICs
Smoothwall Express 2.0 with all patches applied

I have a 1.5/256 ADSL connection with a Westell Modem.

omega-x said:
check QOS settings

Agreed. Since you are able to get a connection, and it's just slow, it's definately something with Smoothwall. QoS can be a godsend when you need it, and a pain when you don't.

I installed IPCop on the machine, had the same problem. I enabled Traffic shaping and problem fixed. It turns out I even like it better than smoothwall. Having the blue zone is nice.

Case Closed. :cool:

Back