HELP! Server File Recovery Needed

Ok in short here is the issue:

Shadow Volume Copy is not working
Previous Versions is not working

Our Backup for Workgroups 4.4 backup files are bad

Any Software you guys are aware of that will recover files on a Windows server 2008?

Issue stems from the fact that a user felt the need to delete a 48GB folder.

Bad backups? Ouch. Do you have any backups at all that you could restore to? If this data is crucial and you have no other copy of it, pull that disk offline right away to prevent writes to it and attempt data recovery software. Ontrack is pretty decent.

I have used Easeus Data Recovery Professional before for servers and it seems to work well (though is a bit pricy). Like /usr/home stated get that disk offline ASAP to prevent writing over your lost data.

When you say your backups are bad do you mean that they can't restore, or can't even be opened?

Ouch. Is this a raid or a single disk? Raid will make things harder to recover. Depending how critical this is, I would maybe even consider a professional recovery company. Though, you'll be down for a while...

Sucks that a user can do something stupid like that and ruin your day, and somehow the blame will go on you. Hopefully you can sort this out, good luck!

If it's just that the user completely deleted a folder, I've used GetDataBack NTFS (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm) the interface is a little hokey, but it's always worked great for me.

Sucks that a user can do something stupid like that and ruin your day, and somehow the blame will go on you. Hopefully you can sort this out, good luck!

LOL, we just had a user who was "trying to format a backup tape before use" who accidentally formatted their data partition which housed most of their software, including backupexec and Exchange installation as well as it's information stores. Getting Exchange to reinstall was a bitch. Plus they're at a remote office so we had to redownload backupexec (5+GB) and Exchange 07 (also 5+GB). This girl ruined our whole week.

I'll let you know my thoughts on the Easeus product tomorrow.

A customer's machine bought the farm and he had no backup. Drive says it has no partitions, no data, nothing. (Checked on 2 systems with 2 different cables, etc etc).

If it does the trick, I'll update. If it doesn't. You'll see a picture of a .45 hole in a WD 320GB :p

If it's just that the user completely deleted a folder, I've used GetDataBack NTFS (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm) the interface is a little hokey, but it's always worked great for me.

LOL, we just had a user who was "trying to format a backup tape before use" who accidentally formatted their data partition which housed most of their software, including backupexec and Exchange installation as well as it's information stores. Getting Exchange to reinstall was a bitch. Plus they're at a remote office so we had to redownload backupexec (5+GB) and Exchange 07 (also 5+GB). This girl ruined our whole week.

Wow brutal!

One thing I realized, I love working with servers and other IT stuff. I HATE working with users or dealing with them. But without users, you would not really have the IT stuff either. It's an evil cycle!

Always always always, 2 seperate types of backup, in 2 different ways, and one should always be offsite. Best security there is. we did local to a large SAN, and then tape backups of mission critical off to iron mountain every single week. Last time we crashed it took about 6 hours to restore everything cause we had lots of good backups.

Wow brutal!

One thing I realized, I love working with servers and other IT stuff. I HATE working with users or dealing with them. But without users, you would not really have the IT stuff either. It's an evil cycle!

I'm not allowed to work with end users anymore because apparently one time I made one cry (no joke, I wasn't trying to be mean, she asked me what was wrong with the PC, I told her, and apparently the crushing blow of it being her fault was too much for her according to my boss). But yes working with everything EXCEPT end users is great.

I've used Active @ Undelete to great success to recover a local business' Quickbooks database. What I loved about it was that it can do a raw block copy to a local disk, then you can start trying to do the recovery from the copy. That way you don't get to sweat about trying some of the more advanced/risky recovery techniques. If there is a problem you just recopy the drive. Or if you are really clever you make a second copy before trying something dangerous :D

Back