Help Rebuilding My Wireless Media Network

practal

Gawd
I setup up my first wireless network last summer and have became very unsatisfied with performance. Looking for some help on either fixing what I have or suggestions on better hardware. Being my first outing, I went cheap and Im fairly certain I got what I paid for.

My Current Media Server:
Intel e8500
Biostar P45
8GB RAM
Samsung 640GB for OS | WD 750GB GP + 6x1.5TB Seagates For Media

This server plugs in from the integrated NIC into an Encore Wireless N router. Media content is then streamed to 3 other pcs and my laptop. Im using 2 Encore wireless N USB dongles and 1 encore pci wireless N card in the 3 pcs. My notebook is a Dell Studio with the stock Intel wireless N mini pcie card.

My pcs are all fairly close to each other, furthest is maybe 40 feet from the router. The router is in the second story of my home and the pcs downstairs. The 3 pcs get anywhere from 3MBs to 7MBs transfer rate from the server. My laptop is the quickest with an average transfer rate of 9MBs. Even outside, which is much further then 40 feet, my notebook transfers faster then any of the other pcs.

Streaming to one pc works great but once I start on 2+ I run into stuttering and audio sync issues. This affects file over 3GBs in size which includes VOBs, 720p mkvs/wmvs, and 1080p mkvs/wmvs.

I think I need to upgrade my network equipment but just want to check before dropping a few hundred dollars. Ive been eyeing the Dlink DIR-825 and Dlink WAP-1522 but would like some suggestions before I pull the trigger. Looking to see if I even need to upgrade my equipment, might be something on the software end, or if any better hardware suggestions in that price range are available.

Also curious if a better NIC in my server may help improve performance. Not certain if something like a PCI-E Intel Pro 1000 would help network performance over the integrated NIC Im currently using? Just trying to cover my bases as I want the best network performance I can get. Well for under $300 that is.

Apparently yes, an Intel NIC would be an improvement in performance over integrated NICs:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1367842
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033774989&postcount=82

Also hit up www.smallnetbuilder.com for good reviews on routers and such.

Considering that the laptop gets better speeds and such, that does point to the Encore wireless adapters being one of the weakpoint. Then again, there probably is a larger antenna on the laptop than the Encore adapters.

Anyway, at the very least, upgrade your server's NIC to an Intel NIC.

youd also wanna look into getting a router that supports 1000Mbps speed and the wireless nic's also. i checked your router specs and it only supports 100Mbps

Back