• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help on my new build :D

computersmakemeQQ

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2012
Messages
164
Hi! I'm relatively new to hardforum, but i'm just going to get straight to it.

I will use this computer for gaming, and other than that, just for Word documents and internet browsing.

My budget is 1000 USD, possibly 50 dollars over but no more.

My current list of parts:
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68 motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759
Intel i5-2500k (going to overclock to 4.0 ghz)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560 Ti 448
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx? Item=N82E16814125406&Tpk=gigabyte%20560%20ti%20448
HDD to be determined (prices are so high D:)
SSD to be determined ( still waiting for good deal)

NZXT Havik 140(for my cpu cooler)

Phantom 410 or Source 210 Elite

P.S: I am actually going to build this in April, which is why im leaving SSD and HDD blank.

Questions:
1. Should I go for phantom 410 or Source 210 Elite?
2. Will the CPU cooler fit (heard it's kind of big)?
3. What is a good power supply?
4. Should I wait for Ivy Bridge?
 
Ivy will likely be coming out in april, performance per clock will probablly be comparable to sandy (maybe marginally better) but power at a given clockspeed should be lower and I would expect the max OC to be higher too. So assuming prices for an unlocked ivy quad aren't too different from an unlocked sandy quad it would seem the natural way to go.

The panther point chipsets will also be coming out adding native USB3 support.

Other components will likely have moved forward in that time too.

In general it just doesn't make sense to plan out a PC build more than a month or so in advance.
 
P.S: I am actually going to build this in April, which is why im leaving SSD and HDD blank.
You're planning this build way too early as plugwash noted. Our hardware recommendations tend to change monthly and somtimes even weekly due to parts becoming out of stock, outdated, outperformed, or overpriced. As such, if you want an up-to-date build list, please come back and ask when you're 2-3 weeks away from buying. Otherwise, you're gonna saddle yourself with an old/outdated build list. Especially considering that your April timeframe puts you right around the launch of Ivy Bridge.
 
Oh okay.

I was putting April as an estimate, but i guess I probably should wait a while to plan.

Thanks for the feedback guys! :D
 
Back
Top