HELP! New build won't boot! Anybody with experience have AIM?

Noah

Limp Gawd
Gigabyte GA-945P-S3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Corsair XMS2 Dominator 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 800
EVGA GeForce 7600GT PCI Express x16 video
Western Digital 160 GB SATA 3.0
Antec P160 case
Antec True Power Trio 550W

I've replaced every single component (yes, every single one) and the same ting happens -- the fans whirr, the hard drive purrs, but nothing displays on the screen. I tried different monitors, same thing.

What am I doing wrong? Anybody want to talk to me on AIM and help me run this down? (It's my second build).. my AIM SN is "noahissex".. (or you can post in here) help would be greatly appreciated

It sounds crazy, but i experienced your situation twice with two totally different builds and resetting the BIOS worked.

OK, I'm on it. I guess that just consists of removing the battery and putting it back?

Either way, I'm also suspicious that I'm not installing the LGA755 CPU properly. Any tips?

There should be a jumper on the board that will reset it.

And with LGA755 installation, there is a notch on both sides of the processor that directly matches with the socket so there is really no way you could mess it up unless if you forced it in and bent pins

I recently had an issue with my main rig where it would turn on (case fans/heat sink fan/video card fan spins, hard drives whur) and there would not be any video whatsoever (including bios) that would show up on the monitor. After checking video/psu/mobo it turned out to be the CPU.

Poor Opty 185...I've yet to oc my replacement 165.

kuyaglen said:
I recently had an issue with my main rig where it would turn on (case fans/heat sink fan/video card fan spins, hard drives whur) and there would not be any video whatsoever (including bios) that would show up on the monitor. After checking video/psu/mobo it turned out to be the CPU.

Poor Opty 185...I've yet to oc my replacement 165.

I'm thinking it could be the CPU now, I did the BIOS reset by putting a jumper in the two pins for Clear CMOS and it didn't work.

Something else that just came to mind, the vid card and the monitor.

How are you hooking it up? and what monitor are you using?

Pull the rig out of the case, unplug all the drives, and boot it. Leave only the video card, RAM, processor and HSF plugged in.

I'm betting it's shorting out.

I once had an extra brass standoff in there. Make sure ALL the wiring is correct. Double and triple check.

mdameron said:
Pull the rig out of the case, unplug all the drives, and boot it. Leave only the video card, RAM, processor and HSF plugged in.

I'm betting it's shorting out.

I once had an extra brass standoff in there. Make sure ALL the wiring is correct. Double and triple check.

But the fans are spinning up. Could that still cause it?

Oh yeah definitely.

When I had the brass standoff in there, it turned on. Wouldn't do anything else though.

I thought it was RAM. Drove to fry's. No worky. Thought it was mobo. Drive to fry's. no worky. Drive to fry's in a rage of fury with PC in hand. They point out the brass standoff.

::shoots self in foot::

tazzmissionx said:
Something else that just came to mind, the vid card and the monitor.

How are you hooking it up? and what monitor are you using?

DVI to a Dell 2007WFP

Noah said:
But the fans are spinning up. Could that still cause it?

In fact, I definitely remember it starting up and not doing anything else. I remember the "debugging" LED screen going absolutely haywire on the mobo and I couldnt' read the number to look in the manual to see what the hell was going on, cause it was changing so fast.

Shorting out doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't turn on.

mdameron said:
Oh yeah definitely.

When I had the brass standoff in there, it turned on. Wouldn't do anything else though.

I thought it was RAM. Drove to fry's. No worky. Thought it was mobo. Drive to fry's. no worky. Drive to fry's in a rage of fury with PC in hand. They point out the brass standoff.

::shoots self in foot::

Forgot about the brass standoffs, I learned from that the first time I ever built a computer, always found that it was odd that I could turn on the computer by touching the case. :D

the 7600GT uses a DVI-I port (transmits analog and digital) so that rules out possible connection issues with the Dell monitor

I just took it out of the case and tried to boot it.

No go. It still outputs nothing. I liked the idea though, do I have to put it on a specific surface? It's on the side panel of my case right now.

No luck, but something new came up.

I'm using these screws for the motherboard that have sleeves around them. One of the screws went in between the two sets of RAM slots. Now, it's stuck under the slot. Would that cause a short?

Hmm I really don't know on that at all. Have you read through the manual?

Never had a gigabyte board... maybe its got some weird jumpers? I would try clearing the cmos one more time. (move the little jumper over for about 10 seconds then back, and try booting again)

Sorry about all this man... computers are fun to screw with till they start screwing you right back. :)

mdameron said:

Never had a gigabyte board... maybe its got some weird jumpers? I would try clearing the cmos one more time. (move the little jumper over for about 10 seconds then back, and try booting again)

Sorry about all this man... computers are fun and till they start screwing you right back. :)

Ugh, thanks for the sympathy. :)

There was no jumper, I put one in.

mdameron said:

Sorry about all this man... computers are fun to screw with till they start screwing you right back. :)

No clue whether that screw would short it out?

Noah said:

I think it COULD. Got any needle nose plyers? Or maybe the classic turning it over and shaking violently? :D

Noah said:

If the screw is still sitting in there, I'd imagine it can cause a short. You cant get it out?

SPARTAN VI said:
If the screw is still sitting in there, I'd imagine it can cause a short. You cant get it out?

Nope *pulls out pliers*

Ok, with a lot of elbow grease, I got the screw out. Problem now is: It still doesn't boot. And I scratched a little bit of the mobo with my screwdriver on top of it.

Any more tips? I have a replacement motherboard coming but I want to get this working, that will be the third motherboard!

Noah said:
I just took it out of the case and tried to boot it.

No go. It still outputs nothing. I liked the idea though, do I have to put it on a specific surface? It's on the side panel of my case right now.

Thats not good. If you powered it on like that, you might have really killed it now.

Sloth said:
Thats not good. If you powered it on like that, you might have really killed it now.

How? It still boots the fans up, and that side panel is made of plastic.

did you try a different video card? (forgive me if you said you did already)

Even worse if it was on its side and on the carpet. I actually fell victim to static damage about a year ago.

Yeah, the side panel was on a carpet.

Do you think it blew out anything other than the motherboard? Can I keep my CPU, RAM, and video card?

Noah said:
Yeah, the side panel was on a carpet.

Do you think it blew out anything other than the motherboard? Can I keep my CPU, RAM, and video card?

i think he meant directly on the carpet. i dont see anything wrong with mobo-plastic-carpet

I don't think static damage could be severe enough to keep the pc from turning on. But I'm no expert.

I also made a mistake with the case's power switch wires and connecting them to the motherboard. Verify that you have them attached correctly!

If you have a surplus of components, or another PC, I'd start switching parts in and out to narrow things down to the motherboard and CPU. If you haven't already tried another PSU.

SPARTAN VI said:
I don't think static damage could be severe enough to keep the pc from turning on. But I'm not expert.

I also made a mistake with the case's power switch wires and connecting them to the motherboard. Verify that you have them attached correctly!

If you have a surplus of components, or another PC, I'd start switching parts in and out to narrow things down to the motherboard and CPU. If you haven't already tried another PSU.

Done this all. No luck. I'm so agitated.

is there anything you have used EVERY time while changing another part?

Here are the first things I would check. Make sure the power connectors are plugged into all of the power connectors on the board. Next, since the board is turning on, but not posting, check your jumpers. Next after those two steps, make sure the power is plugged into your video card, and after that if that still doesn't fix the problem, try a different power supply. If all else fails try this, strip the system down to the bare essentials...Motherboard, CPU, 1 stick of ram, and the video card...That's all the help I can give you....Can you post up some pics of your build, I just want pics of the motherboard with everything plugged into it, and take multiple shots, at multiple angles, that will help all of us out in diagnosing the problem...

Heck, he can even try leaving the videocard and RAM off to see if he at least gets a beep code.

Nothing at all is happening at this point, correct? No beeps, no lights, no fans?

Back