Help migrating games/game saves to new gaming build

samduhman

[H]ard|Gawd
Guys,

Is there any good write ups or suggestions you can point me to to make this process a bit easier. The old days it would be just reinstall games from CD and copy the saves back into the folders. Well, I now have Steam, Amazon, and Origin clients with many games installed. Lets not forget games from Good old Games, Green Man gaming, GamersGate, etc, etc. The thought of finding and reinstalling all those game from different DL sources is mind numbing.

My setup will include a new 240gb Sandisk Extreme SSD as boot drive and I will still use the 1TB WD black for everything that doesn't fit.

What are best practices when installing games on this setup? I'm pretty sure they will not all fit on the SSD. Keep in mind I'm one of those types of gamers who doesn't stick to one game so it's not like I will load a game play it through and uninstall. I jump around constantly.

Guys,

Is there any good write ups or suggestions you can point me to to make this process a bit easier. The old days it would be just reinstall games from CD and copy the saves back into the folders. Well, I now have Steam, Amazon, and Origin clients with many games installed. Lets not forget games from Good old Games, Green Man gaming, GamersGate, etc, etc. The thought of finding and reinstalling all those game from different DL sources is mind numbing.

My setup will include a new 240gb Sandisk Extreme SSD as boot drive and I will still use the 1TB WD black for everything that doesn't fit.

What are best practices when installing games on this setup? I'm pretty sure they will not all fit on the SSD. Keep in mind I'm one of those types of gamers who doesn't stick to one game so it's not like I will load a game play it through and uninstall. I jump around constantly.

dont most games on steam have cloud saves now?

dont most games on steam have cloud saves now?

He doesn't just use Steam. And many Steam games don't use Steam Cloud.

Unfortunately you're just going to have to go searching for saves. Usually these days they tend to be in one of two places: either in My Documents, sometimes under My Games, or in Users/<username>/AppData/Local (or Roaming)/.

As for the games themselves, on Steam the best thing to do is install on a seperate drive, and use Steam Mover to put the games you want on the SSD. For Steam you can just install Steam and copy over your steamapps folder, and everything should work fine. Similar concept with Origin, but I'm not sure about the other services. Probably just have to reinstall those manually.

Steam itself is actually portable. Just copy the whole Steam directory and then put a shortcut to it in the startup folder in the start menu. Tada.

As for Origin and Amazon, sorry can't help. I don't use those. Also as a misc note, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, and Minecraft are portable (well....minecraft you copy the appdata folder to copy the game)

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming. I'm going to start attacking this build over the next few days. I've been digging through my MaximumPCs mags and I found a couple good ideas. One may be a application called Game Save Manager. I haven't had a lot of time to check it out yet.

copy your my documents on old pc and then paste it on the new pc.

saves moved:p

Arent they in your documents folder?

Of course, there's a good chance the game will detect the move and wipe them anyway. But for the most part, a simple copy should work.

Get a program like savegamebackup and/or gamesavemanager. Both will scan you pc, make a list of your games, find the saves automatically and back them up. You can then copy those folder/files onto a USB and then transfer to your new computer. One of them also has an option for Steam games.

Back