Help me repair this PSU

FireBean

Gawd
I fried a silverstone OP750 a few months ago. I would really like to get it repaired, but I cannot see what components got fried. I contacted SilverStone and due to security reasons, they cannot help. Eerrr.... ok.

What happen is that I was putting the cover on the PSU while it was live. I KNOW IT WAS STUPID! I KNOW THAT I COULD OF KILLED MYSELF. It jumped a spark one one of the heatsinks. I cannot see any other damage other than where is jumped. Please help me out here people. I also have 7MP photos if anyone wants me to email them. Also there are no fuses on this PSU, its all digital.

P1093112.jpg

P1093104.jpg

P1093105.jpg
P1093107.jpg

P1093108.jpg

P1093109.jpg

My non-expert opine: Buy a new one. You'll just drive yourself nuts and end up causing more problems trying to fix it.

I assume you have tried to power it up after this and it did not power on at all. If so have you checked the fuses? If not try it. You may have not damaged a thing except the heatsink.

There is a fuse. There is always a fuse. It's probably hiding in heatshrink tubing near the front of the board. No matter - you got a spark off the primary heatsink, so the fuse is good. The pics are no help - all they do is tell me the cause of failure is not obvious. I can tell you it's probably somewhere on the secondary, but that's about it.

I wouldn't bother with this. Not worth it. Even if you can find the failed parts, you then have to find replacements for those parts and have the soldering gear and expertise to replace them. That can be difficult to downright impossible, depending on the part.

Yes, please don't work on it, it will just be another excuse too accidentally kill yourself.

Back