Help me please

FRZ

2[H]4U
So its time to set my new computer up. My Klipsch Promedia ultra speakers died on me over a year ago after 3 years of music bliss (god I love them) and after countless repair attempts and replacements, I have given up hope. My new PC will have a ASUS Essence STX to compliment my Sennhieser IE8s, but I'd like to get a nice digital speaker system to add some room filling sound as well. I looked up systems but it seems theres not that many out there anymore. Could you guys recommend a nice 5.1 speaker system with a digital connection. It will be mostly used to listen to music as any gaming Ill use the sennhiesers and I dont watch movies using the computer. Max im looking to spend is 300. Thanks guys;)

P.S. I like basssss:cool:

Save more money.

At that price point, you're asking for something worse than the Promedia Ultras...

...unless you're willing to ditch 5.1. Besides, why surround sound for just music?

I just figured there were no 2.1 speaker sets that could even come close to the ultras so I thats why I'd prefer 5.1. I still have all 5 speakers from the klipsch just the sub/amp is busted.

Based on the newegg pics, the speakers on the ultras just use standard speaker cable. All you need is a receiver and a replacement sub, though you prob won't be able to use the control terminal. But that would probably be a better starting point for you. Look for a used receiver on ebay and /or a used sub that you could hook up to it.

Use your Ultras since they still should work and you should be set. Just check what resistance the speakers are (4ohm, 6 ohm or 8ohm)

ya it uses the normal speaker cable. what about the Z-5500 digi? should I just look to find another set of ultras? Can a speaker set from 03 still be this good lol

FRZ, the quality of speakers has very little to do with age. The Klipsch Ultras are great compared to computer speakers, but they are still just computer speakers. This means that the lower mid is cutoff (120hz on this model so it's not too bad, but it's nothing special).

If you want a new set of speakers that are any good the speakers will cost $200-300 and that's before even considering a sub or receiver. If you can afford $500-600 then there's definitely some great options you could go with, but based on your budget and what your situation is that's my rec.

If you get a good sub and an ok receiver then you could always upgrade the speakers and receiver (if necessary) later. I mean from what I can tell you're currently happy with your speakers but you need a sub. Since you want a surround setup and want to stay under $300 your best option is to stick with the speakers you have and get a sub and receiver to complement them. At least for the present.

Not only can 2 channel speakers be as good, they can be much better. It is a simple matter of money. The less speakers you have at a given price point, the more you can spend per speaker. So supposing you do go the new speaker route, and you don't care about surround sound, you'd get better speakers buying a 2.1 set than a 5.1 set.

Also age doesn't matter all that much with speakers. Speaker technology does progress, but not like computer technology does. It isn't as though 2 year old speakers are hopelessly out of date. Indeed, many of the current designs on the market are 5 years old or more.

Also seamless is correct, that if you want some really big bass, you need to consider getting a receiver and a home theater sub.

I would consider looking at craigslist post. I got myself B&W Dm602 x2 and DM601 for a total of 50 dollars. Then I just found a used received for 80 dollars on ebay which I think I overpayed but for 130 dollars my system sounds better than any of logitechs stuff klips promedia.

Also age doesn't matter all that much with speakers. Speaker technology does progress, but not like computer technology does. It isn't as though 2 year old speakers are hopelessly out of date. Indeed, many of the current designs on the market are 5 years old or more.

For a little more clarity on the topic, speakers are a lot like furniture. Even cheap plywood will last a long time treated properly. Something that's hard oak and well constructed will last a long time. Once you get out of the pc speaker range, speakers for the most part use very old technology. There are some modern innovations that do fancy things, but for the most part a really good, well-constructed speaker will stay a well-constructed speaker.

That's why people are willing to drop so much money into a speaker or surround setup (it's not actually that uncommon for people to drop hundreds or thousands on good speaker setups since they last so long).

Also seamless is correct, that if you want some really big bass, you need to consider getting a receiver and a home theater sub.

Yep, depending on what price you're able to find a sub and receiver for, you could possibly also get some speakers, but since you already have speakers it's probably wiser to focus on the receiver and sub and upgrade the speakers later, although it does depend on what you want.

If you're more interested in music and deep bass doesn't matter that much to you, there's ample good deals to be had on passive speakers for a surround setup provided you can get a receiver very cheap. If you can devote $200+ to the speakers, you should be able to get yourself a very nice setup.

I can get a working set of the ultras for 300ish. Would it be better to get those or try and find a receiver/sub combo and match them to speakers

Find a receiver and sub to match with the speakers. The sub is the weak link on the Ultras so it'd be pointless to buy a whole new pair just to get another sub that in all likelihood may blow out on you again.

What would be comparable to the sub in the ultras sq wise? And would any receiver work?

Yea I thought they were going to be broken or something when I saw them on CL. I emailed the guy and he said they were perfectly fine. The reason I got them so cheap is because I don't think the guy knew what he had because I when I got there he said he had not used them in a long time and had them in his closet. Now I just need to get a good amp. Any suggestions?

Back