• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me pick my new PSU

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
3,194
Hello I've have had a terrible time with my computer lately, my Mobo died x2 (still need to RMA the second one hope they don't complain) and I've had one HD die and random restarts video corruptions etc etc.

Well after the second mobo die with the final outcome like the first I decided that its the PSU causeing the problem and its got to go. The current one is an antec smart power 330 I was thinking of going to an Antec True430 from new egg. Here is whats in my system :

Axp 2400+ (might RMA)
Asus a7v 266 E /w Raid
Ati Radeon 9800 pro (BBA)
3com nic 10/100
1 maxtor 17 gig hd, nothing special
1 WD 20 gig HD, nothing special (off for RMA)
1 sony CD-RW crx-145E
1 Generic DVD drive (Nec I think)

(optional things that might show up in this system)
Asus aft panel
Philips Acoustic edge Sound card (pos, might get something better when I'm working)
different 3com nic
Ati tv wonder VE
2 drives in raid
2 x fans, (not sure of the size) 1 is about 1 to 1 1/2 inch in accross, the oter is about 3 to 4 inches.


None of the optional equipment might not ever appear in this system (expect the aft panel)
I have moved to a new place but I'm sure of the power here, I'm running on just a power strip (I have no money for a UPS) everything seems ok and fine there.


So... what do you think of my choice and is there something better or that I'm over looking. I'm trying to stay in the 60 to about 70 range becasue I have at least 1 to 2 more things to RMA and money is a huge problem.
 
Sounds good to me; Also, consider the Fortron/Sparkle units, they are solid performers aswell.
 
Thanks I'll look into them, I reciently look at the 14 way posted on the front page and I saw FS in the mix, I have never really heard of 'em.


I really think it is my PSU that was clunking things up last time I look (when my system was working) my 12 volt rail was frequently at 11.43 and my 5v at about 5.47 or .63. I don't think it was ESD but I could be wrong.
 
IF you haven't bought yet, you might want to reconsider. Coolmax is just this side of generic, and it not known for high-quality units.
 
I'm bumping this because I'm researching wile I'm trying to get money to buy this.

Its come down to the Antec ture 430 VS. the Fortron 400

I think I need just a bit over 400 to be comfy but I could be wrong (according to the watt calc in the faq)
also the Antec specs quoted via newegg has the +12 line @ 20 amps versus the Fortron @ 15.

I don't know They are about the same price and I know the antec is supposed to be self adjusting, ad just like to finally button this system up once and for all.

What do you all say.
 
a 350W is more than enough to handle everything you listed. However, this is the [H] and we do not settle for good enough. Get a Sparkle/Fortron 400W or better. (Note: Sparkle models that start with FSP only!)
 
"350 watts" doesn't mean anything. You need to have a break down rail by rail of the amperage required for your system, which is nicely provided by this site


Between those supplies, I'd definitly take the Antec because it is known to have cleaner and stabler output*

*For non-heavy oc'ing
 
Ok now I feel dumber I don't know HOW to use that site!

I'll think I'm going to go antec
 
thats a pretty cool site. I need at least 370w total and 20a on the 12v line. I was glad to see my true480 on the list of acceptable psu's
 
I figured out that the amp counting site was being screwed up by my ad blocker,

I'm still going with the Antec true 430 but Please talk some sense into me

I'm so strapped for cash (and this stupid job might as well not have contacted me)

that I'm considering... this. I can't order right away anyway.

Watts seem to be just over what I need, Amps look ok... Help!
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-153-006&DEPA=0
 
Thermaltake PSUs are not all that bad.... I'd still go with a Fortron, though, because the voltages don't vary much... I've seen the TT supplies go wild in that regard...
 
I have an Antec True Power and it's rock solid for me. Better #'s then advertised
 
Back
Top