• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me help my neighbor

Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
50
A neighbor of mine somehow ended up with a set of old Dell 2.0 speakers (I did a quick search and they look like the A215s) but no power cable. I told her I’d try and find something that would work for her, but I don’t know enough about this stuff to be confident I won’t accidently give her something that is incompatible. Could anyone give me an idea of what specs I should be looking for to make sure I don’t blow up this poor woman’s speakers? (The port on the back of the speaker says DC IN 12v)

I dug through my box of random cables/other electronic junk and came across an adapter with a sticker that reads:

Direct Plug-In
Class 2 Transformer
I/P: 120V AC 60Hz 9w
O/P: 12V AC 600mA

But I suspect the fact that the output is AC rather than DC may be a problem… is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.
 
I would think the speakers are DC, I wouldn't plug that one in..

milliamps/amps don't matter, what you need to get right is the voltage and AC/DC. There should also be a symbol that shows the polarity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols), I'm not sure if polarity would matter with speakers though..

Radioshack sells adapters and the sales people should be able to get you the right one if you bring them in.
 
Oh i see, She must be attractive huh :p

Yeah it will need a 12v dc current if you lived close by i have tons of them.
 
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Oh i see, She must be attractive huh :p

lol I wish. She's a few years too old for me and has some sort of mental handicap (couldn’t tell you what… not exactly the type of question you ask somebody lol, but it’s apparent) and I guess I'm just a nice enough guy that she knows she can come to me for help (one time she came over saying something was wrong with her computer so I checked it out and she had just make like 30 copies of the solitaire and pinball icons on her desktop).

So anyway, anything with a 12v dc output will work, regardless of Hz and mA and all that other junk? I would have preferred being able to give her the other one since I don’t even know what it goes to, but I do have one for something that I never really use anymore with the following specs:

Input: 120VAC 60Hz
Output: 12VDC 150mA

That should work?
 
what is the current input on those? you will need an adapter with sufficient current to drive the amplifiers without distorting.
 
NO.

150 mA is less than 600 mA.

The volts need to match. You need at least 600mA.

Well we don't know what the original power supply was, It may have been .6 amps So it would be prudent to at least have a .5 amp psu.

Also good on you OP for being a nice person.
 
Back
Top