Help me fold

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
No, I don't want you to pump up my scores. I need no technical advice on Folding, the client is easy to load and does not require a lot of tweeking. I need your help Folding though. My wife of 26 years was diagnosed with a type of brain cancer called Glioblastoma. I thought that it was a big scary word and probably should not have wikipedia'd it in the surgical waiting room of Tacoma General. It's nearly always fatal and quickly at that.

That was January, she's gone through chemo and radiation, and the tumor has not been stopped. She's on a new treatment called Avasten which attempts to stop the growth of blood vessels associated with tumors and with that we hope for the best. With the exception of some vision loss, she's the same person, although we had a scare with a recent swelling episode that was a harbinger of things to come.

I don't know if folding is going to find the cure for this - I know Folding helps the research though. This beast is something I feel so powerless to battle. I can't do anything directly to stop it, but I can fold, and I can ask you to fold. Although my individual contribution seems small, I know that we make a huge difference together. Sorry if I appear a bit emotional, yesterday afternoon I had the doctor sign the "accelerated benefit" form to send to my life insurance company stating that she has less than 12 months to live. Evi and I are going to go see things and do thing while she is able, and while we are away the computers in our house will be humming. For those who are so inclined prayers are appreciated as well.

damn that sucks to hear.. but hopefully some good out it can come and get people more involved and who knows maybe a cure may be found in the years to come so no one else has to suffer from the same fate as your wife.. well i hope you two get to do everything you want before the time comes when its no longer possible and she gets to enjoy what time she has left..

Last edited:
wow. thanks for sharing your story. I will definitely say a prayer.....

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I'll start my GPUs folding again this evening. I may even be able to get my cpu running bigadv if the temps stay under control.

I don't know if folding is going to find the cure for this - I know Folding helps the research though. This beast is something I feel so powerless to battle. I can't do anything directly to stop it, but I can fold, and I can ask you to fold. Although my individual contribution seems small, I know that we make a huge difference together.

First of all you and Evi will be in my prayers. In my line of work (MRI Tech) sometimes I am the first one to see these things and it just angers and saddens me to see these things. Maybe that's part of my motivation-stop finding this stuff or watch it go away because of something good coming from what we do.

I quoted the above from your posting because it drove the point home for me. Well said.

Hang in there and take good care of Evi.

I couldnt be emotionally detached enough to be an MRI tech, or a doctor for that matter I dont think. Not that they're all stone cold but I think every little spec I found on an MRI would make me cry or sad or something.

*holds up his bag of Lance Armstrong Foundation bracelets, his shirts, and sun glasses that he bought to benefit cancer research*

I lost the woman I loved to cancer. And she was only 17 at the time. *sigh* I do what I can to get by still and that was 12 years ago. I'll keep on folding and mention you heavilly in my prayers.

Shane

Thanks for sharing your story, I have several family members pass on from various forms of cancer. My own mother and sister have been diagnosed Ovarian Cancer.

Wow guys. I haven't dealt with these situations on a personal level like you have, but your stories remind me why I do it.

I will say a prayer for the both of you. God bless and I hope you find some peace in all of this.

That said, fold on my brothers! We can do more now than ever before!

I just wish I would have found out about folding sooner, could have been doing it for so many years now.

It's stories like this that made me start with UD all those years ago. We need to beat this beast.

I couldnt be emotionally detached enough to be an MRI tech, or a doctor for that matter I dont think. Not that they're all stone cold but I think every little spec I found on an MRI would make me cry or sad or something.
I hate to say this but it does not compare to the days I did CAT scans. One night I scanned two guys that were shot in the head. That was tough to get over.

*holds up his bag of Lance Armstrong Foundation bracelets, his shirts, and sun glasses that he bought to benefit cancer research*
Got mine and a Relay for Life shirt to boot.

I lost the woman I loved to cancer. And she was only 17 at the time. *sigh* I do what I can to get by still and that was 12 years ago. I'll keep on folding and mention you heavilly in my prayers.

Shane
My condolences, that's awfully young.

Thank you for sharing your story and we will all say a prayer for your wife.

This is exactly why I got into folding, even going out and getting a dedicated rig. I have seen much heartbreak happen among family and friends due to diseases like cancer.

Fold on, and lets all do our part!

As someone who has lost family members to cancer, the hardest thing to come to terms with, is that your loved ones do not have much time.

My thoughts go out to you and your family.

You both are in my prayers.
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Back